Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

winogcrehan

Banned
Hey Ladies, I need your advice. I found this eally beautiful dress that looks amazing on me.
I was thinking about wearing it to a wedding. The wedding starts at 4pm for the ceremony and reception will shortly follow at about 6 - 7pm. I was telling a friend about it, and she thinks that I shouldn't wear red, because it will be 'asking for too much attention' and it's rude. I never really thought about this before, so I need advice. What do you guys think? Is it rude/inconsiderate to wear red to a wedding?

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I really don't think so. I've been to plenty of weddings where guests have worn red. A few people wore red to my wedding - it didn't even cross my mind that there was anything wrong with it.

I think the only real no-no for weddings is white/ivory colours for obvious reasons.

I recently wore red to a friend's wedding. Albeit because she asked me and a few friends to do so, so that we'd match the wedding colours. I think red was a nice foil to her white dress.

I've honestly never heard of red being an issue so don't think you have anything to worry about.

Flicka

One Too Many
I agree with Adrian - I've been to plenty of weddings where people wore red. The only no-nos I know is white, like Adrian said, and black because it's a joyous occasion and hence black (for women obviously) isn't appropriate.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I think it's probably o.k. for the ladies to wear a red dress for a wedding, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want a guy wearing a bright red suit to my wedding, truly disgusting colored tuxes are reserved for the groomsmen...

:D

Drappa

One Too Many
It may be a cultural thing perhaps. Don't Chinese brides wear red on their wedding day? Maybe your friend got confused, because unless the bride is wearing it I also don't see anything wrong with it. At least it's not jeans...

I Think it highly inappropriate if your the On friendly terms, Ex-Wife

Joan+Collins+Heart+Truth+Red+Dress+Collection+WLG1YTdpktfl.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have always heard that one shouldn't wear red or white to a wedding unless you are asked to do so by the bride. White tries to look like the bride, and red is such an eye catching color it draws attention away from the bride.

Or at least those are the rules i've heard/ read in ettiquette books.

In the end, it's up to you. If you really like the dress, and don't think the bride or her family would mind or care, go for it!

Flicka

One Too Many
I have always heard that one shouldn't wear red or white to a wedding unless you are asked to do so by the bride. White tries to look like the bride, and red is such an eye catching color it draws attention away from the bride.

Or at least those are the rules i've heard/ read in ettiquette books.

In the end, it's up to you. If you really like the dress, and don't think the bride or her family would mind or care, go for it!

This must be one of those cultural things, because I've never seen it in etiquette books here (not that I've read any printed after 1960, but anyway). As for Britain, I consulted Debrett's and they say:

Head-to-toe outfits in white or cream should never be worn and all black, unless cleverly accessorised, may look too sombre.

They say nothing about red, so I assume that Debrett's thinks it OK, anyway (and they know British etiquette).

Maybe America has rules of its own?

betty amazing

New in Town
I'd ask the bride if you can - some people have really odd rules when it comes to their wedding. When I get hitched I'm sure I wouldn't be too fussed - I'd only think it was a little bit odd if you were wearing a pale, 'bridal' colour.

xx

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
The only "rule" I've heard is to avoid wearing white or ivory.

When we got married, I could barely tell you what my own parents wore! It just isn't something you notice or worry about on your wedding day.

I think the dress will be just fine!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think any colour, apart from what shade the bride is wearing is fair game really. I have worn black to a few weddings. I think upstaging the bride by wearing her colour is the major faux pas. These days i think the majority of people are fairly relaxed about wedding attire, perhaps even a little too relaxed!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Well, I wore red with black accessories a few years ago at a friend's wedding back home in Romania. She couldn't have cared less, in fact complimented me about my choice, while she herself in her pale green knee length dress was less than the conventional bride, yet appropriate for the modest service in a quaint little church and the garden party that followed.
Still, other attendants gave me dirty looks, and I felt not only overdressed, but also inappropriately coloured. It was only after returning from the wedding that I read about red - as a colour block at least - not being a suitable choice for weddings as it is too loud. It might be worth to mention that the wedding took place in Eastern Europe, so perhaps in the context of a society that tends to be more traditional/old fashioned in some ways, the "no red" rule stood firm?! Yet when checking with my mother/grandmother, it did not seem to be a rule they were aware of., and I had seen people at weddings before wearing red...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto