Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the vintage crowd the drunken costumed crowd? A thread for "squares"

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Have we become the bombastic drunken crowd that is cranky about respecting closing time even though we don’t want to go and are dressed to the nines?

I was on the phone with a friend of mine in New York and she complained that I go to bed too early and that she’s eating dinner at 8:00 p.m. when I’m in my pajamas. She doesn’t understand why I don’t want her to call me after 9:00 p.m.

So what are you like? You like to stay home and have fun and play board games, you know, the things families and many people did back in the day? You like to hang out with the fam? Read books or have small get-togethers with your friends, maybe have Bridge night? Perhaps put on your vintage apron (gals) and serve up some of your home made creations?

Do you like the vintage crowd because you think they are clean cut crowd that likes what you like and won’t judge you for it or look down on your for being “old fashioned”, or do you think they are the fast and finely dressed crowd and you want to be seen with them and like to get liquored up in glitzy places?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Bottom line is I see a lot of stereotyping on here or the need to define oneself into a vintage subset. There are as many ways to live vintage as there were people alive at that time. I am introducing the oft ridiculed square way of life as a viable option and topic for discussion.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
PrettySquareGal said:
I am introducing the oft ridiculed square way of life as a viable option and topic for discussion.

The "oft-ridiculed square way of life" is the bedrock of this joint and by far the dominant point of view. For all intents and purposes, it is the house ethos, the house management and the the house rules. The forum's owner and essentially all of its moderators/bartenders ascribe to it.

In short, this thread is the Fedora Lounge itself.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
The "oft-ridiculed square way of life" is the bedrock of this joint and by far the dominant point of view. For all intents and purposes, it is the house ethos, the house management and the the house rules. The forum's owner and essentially all of its moderators/bartenders ascribe to it.

In short, this thread is the Fedora Lounge itself.

VEry philisophical

I'm not sure, I come in somewhere between the two--frequently logged-on or otherwise operating well into the wee hours, but not partying or "living it up"--that's largely because that time of night is when I usually do my best work, to say nothing of my peculiar specializations for nocturnal activity such as the weird miswired eyes that let me see very well in darkness but leave me half-blind in daylight.

However, I can still throw down a "Now get off my lawn..." with the best of 'em. lol
----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Imperial Starfleet Deployed - City in the Clouds
via FoxyTunes

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I don't drink, (apart from a glass of wine every 3 months or so)...so I guess I'm pretty square too then? [huh] Would rather stay in and do something constructive. Much more fun than running a gauntlet of police at 2 AM and waking up the next morning with an incurable hangover. *yucky* :(

Tiller

Practically Family
Maybe its because I live in the country, but the whole bar scene is boring. The most fun I ever had was when I was at friends houses having parties there, not out at a bar room. Around here bar rooms are mostly filled with mild aged men who have nothing better to do with their time, but sit at a bar, well watching tv. Every bar has its set of locals that go there, and anyone else who disturbs the status quot is stared at like you were "strangers" in a 1950's B Western. Although to be fair I found the bars at college to be almost as boring.

I rarely go to clubs, because I hate rap music(Plus the whole stand in line for two hours thing just to get into a place that has 800 people in a room that was built to hold 500, never has made sense to me). My girlfriend and I will go to dances, which usually ends up being more "country and western" around here which are alright, and even fun sometimes. I'd rather be at a place though that played live Jazz, or Blues music. Or even better a place with a big band, that has crooners and beautiful women in long evening gowns singing their hearts out.

Basically the modern clubs and bars (especially around here) I just find boring. The bars around here are for when I reach about the age of 55. But maybe I'm just a 140 year old in a 23 year old's body, and belong at the Diogenes Club. :p

Tiller

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
An old soul! Great!
A merry old soul, just like old Nat King Cole;)

Now someone like that singing, with my girl sitting next to me wearing a fine long evening gown smoking a cigarette would be worth my time. Bartender I'll take another shoot!lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Tiller said:
A merry old soul, just like old Nat King Cole;)

Now someone like that singing, with my girl sitting next to me wearing a fine long evening gown smoking a cigarette would be worth my time. Bartender I'll take another shoot!lol

I admit readily that if I had nightclubs around here where I could get all dolled up in an evening gown and listen to a live band or crooners, and have the whole thing be dignified, magical and pretty, I would go.

Tiller

Practically Family
PrettySquareGal said:
I admit readily that if I had nightclubs around here where I could get all dolled up in an evening gown and listen to a live band or crooners, and have the whole thing be dignified, magical and pretty, I would go.

Me to. It's my dream date really. Everyone in their best. Fine music playing in the background. The liquor flowing, with that blue haze of smoke drifting just a few inches above everyone's head.

Admittedly since we can't smoke in bars anymore that last part won't happen, but the rest would be perfect.:D

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Tiller said:
Me to. It's my dream date really. Everyone in their best. Fine music playing in the background. The liquor flowing, with that blue haze of smoke drifting just a few inches above everyone's head.

Admittedly since we can't smoke in bars anymore that last part won't happen, but the rest would be perfect.:D

I think I could do without the haze of smoke, myself.

Tiller

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
I think I could do without the haze of smoke, myself.
:eek:fftopic: Come on now Pipe Smoke is some of the best smelling stuff around ;).

But you don't have to worry in the state of New York. I can't smoke in a bar even if I own the place [huh].

nulty

One of the Regulars
I dunno....back in the day before TV the local joint was the places folks would go to socialize. Jackie Gleason said it was TV that destroyed the atmosphere of the local bar . I used to love going down to the the corner watering hole with a pack of smokes and an old fedora on my noggin and just sit there talking to guys. Great sprawling conversations...you could just rip the whole word apart and make a friend you might never run into again.

I often think about what places like that were like back in the day before suburbia robbed us of our individual souls....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
nulty said:
I often think about what places like that were like back in the day before suburbia robbed us of our individual souls....

The Golden Era had its share of "squares" as well. They were called prohibitionists.

(Funny thing is, the American Prohibition Party still exists, and fronts a presidential candidate every four years. Never wins, though. It's just too square for today's self-named "squares".)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112