Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a name for this look?

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
The pedal pusher or capri with a over skirt. This pic is the closest I could find but what I am really looking for is it with a full skirt. (Like Lucy wore)

enchantra_red_emb_tn.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
You mean is there a fashion term for wearing a skirt over capris? I've never seen them attached so I'm not sure why there'd be a unifying name for them.

I don't recall the I Love Lucy outfit that you're referencing, but in the picture you posted, she's just wearing a dress that buttons all the way up, which hypothetically could come in any fullness. A redingote is similar, but instead of purposely leaving the skirt un-buttoned like your example, it is, by design, open below the waist, like:

tvsp3897j29a.jpg

But I've never seen them worn over pants.

Hestia

Familiar Face
Play clothes?

I've seen a lot of patterns for sets like this one, where there are shorts and a wrap or button-up skirt to go over it. When those were listed in old catalogs they were often called "play clothes", even for adult women.

I don't know if that's exactly what you mean, I've only seen them with shorts, not capris, and I don't know the Lucy outfit you mention.

Hestia

Familiar Face
Bombshell Becca said:

Here it is in the doll version

LucyLAAtLastMattel.jpg

Hmm, yes, looks more formal, that's definitely not play clothes. Can't help you on the outfit's official name, though the top part does look like a sheer redingote.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Cute functional style. Saw 'Melinda Gordon' wear something like that with pants and a full skirted, front opened dress on Ghost Whisperer which was similar to the black one worn by the doll but in white.

Would anyone who originally wore something like that understand if you say: "button down play dress over pedal pushers"?!:eusa_doh:

Google image search mainly shows up patterns with play suits in combination with button down skirts where they're just labelled as 'playsuits'. I think that's cute too.:)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I always accoicated that look with a late 50s chain smoking stay at home wife, hair in roolers, sitting at the kitchen table, wanting to *look* glam, but not really.

Its a look for the house, you wouldnt wear that out.

I never thought it was a sought after look, but rather a look associated with what I described above. [huh]

LD

shepkatt

Familiar Face
I have an outfit like that which I won on eBay. The pants were so not measured correctly because they didn't even come close to fitting me.. I will have to dig it out and take a picture of it.. Or see if I can find the auction pictures from ebay.. It is pink tafetta dress with wide collar in pink and gray stripes.. The pants are made of the tafetta material but in the pink and gray stripey material. It is VERY cute.. needs some mending but I wish it would fit up over my hips.. Sadly.. not so much.

edited because I can't spell early in the morning.

Blondie

Practically Family
I have seen several variations of this,
the button thru playsuit ( where the blouse & shorts are one garment ) with overskirt or the wrap skirt over capris ( pictured )

1231au10.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I find this look either very sporty, which renders it quite practical for things like tennis and so forth for those of us who don't really like our thighs....

or for the more fine fabrics or sheers over trousers look, it is super glam in a very insouciant way. Way more glam then a housedress or shirtwaist for say hosting an afternoon with the girls, or even a casual cocktail party with mixed company.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
I think I am going to get the actual measurements of my pink tafetta number and document all of it's flaws and pop it into the Classifieds..

Vanessa

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
very insouciant way. Way more glam then a housedress or shirtwaist for say hosting an afternoon with the girls, or even a casual cocktail party with mixed company.

Extremely glam for at-home wear. Lucille Ball often wore this look during the run of her show - it's one of my favorite looks on her, actually. I can't find any stills online right now, but I have the entire series on dvd. The pants were often brocade or taffeta with a full split skirt (often net or tulle) over them, usually full length. Incredibly glam.

shepkatt

Familiar Face
Vanessa said:
That is a WONDERFUL outfit. Love it, wish I had one like it.

I completely agree.. I just wish it fit me. The dress part fits perfectly.. I toyed with the idea of taking it to my tailor and having him seam it up in front.. but decided that I would just list it for sale. Have to get the actual measurements because the ones I purchased it thinking they were - aren't.. :)

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
Vanessa said:
Extremely glam for at-home wear. Lucille Ball often wore this look during the run of her show - it's one of my favorite looks on her, actually. I can't find any stills online right now, but I have the entire series on dvd. The pants were often brocade or taffeta with a full split skirt (often net or tulle) over them, usually full length. Incredibly glam.

I remember watching the show as a little girl and just thinking "Wow that is so beautiful, I want to wear that some day!"

So I'm searching for it now.

Lauren: That Esty link is to DIE for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points