Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a genuine B-3 or a costume sheepskin jacket? (The War Lover content)

Yep, I still try to keep a few PBRs in the refrigerator. Got some there right now. May have to have one in a few hours, now that you got me thinking about it. And the Camels; glad I don't still have any of those! When Heartbreak Hotel was on the radio, I was waay to young to be driving around doing anything without my parents. You are telling your age.

Yeah..I was kind of exaggerating..but it sounded cool..! By the time the Loco-motion hit the charts...a couple buddies had cars...however...it was game on. Man I couldn't smoke an unfiltered camel again now...even if I had a shot of Keslers as a chaser..!
HD

Edward

Bartender
It was a 50's rock n roll fashion thing.

I had always thought the teds started in the US, but this Wiki piece suggests otherwise.

Totally different beast from your drapes, yes. As the Wikipedia article notes, rock and roll became identified with the Ted movement later on, but the clothing and Ted identity actually predates rock and roll.

I thought the Teddy Boys back then were the English equivalent of our hoodlums? Maybe they were of a better class than our fellows.

By press representation they carried blades, chains and were violent thugs (often on racial grounds), but while undoubtedly there was that element, the press also played it up a lot a la Hollister.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
What is a 'Teddy Boy'....?
OK, a lot of people will slag me off for this but Teddy Boys were a teenage cult that developed just after WWII and into the 1950s. A lot were violent thugs similar to todays young gang members.
The original 1950s style dress was as said earlier, loosely based on the Edwardian era long coats with velvet trimmings and usually with no rear vents in the jacket. The main thing that set these young men apart from the previous teenage dress was they did not look like younger versions of their fathers.
Leap forward 20 years to the Glam Rock age of the early 1970s.
With guys wearing glittery clothing and makeup there was bound to be a reaction to counter the effeminacy of of the Glam look. Somehow the kids took up Rock and Roll again, I suppose with it's tough image this is just what the kids wanted.
The dress though had become a little more flamboyant with brightly coloured 'drape' suits based on the 1950s style but sometimes with yellows bright blues reds and even pink as well as the more traditional blacks. This look still attracted young people so when youngsters, drinking and general machismo were mixed there was still the occasional fight.
Footwear: And so we come to the Steve McQueen shoes. We wore these but only ever in black and also only in lace up, as well as what were known as Brothel Creepers, big crepe soled shoes. Why Brothel Creepers is anyones guess. Sorry it may appear to diversify from the original post but the question had to be answered.
Johnny

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Moving back to the film, here are some more images of original B-3s, A2s and flight gear.

steve-mcqueen-robert-wagner-and-shirley-ann-field-filming-the-war-lover-november-1961.jpg

000940f1_medium.jpg

0018382a_medium.jpg

thewarlover2.png

the-war-lover-verliebt-in-d-4030521110991-3.jpg

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Because of this thread I got the dvd out last night and watched it once again. I noticed the credits stated it was shot at RAF Bovingdon and RAF Manston. They were fortunate at the time to have somewhat intact old air bases with nissen and quonset huts that were from the period. Most of those buildings have been torn down now, with a few towers and the command center at RAF Bentwaters acting as museums. I was in the USAF at RAF Bentwaters and Woodbridge, and although they were just closed in 1993 I have seen photos on websites and they look like they've been closed much longer. There are a few interesting facts about "The War Lover" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Lover
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tom

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the superb pictures, Andrew! ...But I still can't get over those granny house slippers Wagner is wearing. They look awful!! (I bet they are even fur lined)
Just what I said in the 'Teddy Boy' part of this thread haha But the uppers were nearly the same as McQueens, only with zips.

On another note: yes great stills, I visited here for a car swapmeet/autojumble and had to have a little explore(Around 5 years ago). The main runways were still fairly intact and you could walk them easily though there is a large market held here now. I spoke to a local who told me though some areas are still accessible the land is divided between two separate owners and disputes have arisen between them, and the owner of the non market area does not like or allow trespassers on his property and certainly not film fans just wanting a look around or amateur historians. Though I do believe veterans are ok as long as he is contacted first(sorry, I dont know his name).
Have a look at Google earth, just put in Bovingdon, Hertfordshire UK, there are a couple of photo's of market day. I have some old pictures taken with a 35mm but I have yet to scan them to this computer.
Johnny T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto