Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this pitting normal for a Schott?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
I friend recently purchased a Schott jacket and this is what is happening to the edges where there is a fold after only 3-4 wears. It looks like the top layer is falling off. I will be working with Schott to get this sorted out but wanted to check if anybody else has experienced anything like this.

Edit: He just told me that this was purchased at their annual factory sale in Dec'15.

Thank you.
FcrZF6I.jpg

Last edited:

Benproof

A-List Customer
I had a French made Schott jacket - the edges "greyed" where the dyed top layer was scrubbed off through wear through years. No patina development. I realised it was because it was made of sheep leather, not cowhide.

Yours - 3 to 4 wears. This is faulty production or poor leather selection. My oldest Schott from 1990 - nothing like this. That's the epidermis falling off the dead cowhide. Badly baked finish or acid or something. The factory should deal with it unless he bought a seconds.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
My Schott has a lot of places where the top coat has been worn through and where i can see the hide underneath.
It did however do it in a very different way, more like if it was sanded down little by little by abrasion.

This looks like the top coat is actually just falling off in large patches, almost what you see with fake leather jackets.
I think there definitely is something wrong with that jacket and your friend should get in touch with Schott.

Here are a few quick and dirty pics of my Schott 644, as you can see it wore through very differently. The wear on mine is what i would consider normal, the top coat being slowly sanded down by seatbelts, rubbing, etc.

DSC_4238_zpsdpwgl9ds.jpg

DSC_4239_zpsh3yurdcb.jpg

DSC_4240_zpsgyuh5hpm.jpg

DSC_4242_zpslckquich.jpg

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep!.....it's got a leather lurgy....hope it's not contagious. Time to talk to Schott.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos, that's perfectly normal and quite beautiful wear! By the way, excellent macro! What Nikon do you use? :D

Thanks, that's just an old D7000 with a 35mm 1.8G i just use it when i can't be arsed to get the good one out and faff on lightroom.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Also, looking at your pics, i notice the wear is on the right hand side, in line with the jean pocket location.
Any chance your friend carries a knife on a pocket clip, or something sharp getting in and out of his pocket a lot?

Or is it doing that everywhere?

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
Also, looking at your pics, i notice the wear is on the right hand side, in line with the jean pocket location.
Any chance your friend carries a knife on a pocket clip, or something sharp getting in and out of his pocket a lot?

Or is it doing that everywhere?
I just posted one picture.. The flaking is anywhere there is a fold on the jacket. Reached out to Schott. I do not think this is acceptable even for a seconds jacket.

dan_t

Practically Family
In answer to your original question - ummm, no.
If this was bought in a marketplace in Pakistan after haggling for a few minutes and paying less that the price of a pint of beer, then maybe yes.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
looks like someone smeared paint remover. or maybe it has been exposed to chemicals in trying to simulate aging, and overdid it?

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
That was prob. why it was sold as a second in the first place..........also, can you post a pic of the tags that were on this jacket? Schott has there own forum, and that's where you should post this pic.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is there any chance that the jacket is a knock-off? The reason I ask is because I've never seen a Schott jacket wear in like that, even remotely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ