Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Finally I came across of a Monza hat, home in ancient days of the woll italians hats.
See for more information http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/a-short-history-of-italian-hatters.85247/ the Monza chapter
It was made probably in the late forties or early fifties than the Cappellificio Monzese closed the doors definetevly
e7cbgh.jpg

The felt is all wool very well made
244unhy.jpg

Color of the medium felt is a deep blue, almost black
wvzv50.jpg

Size is a generous 60 cm in EU, 7 1/2 USA
2z6urle.jpg

Very well made with excellent finishes it seems a post war production
20aaqvc.jpg

Proportions are: brim 6 cm. bounded with the same color of the ribbon, crown at 11 cm. and the ribbon is 4 cm.
nbqf4w.jpg

It arrived without linen and it seems it was missed during year
Another little piece of mosaic in the heyday of the Italian hatters

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey all!
I was so impressed with my Vanzina that I decided to take a chance on another. Saw this one on the 'Bay, had to get it. Arrived today.

dfcb0096fe769b160c4ca5a6b710312b.jpg
509e44dbf775a4a1c16ba5db4d84c18d.jpg
96bdbb236787762f90323cf79a77b6eb.jpg
d592f7599f5dc51430e21acc7fce708b.jpg
f0408137219576222cb13e7dab525660.jpg
c197b8b0503664d70ab560c69f01a646.jpg
3ce77d33b999e08644c170b3c02870a8.jpg
fd8d7d66c50ca73d0088a9d72e8d5ead.jpg

Crown is just short of 6" open, brim 2 3/4". My first sharkgill bow to boot! The felt is nice and thin and light with just a bit of stiffener. Size was given as 23", seems just a hair (hare?) bigger, nothing a bit of foam tape and wearing won't fix.
Not sure of the age, but the one tag looks to me to be fairly modern. Any insights into the vintage of the thing would be appreciated.

RJR

Hey all!
I was so impressed with my Vanzina that I decided to take a chance on another. Saw this one on the 'Bay, had to get it. Arrived today.

dfcb0096fe769b160c4ca5a6b710312b.jpg
509e44dbf775a4a1c16ba5db4d84c18d.jpg
96bdbb236787762f90323cf79a77b6eb.jpg
d592f7599f5dc51430e21acc7fce708b.jpg
f0408137219576222cb13e7dab525660.jpg
c197b8b0503664d70ab560c69f01a646.jpg
3ce77d33b999e08644c170b3c02870a8.jpg
fd8d7d66c50ca73d0088a9d72e8d5ead.jpg

Crown is just short of 6" open, brim 2 3/4". My first sharkgill bow to boot! The felt is nice and thin and light with just a bit of stiffener. Size was given as 23", seems just a hair (hare?) bigger, nothing a bit of foam tape and wearing won't fix.
Not sure of the age, but the one tag looks to me to be fairly modern. Any insights into the vintage of the thing would be appreciated.
Nice.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
My favorite thread for all the Italian brands that do not fit the Olympus of the well known hatters
Anderson despite its name is an Italian manufacturer.
Probably a trademark used by some of the historians great hat factories to "get around" some obstacles on domestic and international markets.
The few hats Anderson I've seen are medium to high quality with thick felt and notable finishes

Anderson in green superior quality

2a513br.jpg

It was made probably in the late sixties with Anderson trade mark
o0tsuv.jpg

Size is a generous 58 cm in EU, 7 1/4 USA (it fit with ease the 7 3/8) with crown at 11 cm. and brim at 5 cm
14dzolk.jpg

Felt in a shade of clear "dark moss" fur felt finished plain very malleable
Lining in green and clear yellow with brand in gold
2d939mr.jpg

Excellent finishes for a classic EU hat of that era
2poaauq.jpg

Overwelted brim and ribbon matching the color felt
2lszc03.jpg

Anderson brand for the connoisseurs
mal2pu.jpg

Very interesting Italian brand of a passed golden era

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Are people not buying/wearing/posting current production Italian made hats? I see nothing, except occasionally a current production Borsalino in the Borsa thread. Its a shame.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It's complicated give you an answer that is complete and definitive as to why no one except a few will buy, wear and show the Italian production, except Borsalino, here in FL
I'll start with give you a basic premise: the best Italian current production is destined for foreign markets.
Here you can find, with some difficulty, old hats at least twenty or thirty years old, since the hat is dying in Italy for many years.
In the US there are excellent hats Italian distributors, as well as in other parts of the world, but no one seems to know.
I often wrote in my post that the hats presented are for sale.
I have had buyers from Europe, very few from North America.
I think because of FL the common trend is far from Italian production.
The wave of likes for hats in FL, I would say on a unique and incessant theme repeated endlessly, have very different characteristics from tradition and Italian production.
FL is in the tendency to use excessively the hatter as the sole depositary of the "original" hat only to see one or two repeated shapes, with boredom, endlessly.
The rule is high crown and wide brim.
Then how can you think Bob that there are users of the Italian brands outside of Borsalino?
Have you seen felts different from normal?
Rated finishes to the imagination and elegance?
Use of different materials from a prevailing normalcy?
The hats here in Italy are made with other techniques, materials and shapes that are far apart, for the most part of the readers of FL, the prevailing trends.
Since I'm curious, for the chance to have USA hats in my hands, I made a small investment in the current US mass production, Stetson, and elite M.C. Gannon and these days I will write about what I have in front of me.
Hope this helps.
Ciao Bob

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It's complicated give you an answer that is complete and definitive as to why no one except a few will buy, wear and show the Italian production, except Borsalino, here in FL
I'll start with give you a basic premise: the best Italian current production is destined for foreign markets.
Here you can find, with some difficulty, old hats at least twenty or thirty years old, since the hat is dying in Italy for many years.
In the US there are excellent hats Italian distributors, as well as in other parts of the world, but no one seems to know.
I often wrote in my post that the hats presented are for sale.
I have had buyers from Europe, very few from North America.
I think because of FL the common trend is far from Italian production.
The wave of likes for hats in FL, I would say on a unique and incessant theme repeated endlessly, have very different characteristics from tradition and Italian production.
FL is in the tendency to use excessively the hatter as the sole depositary of the "original" hat only to see one or two repeated shapes, with boredom, endlessly.
The rule is high crown and wide brim.
Then how can you think Bob that there are users of the Italian brands outside of Borsalino?
Have you seen felts different from normal?
Rated finishes to the imagination and elegance?
Use of different materials from a prevailing normalcy?
The hats here in Italy are made with other techniques, materials and shapes that are far apart, for the most part of the readers of FL, the prevailing trends.
Since I'm curious, for the chance to have USA hats in my hands, I made a small investment in the current US mass production, Stetson, and elite M.C. Gannon and these days I will write about what I have in front of me.
Hope this helps.
Ciao Bob
Thanks. I've seen nice Capeleria and Guerra. Im sure they are out there but not in this country.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bob, Guerra has a new site http://new.guerra1855.com/autunnoinverno-201516/classici/ and Capeleria means .....nothing or do you mean Cappelleria Melegari? ;)
Would you be more precise, so I try to help you
Excellent Barbisio (felt) are here https://www.levinehat.com/collections/barbisio
and here http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/barbisio
Cervo http://www.ccervo.it/pdf/2173TLS_Low.pdf sometimes is on the USA market. I will inquire and then I wiil be back with more, I hope, information

I shortened my thoughts in my first reply because I believe the situation is more complicated that what we see everyday
Maybe some others voices could help the discussion until it will be more cold and I will start to wear Italian felts in good companion of the few (Alan, Moe and someone I certinly miss)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, Guerra has a new site http://new.guerra1855.com/autunnoinverno-201516/classici/ and Capeleria means .....nothing or do you mean Cappelleria Melegari? ;)
Would you be more precise, so I try to help you
Excellent Barbisio (felt) are here https://www.levinehat.com/collections/barbisio
and here http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/barbisio
Cervo http://www.ccervo.it/pdf/2173TLS_Low.pdf sometimes is on the USA market. I will inquire and then I wiil be back with more, I hope, information

I shortened my thoughts in my first reply because I believe the situation is more complicated that what we see everyday
Maybe some others voices could help the discussion until it will be more cold and I will start to wear Italian felts in good companion of the few (Alan, Moe and someone I certinly miss)
Thank you Daniele. Yes C Melegari.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Another Italian hat that I have no certain information, but I have seen another from this brand
The mark on the inner lining is "Robert's hat", no other indication. neither a paper label
n6yuk3.jpg

It was sold in Naples by Pisapia Brothers.
157d5s3.jpg

The proportions are typical of some fifty years ago hats Italian products.
The brim are raw at 5 cm. and the crown is 10.5 cm. Size 58 cm.
14ippxg.jpg

The finishes are average, but what intrigues me is the felt and its color, personal opinion, magnificent with the matching color of the ribbon
15gr0y9.jpg

Certainly there is a component of wool in the felt, very soft and malleable.
Borsalino and Barbisio called this type "Misto".
The felt "Misto" has a soft blue-gray color and the ribbon is gray, very well.
Another find in the Italian hats world

Another Italian hat that I have no certain information, but I have seen another from this brand
The mark on the inner lining is "Robert's hat", no other indication. neither a paper label
n6yuk3.jpg

It was sold in Naples by Pisapia Brothers.
157d5s3.jpg

The proportions are typical of some fifty years ago hats Italian products.
The brim are raw at 5 cm. and the crown is 10.5 cm. Size 58 cm.
14ippxg.jpg

The finishes are average, but what intrigues me is the felt and its color, personal opinion, magnificent with the matching color of the ribbon
15gr0y9.jpg

Certainly there is a component of wool in the felt, very soft and malleable.
Borsalino and Barbisio called this type "Misto".
The felt "Misto" has a soft blue-gray color and the ribbon is gray, very well.
Another find in the Italian hats world
Very nice Daniele, classic look.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
After just retuning from a trip to Italy, there is not much left to choose from in the Italian hat market. Borsalino is changing and not for the good. Cervo is now closed until they reorganize. This leaves just Panizza and Guerra as the main manufacturers. It is a shame what has happened to the once thriving Italian hat production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko