Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
They have all tried in the past. Guerra, Panizza, Cervo have all tried but its a tough market. Borsalino, even with all of the problems is the only company who has any decent representation here. We tried with Cervo so many times but they cant get it right. Guerra and Panizza are almost non existant.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
This is the third Cervo Bantam of the serie show in these days
fkd3sk.jpg

Little surprise also in this hat:
21u8z.jpg

It seems built for the European market boasting its US "origin" in its realization
29m0u8m.jpg

Size is 60 (7 1/2 US) made in greenish fur felt short hair with crown at 12 cm (4.75 inches) and overwelted brim at 5.5 cm. (2.15 inches)
1z6cdtt.jpg

NOS with a white linen and gold stamps
2mi0upc.jpg

2gtvj7n.jpg

Ribbon is greenish/yellow satin 4.5 cm (1.75 inches) with excellent bow.
t8oq5l.jpg

Felt is very pliable and soft. A real great find
123tj02.jpg

Sorry, no paper label. I have to cut stitches to show it.....

I'm noticing many of the colors on the European hat bodies seem very vibrant, deep and rich.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
They have all tried in the past. Guerra, Panizza, Cervo have all tried but its a tough market. Borsalino, even with all of the problems is the only company who has any decent representation here. We tried with Cervo so many times but they cant get it right. Guerra and Panizza are almost non existant.

I've also been told that they're very "casual" abt production commitments and delivery dates...? Its a shame not to have them readily available.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Bob, the current production of Italian hatters has its maximum in Borsalino, others for various aspects leave enough margin to criticism.
Italian hats are still beautiful, but the raw material used to manufacture and finishes are often not of high quality.
Take into account that the hats market in Italy is almost entirely absent, and therefore it is very difficult to operate for others than Borsalino if you don't have a solid base of sales in your home and Europe.
I do not agree on the unreliability in transacting business of Italian. Often behind this rumor it is hiding a desire to discourage any interested in doing business with my compatriots.
Besdor, which for so many years selling hats of Borsalino, is very familiar with the protectionist policy implemented in America (North and South) about the Italian hats.
It is now water under the bridge, but it was a deterrent for companies, like those mentioned by our seller of hats in Brooklyn who had a hard time in the past, in handling of the international markets. This was a big problem for Italian companies that have difficulties to be able to support marketing and sales in countries outside Europe.
My invitation, Bob, is that you try the vintage hats market in Italy and Europe you will find many pleasant surprises.
For a new hat, made in Italy, the best source is Melegari in Milan.
Marche and Tuscany have been built for many years straw hats simple or elegant (le paglette). The Leghorn later became boater since they were used by the British.
Now no longer. They builts from Panama cones very beautiful hats.
Sorbatti in Marche region raised a traditional hat made of straw. It can be found on its website, it is expensive and very different from a common panama ;-)

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
They always had the edge in color and specificity finishes. The synthetic color dye industry was centered in Europe (mainly Germany and Switzerland) .

Guess that's why many of the European textiles/fabrics are so nice too. Yes, and I've seen some of those beautiful finishes on your European hats.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Bob, the current production of Italian hatters has its maximum in Borsalino, others for various aspects leave enough margin to criticism.
Italian hats are still beautiful, but the raw material used to manufacture and finishes are often not of high quality.
Take into account that the hats market in Italy is almost entirely absent, and therefore it is very difficult to operate for others than Borsalino if you don't have a solid base of sales in your home and Europe.
I do not agree on the unreliability in transacting business of Italian. Often behind this rumor it is hiding a desire to discourage any interested in doing business with my compatriots.
Besdor, which for so many years selling hats of Borsalino, is very familiar with the protectionist policy implemented in America (North and South) about the Italian hats.
It is now water under the bridge, but it was a deterrent for companies, like those mentioned by our seller of hats in Brooklyn who had a hard time in the past, in handling of the international markets. This was a big problem for Italian companies that have difficulties to be able to support marketing and sales in countries outside Europe.
My invitation, Bob, is that you try the vintage hats market in Italy and Europe you will find many pleasant surprises.
For a new hat, made in Italy, the best source is Melegari in Milan.
Marche and Tuscany have been built for many years straw hats simple or elegant (le paglette). The Leghorn later became boater since they were used by the British.
Now no longer. They builts from Panama cones very beautiful hats.
Sorbatti in Marche region raised a traditional hat made of straw. It can be found on its website, it is expensive and very different from a common panama ;-)

I should move to Italy or at least visit my cousins! Unfortunately I'm not going anywhere. So much info. Thank you Daniele. I will do some searches on all that info.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Grey Cervo Bantam medium hair

The fourth Cervo Bantam of the serie made with short and medium hair fur felt
2s7e0p2.jpg

Size is 60 cm. (7 172 US) Crown is 11.5 cm (4.5 inches) brim is 6 cm. (2.30 inches)
2vdfr4g.jpg

The fur felt is medium and pliable.
oiazb6.jpg

Lined in white with a very good sweatband
2dhyxhi.jpg

Excellent stamps in golden on the sweatband
15h24on.jpg

xpomyw.jpg

Here the paper label. It was made by Cervo in grey with a shade of beige
11vs938.jpg

The felt is stated as mixed loden with a medium hair bristly
346p0fo.jpg

Black ribbon in satin 4 cm (1.60 inches) with a elegant bow
ofawi0.jpg

Hope to have more vintage Cervo to show you.
Enjoy it!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Pale brown Cervo Bantam

The fifth Cervo Bantam of the serie made in pale brown fur felt
n4bacl.jpg

Size is 58 cm. (7 1/4 US) Crown is 11.5 cm (4.5 inches) brim is 4,5 cm. (1.77 inches)
205rtoo.jpg

The fur felt is thin, soft and very pliable.
ka5x13.jpg

Lined in beige with a very good sweatband
2mmznur.jpg

This batch of Cervo have very well made stamps in golden on the sweatband
10zw7kn.jpg

nbb593.jpg

As you see also this is marked as "American type". Maybe because they use the Bantam type that belongs to Stetson, but no sign of trade mark citation inside the hat.
Lovely black and beige ribbon in satin 3.5 cm (1.35 inches) with a elegant bow
2lmpbw9.jpg

As stated by Robert the color of EU hats are really varied.
This is a very pale brown that never become a real color.
2hdz410.jpg

Unfortunately it is not my size......:D

Last edited:
The felt looks great. I really like the ribbon pattern too!

By the way "Bantam Hat - The American Type" distinction is interesting.

Last edited:
What a line up of luscious, lovely lids, Daniele! Each one more beautiful than the last. Congratulations on your amazing collection!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Sixth in the name of Cervo Bantam
ephauq.jpg

Size is 58 cm. (7 1/4 US) Crown is 11.5 cm (4.5 inches) brim is 5 cm. (2 inches)
dd27nc.jpg

The fur felt, King Loden, is medium hair, pliable with little steam
2wefk43.jpg

Lined in pale pink with a excellent stamped sweatband
5yys5l.jpg

The felt has a special consistency, typical winter, medium-haired and gray-brown shade.
It is marked King Loden
2qntqaa.jpg

o02nab.jpg

Lovely black and grey ribbon in felt 2.5 cm (1 inches) with an "Alps" bow
2e0pv03.jpg

Very particular color grey-brown with white ropes in the felt
spdf76.jpg

The Cervo paper label seems date this hat in the sixties
vynkog.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Cervo Bantam pale green

The seventh Cervo Bantam of the serie made in pale green fur felt
afdkzs.jpg

Size is 60 cm. (7 1/2 US) Crown is 11.5 cm (4.5 inches) brim is 4,5 cm. (1.77 inches)
9jj4hs.jpg

The fur felt is very soft and pliable.
21bunuc.jpg

Linen is green with a very good sweatband
2zf8u95.jpg

This batch of Cervo have very well made stamps in golden on the sweatband
29divsw.jpg

11i1wco.jpg

Also this is marked as "American type". It could be way to have more visibility on the EU market.
Lovely black and green ribbon in satin 3.5 cm (1.35 inches) with a elegant bow
2zdw3me.jpg

This is shaved felt in a very pale green.
16bmujo.jpg

Made by Cervo in the years when the Italian hatters were at its best
2d7tr0y.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Cervo Bantam Loden deep green

The last Cervo Bantam of the serie made in deep green fur felt
1zd583s.jpg

Size is 59 cm. (7 3/8 US) Crown is 12 cm (4.75 inches) brim is 5 cm. (2 inches)
xn6b9i.jpg

The fur felt is medium soft, pliable and in a special "Loden" finish with short hair
4vfy3n.jpg

Extremely well finished. Linen is pale beige with an excellent sweatband
303eqrq.jpg

Cervo have very interesting stamps in golden on the sweatband
2e0s5m8.jpg

653dbt.jpg

In front there is the type of felt "Loden"
346w8li.jpg

Also this is marked as "American type".
It could be way to have more visibility on the EU market.
Weird and beautiful green (in various shades) ribbon in satin 3.5 cm (1.35 inches) with a simple bow
2zoage0.jpg

The felt in a very deep green has a fantastic short hair surface.
2rnzxoh.jpg

Cervo made it in a golden period for hats in Italy
4sek3b.jpg

With this the Cervo Bantam serie is finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto