Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's been 20 Years; release Song of the South

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
That is why the racial lobby gets away with saying that California and Texas were 90% white up to 1980. Let's see; Anthony Quinn, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth, Don Ameche, Desi Arnaz, Ricardo Montalban, Fernando Lamas, Jose Ferrer, Mel Ferrer, James Darren and other Hispanic actors in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's were all treated subpar.

ok....I know you said 'and others'....

but I just have to mention both Caesar Romero and Carmen Miranda....just because well...I adore them!

Denise...usless post for the day ;)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Splash Mountain?

Well I suppose if folks are going to get offended by Song of the South they better stay off of Splash Mountain at Disneyland since it is based on a portion of the movie. And does anyone bat an eyelash at Aunt Jemimah syurp? Did you know there used to be Uncle Remus syurp as well? Go figure huh? Oh, I know I'm going to raise some hackles here, but there is just a double standard for everything. These things are only offensive if you give them the power to be offensive. Take that power away and they are mere words & objects. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for your input

This thread has been quite civil and respectful.:cheers1: Everyone's opinion is encouraged and respected. Let's continue the productive and healthful progress that we have enjoyed.:eusa_clap

RedPop4

One Too Many
Brer Rabbit Syrup was made all over by the Penick & Ford Company. They had a plant near where I grew up on the west bank of the Mississippi River in Greater New Orleans. There's nothing left, now of the old Penick & Ford plant; I believe there is one in New Jersey (not certain) that still makes Brer Rabbit Syrup.

Since it's no longer a Louisiana product, I use Steen's Cane Syrup instead. It's not the best, but to get the best, you have to drive down into cane country and look for folks selling cane syrup out of their homes.

Sorry for the threadjack.

The stories, told by the slaves, that Joel Chandler Harris made famous, were first told in French and written down as "Compair Lappin" on the Laura Plantation in Vacherie Louisiana.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
RedPop4 said:
Brer Rabbit Syrup was made all over by the Penick & Ford Company. They had a plant near where I grew up on the west bank of the Mississippi River in Greater New Orleans. There's nothing left, now of the old Penick & Ford plant; I believe there is one in New Jersey (not certain) that still makes Brer Rabbit Syrup.

I still see that Brer Rabbit syrup on the shelves.

jdjs

Familiar Face
Not great news

Ultimate Disney (www.ultimatedisney.com) carried this news article on March 11th:

"March 11, 2006 - A little over a year ago, a website which specializes in Disney-related speculative journalism reported getting inside word that Song of the South would be coming to DVD this fall as a special 60th Anniversary Edition. While this source has gotten some accurate scoops in the past, we classified this Song of the South news as rumor. The story was conceivable as various signs over the past few years have pointed to Disney finally giving this 1946 live action-animated musical a North American home video release, but this source was the only place reporting a firm release window. Yesterday, at Disney's annual shareholders meeting in Anaheim, current CEO Robert Iger debunked those rumors, claiming that he screened the movie recently and holds concerns about its depictions, even considering the context in which it was made. Citing "a sensitivity that exists in today's culture", he confirmed that a decision to not re-release the film ensures that a home video release will not be occurring in the foreseeable future."

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I've always witheld my votes for the current Disney Board

jdjs said:
Ultimate Disney (www.ultimatedisney.com) carried this news article on March 11th:

"March 11, 2006 - A little over a year ago, a website which specializes in Disney-related speculative journalism reported getting inside word that Song of the South would be coming to DVD this fall as a special 60th Anniversary Edition. While this source has gotten some accurate scoops in the past, we classified this Song of the South news as rumor. The story was conceivable as various signs over the past few years have pointed to Disney finally giving this 1946 live action-animated musical a North American home video release, but this source was the only place reporting a firm release window. Yesterday, at Disney's annual shareholders meeting in Anaheim, current CEO Robert Iger debunked those rumors, claiming that he screened the movie recently and holds concerns about its depictions, even considering the context in which it was made. Citing "a sensitivity that exists in today's culture", he confirmed that a decision to not re-release the film ensures that a home video release will not be occurring in the foreseeable future."

Whenever I get the proxy in the mail to vote for the Board of Directors I always withold my votes. With just a handful of shares I know it doesn't make a difference, but it does take patience. Iger is a big lefty like his buddy Eisner and Mitchell. Why don't he just take down all of Walt's pictures? Funny how Iger will put all the filth of Desperate Housewives on the airwaves but won't re-release a film that people would actually have to buy. Hypocrites! Well what do you expect from the same nuts who took the fake guns away from the Jungle Ride? Or who made a movie about the Alamo from the Mexican despots viewpoint?

20 years from now.

What will people be complaining about, how we did such and such or how we treated so in so's, 20 years from now? History, in order to be told correctly should include the truth. If things were bad then, then in order not to repeat the past we must LEARN from it. If history gets re-written leaving out all the "bad" stuff then the history is not true and you don't get the full and correct lessson to learn.

In the original ET the Agency guys chasing Elliott and ET were armed with GUNS (God forbid! Horrors!) In the last release they digitally removed the guns and made them FLASHLIGHTS. Why? To what affect? For what reason? Does someone think that at the time, that generation of kids could handle the idea of guns, but now kids can't? ?!

The Log Cabin Series release of the Little Rascals has kept intact some scenes that were cut by the late 60's early 70's TV because of the portrayal of blacks and there were instances of "ethnic" humor that were dropped as whole episodes. To destroy or erase these scenes does not allow the learning that needs to come from seeing actual representations of second class citizenship and racial bias. Leonard Maltin carefully explaned that this shows the change in attitudes of the nation over time.

Get out your microscope and answer this question: Is Blazing Saddles a racist movie? Clearly Yes, by what is shown, or No becasue of the treatment of what is shown. DOES intent mean anything?

Here is the rub, parents must be prepared to watch TV & movies with their children and help the children to interpet what is happening on screen, what is being said, and what you want your children to know, think and feel and why when questionable items come up. Address them and things go better hide them and lose the opportunity to teach.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Bravo John

:eusa_clap
That was as well written and thought out as any post I've seen in a long time. Blazing Saddles made the racists look like fools. It is a great film. Much better than Robin Hood Men in Tights. The Little Rascals had black and white kids playing together. I would much rather have children watching the Little Rascals than sing that delightful diddy from the Academy Award Winning film Hustle and Flow; Now, it's hard to be a pimp.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana