Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jack Daniel's Sinatra Select

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Has anyone else read or heard about the JD Sinatra Select?

From JD's website:
"Jack Daniel’s Sinatra Select is bottled at 90 proof and gains its rich character from specially crafted “Sinatra Barrels” mingled with our classic Tennessee Whiskey. The Sinatra Barrels are handcrafted with the addition of deep grooves on the inside of the barrel staves. This exposes the whiskey to extra layers of oak which imparts a rich amber color, bold character and a pleasant smokiness, followed by an incredibly smooth vanilla finish. The smooth, bold character of the whiskey embodies the smooth, bold character of the man himself, Frank Sinatra."

It also reads that it will only be available at select retail locations in Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, NYC, San Francisco, New Jersey and Tennessee. It carries a pretty hefty price tag as well. I went to the three liquor stores in my town, only one had it, but it was sold and they weren't sure if they were going to get another in stock. One of them was nice enough to order one for me, I picked it up this afternoon. Liquor aside, it is by far the classiest liquor bottle in the world. It also comes with a few secret gifts that I will save for those of you who want to purchase it.

As for the liquor, haven't cracked it open yet, I'm actually a little on the nervous side. This could be purchased for a collection or for consuming. I may hold out to buy another.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm somewhat ambivalent about this batch. On one hand I'm not a big fan of gimmicky marketing but on the other hand this batch is probably pretty darn good.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Bourbon was Sinatra's drink. Bourbon and water, very weak. The books don't name a brand.

This surprised me a little, I would have thought of him as a scotch or martini drinker.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sinatra was buried with a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey, a pack of Camels, a Zippo lighter, and 10 dimes (for phone calls).

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Bourbon was Sinatra's drink. Bourbon and water, very weak. The books don't name a brand.

This surprised me a little, I would have thought of him as a scotch or martini drinker.

Whenever I read about Sinatra it's always Jack. Most sources state he drank a bottle a day every day. The old joke goes, Sinatra spilt more out of his glass than Dean Martin ever drank.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Yes, his favorite drink was whiskey, Jack Daniels to be exact.
A friend of mine's father worked for the company for over 50yrs, and Sinatra was one of his most famous customers, as well as a very good friend.
Sadly Mr. Lucchesi passed away a few weeks ago at the age of 92.
I've attached part of an article where he talked about Mr. Sinatra.
BTW Mr Lucchesi had his own Jack Daniels bottle made in his honor, actually several, which is the first time outside the family this had been done.
He tried to give me one a few years ago, right as they came out, and I should have taken it...stupid me.

[QUOTE
How did you first meet Sinatra?
ANGELO LUCCHESI: Nashville was part of my sales territory. A guy’s uncle I knew, Jimmy, was Frank Sinatra’s right hand man. One day [Jimmy] said he found out Sinatra was at the Copacabana and couldn’t find any Jack Daniel’s. I saw our national sales manager, who loved Sinatra, and talked to him. Two weeks later I was sitting in the den with my wife; the phone rings and [a voice says], “Hey, I love you for the rest of my life.” It was Mr. Sinatra. He said to me, “Kid, I am going to give you two numbers. Keep these close to your heart. If you ever need me, just pick up the phone.”

How did your friendship grow from there?
AL: Him and his wife, Barbara, started a clinic for abused children 26 years ago in Palm Springs. I didn’t see him but maybe once a year in Vegas, but when we started co-sponsoring their charity event, the Frank Sinatra Celebrity Invitational Golf Tournament, I would see him twice a year, and I would talk to him on the phone about once a month. He became a true friend. I never lived in Vegas, but I started coming here around 1954. I would hang out with him and maybe Sammy Davis. Dean Martin would say he was going to bed, and he would go up and watch TV. He was a Scotch drinker.

Read more at http://vegasmagazine.com/the-latest...vet-on-supplying-sinatra#ZYdqxY2S70H4ki3T.99][/QUOTE]

[QUOTEAnd he always drank Jack Daniel’s.
AL: He would say, “Jack Daniel’s is a nectar of the Gods” and “Show me a better whiskey than Jack Daniel’s.”
Read more at http://vegasmagazine.com/the-latest...vet-on-supplying-sinatra#ZYdqxY2S70H4ki3T.99][/QUOTE]
Here is the link to the entire article.
http://vegasmagazine.com/the-latest/homepage/postings/q-and-a-jack-daniel's-vet-on-supplying-sinatra

Dean Martin would say he was going to bed, and he would go up and watch TV. He was a Scotch drinker.

-vet-on-supplying-sinatra#ZYdqxY2S70H4ki3T.99]

[QUOTEAnd he always drank Jack Daniel’s.
AL: He would say, “Jack Daniel’s is a nectar of the Gods” and “Show me a better whiskey than Jack Daniel’s.”
Here is the link to the entire article.
http://vegasmagazine.com/the-latest/homepage/postings/q-and-a-jack-daniel's-vet-on-supplying-sinatra[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason why I liked Dean but he liked Ballantine's. It tastes fine but isn't very complex for a blend.....

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wasn't Jack Daniels always 90 proof at some point? I remember reading somewhere that in the '70s or '80s they began dropping the alcohol percentage by volume until it reached the current 80 proof.

Duper

Practically Family
Saw a bottle in my local liquor store up here in Canada's capital. It was in a locked glass display case.

$300.00.

Unfortunately out of my price range.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sinatra should have selected something cheaper.
Like Old Grandad. :D
You have to pay for quality, and I'm sure Sinatra's name just adds to the premium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points