Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Weather!!

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe if you’re used to a tropical climate, such as south Florida, and the humidity drops and it’s 70 degrees, it feels chilly. Whereas, people who live in areas that are cold for, at least, 6 months of the year, you wouldn’t think of wearing jackets in 70 degree weather.

- Ian
Absolutely right. I work down by the water in downtown Miami, and I often see people from the cruise ships, Scandinavians fairly often, walking around in shorts and t-shirts on mornings when it's in the sixties and I'm dressed in a sweater vest and jacket.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Absolutely right. I work down by the water in downtown Miami, and I often see people from the cruise ships, Scandinavians fairly often, walking around in shorts and t-shirts on mornings when it's in the sixties and I'm dressed in a sweater vest and jacket.

Makes perfect sense, once I had time to think about it. I know people who live in south Florida, who'll visit NYC when it's cooler and it's rough on them. For example the high will be 50 degrees and they feel it's time to hunker down. It's just too cold...unless they happen to be menopausal...in that case, it feels good and we can go do the usual Manhattan walking around, etc. Now, if the same people spend a few days here in cool weather, they acclimate and it's fine as long as they're dress appropriately for the weather.

- Ian

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
That is about what I thought the case would be. Could be worse, though. You could be in Southeast Asia.
I never need shearling or padded liner true, but it has to do more with elevation and your body fat rather than continent, for me it is leather jacket season all year round. it's currently rainy season here, so it is a natural time to jacket up.

willyto

One Too Many
It's finally leather jacket weather in Barcelona. I'm so excited. I even layered a pullover sleeveless sweater over my shirt and tie the other day under my Aero half belt.

tropicalbob

Makes perfect sense, once I had time to think about it. I know people who live in south Florida, who'll visit NYC when it's cooler and it's rough on them. For example the high will be 50 degrees and they feel it's time to hunker down. It's just too cold...unless they happen to be menopausal...in that case, it feels good and we can go do the usual Manhattan walking around, etc. Now, if the same people spend a few days here in cool weather, they acclimate and it's fine as long as they're dress appropriately for the weather.

- Ian
I grew up in NY, and my big problem down here is that I miss the hell out of the change of seasons. I'm like a squirrel every autumn except that instead of nuts I want to start gathering cableknit sweaters and tweeds.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I never need shearling or padded liner true, but it has to do more with elevation and your body fat rather than continent, for me it is leather jacket season all year round. it's currently rainy season here, so it is a natural time to jacket up.

It has some to do with that, but overall, your location relative to the equator as well as your local climate as well as elevation. I just checked East Java's weather... I have no idea how you can wear a jacket, but good for you.

Also, rain doesn't make a difference all the time. It rained on me in Japan when it was 75 degrees F and my t shirt was more than enough.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the wind is cool here, sun is burning hot, when raining sun doesn't shine so it is chilly to me, also walking in the rain across the parking lot to the car with some jacket on sound like a good idea than just shirt or tshirt. leather itself is a poor insulation against cold but good at blocking burning sun out. and also to keep my dark colored shirts stay dark, our sun will kill them in weeks on the shoulder and collar.

tropicalbob

It has some to do with that, but overall, your location relative to the equator as well as your local climate as well as elevation. I just checked East Java's weather... I have no idea how you can wear a jacket, but good for you.

Also, rain doesn't make a difference all the time. It rained on me in Japan when it was 75 degrees F and my t shirt was more than enough.
If you go up into the mountains of southern India, the Western Ghats, you find these very peculiar little settlements that look exactly like English rural communities. They were the hot weather residences of the British because of the truly astonishing differences in temperature and humidity levels at the higher elevations. Some of them still operate as vacation spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points