Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
7D5D05A8-1872-4F49-91B0-0A902CA3E9FF.jpeg

"McGregor Anti Freeze jacket with some customizations by costume designer Moss Mabry. The original McGregor Anti Freeze was designed in 1949, and the McGregor site even acknowledges that this was the windbreaker seen in the film, saying “a certain Mr. James Dean was wearing this coat in a ‘rebellious’ movie that would make history."

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 109340

"McGregor Anti Freeze jacket with some customizations by costume designer Moss Mabry. The original McGregor Anti Freeze was designed in 1949, and the McGregor site even acknowledges that this was the windbreaker seen in the film, saying “a certain Mr. James Dean was wearing this coat in a ‘rebellious’ movie that would make history."

When did McGregor claim this? Sounds more recent and spurious. Don't forget Schott claims the Brando jacket in The Wild One even though the evidence is scant and many doubt this possibility.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
When did McGregor claim this? Sounds more recent and spurious. Don't forget Schott claims the Brando jacket in The Wild One even though the evidence is scant and many doubt this possibility.

I've searched google and it comes up as some spiel in a press release and on the sales page of "McGregor Fashion Group" a Dutch company who started selling a red 'Kirk' jacket in 2014. I think the one a forum member bought and pictured earlier in this thread in fact!

Seems they've had financial issues since 2016 and the website is now offline. Looks like their parent company had bought the rights to the McGregor brand name back in the 90s.

I think some of the posts in the thread have just about gone full circle and nobody is still any the wiser on this one :)

Attachments

• mcgregor.JPG
    mcgregor.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,147

Peacoat

Bartender
McGregor at some point put this on the label of its Anti Freeze jacket. So it may be of fairly recent origin.

Danman

New in Town
It can’t be the Burma jacket in question. The pockets aren’t reversed as seen in the film. That is only a detail that the mcgregor has. I think it has to have been a mcgregor with the buttons and the button latch removed from the collar. So the jacket up for auction has to be either a fraud or just some kind of misunderstanding.

Danman

New in Town
I have that same exact BB jacket in the same color. If it ever comes out that the jacket doesn’t match because of the pockets and it’s a huge story, I hope I’m the one who is credited with first putting it out there. Lolol

Peacoat

Bartender
I have that same exact BB jacket in the same color. If it ever comes out that the jacket doesn’t match because of the pockets and it’s a huge story, I hope I’m the one who is credited with first putting it out there. Lolol
Yes, we will definitely give you the credit.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I agree with @l0fielectronic, all of these alleged 'real' jackets up for auction have 'provenance' that is next to useless. Kind of 'my uncle got it from the set, here's a signed letter from my uncle', the uncle being a total nobody with no documented connections. That sort of thing.
If someone had a photo of Dean handing their uncle the jacket, or a signed statement by Dean himself, then sure, that would be solid, but it's all third party stories.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think it's the hero jacket either

But...

Just because it doesn't look like the film jacket doesn't mean it wasn't used by a double for some shots. A few Indy Jones jackets, for instance, made their way to the film that were not heros and had the wrong pockets, etc, but were worn in stunts and in some small scenes so discrepancies are common enough.

Also, hand written, poorly expressed provenance letters are very commonly presented even when the item is the real thing. I worked in collectibles back in the 1980's and many people sold things in a hurry to get money and the evidence was often wonky letters written on stained serviettes and that kind of thing. Perfectly genuine albeit shoddy work.

This one - I too think no dice, but I remain open to a range of possibilities.

robrinay

One Too Many
I bought Rebel on Amazon in HD format and fast forwarded to 1:38;40. At this point Jim has handed his jacket to Plato who is holding it with the label showing. I’m wary of contravening copywright etc. so I won’t post a still from the film but it’s showing a significant resemblance to the McGregor label I’ve posted above. Try it for yourself if you’re curious.
Ps and by significant I mean that I can read McGREG(rest is fuzzy), in dark red at the top of the label.

Peacoat

Bartender
Excellent job, @robrinay. I have felt all along that the jacket was a McGregor Anti Freeze. I think your excellent research confirms it.

The picture of the McGregor jacket you posted on the previous page is not a model from that era, but is a later model. It has the throat-latch, external pockets and is not the shiny nylon seen in The Jacket.

Last edited:
I would tend to go along with post 318. Markie Winslow and James Dean were close cousins. Markie's family raised JD. Markie now has control over all or most of JD merchandising. The Winslows were close to JD through much of his movie making few years. In fact I asked Marcus about the jacket Sunday and he stated that this jacket was indeed one of the ones used in the movie. Take it for what it's worth. Would Markie really know..?? Maybe..probably..who knows? He is a super nice guy who seems very truthful.
HD

Edward

Bartender
I bought Rebel on Amazon in HD format and fast forwarded to 1:38;40. At this point Jim has handed his jacket to Plato who is holding it with the label showing. I’m wary of contravening copywright etc. so I won’t post a still from the film but it’s showing a significant resemblance to the McGregor label I’ve posted above. Try it for yourself if you’re curious.
Ps and by significant I mean that I can read McGREG(rest is fuzzy), in dark red at the top of the label.

On the copyright front, you're okay here: this would qualify as criticism or review, a fair use exemption to copyright violation.

robrinay

One Too Many
On the copyright front, you're okay here: this would qualify as criticism or review, a fair use exemption to copyright violation.
I’m certain you’re correct and call me paranoid but I’d hate to get into a legal wrangle with people who have money enough to contest that. Rent the dvd and check it out yourselves.

robrinay

One Too Many
Excellent job, @robrinay. I have felt all along that the jacket was a McGregor Anti Freeze. I think your excellent research confirms it.

The picture of the McGregor jacket you posted on the previous page is not a model from that era, but is a later model. It has the throat-latch, external pockets and is not the shiny nylon seen in The Jacket.
Thank you - yes the one with the throat latch was ‘made yesterday’.

robrinay

One Too Many
HD,
I’m sure Markie is right and that the jacket was used in the film. As has been pointed out several times in this thread it’s usual to use a few jackets in a film - even down to using similar ones by different manufacturers.
All I’m suggesting is that a McGregor jacket was worn by James Dean in that scene where he swaps the jacket for Plato’s gun - ie If it had been made by costume then why include a McGregor label? He may also have worn other jackets in the film including the one at auction.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto