Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese Whisky

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Good day, does anyone here enjoys a dram or two of Japanese whisky? I personally find Taketsuru 17 rather pleasant, albeit it being a blended malt rather than a single malt.

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Ever since Yamazaki won the best whisky in the word award, it has been quite difficult to find single malt bottles of the older years.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"He say, turn to the camera".

"He say, from the right side, and with intensity".

"Are you sure that's all he said?"

"For relaxing times, make it, Suntory time..."

"CUT-O!"

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Fun fact: the premise of Lost in Translation was inspired by Sammy Davis Jr., who did a number of adds for Suntory Whiskey over the years:

5e4ae49c163155e23ef302d0078501ba.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Honestly, I think Japanese whiskies are over-rated. They are nice and smooth but there is always something missing in there. The Suntory whiskies are very popular in Asia right now, I have also heard that the upper grade ones such as the Hibiki 21yrs/30yrs are all scooped up by the wealthy mainland Chinese. Nikka is another big distillery in Japan as well but not as popular.

If you want something nice to try, Kavalan from Taiwan also produce some top quality (award winning, if you care) single malts as well. In my opinion, better than their Japanese rivals.

newsman

One of the Regulars
My buddy gifted me a bottle of 18 year old Yamazaki. It pains me to say it as a purist and traditionalist but this is very good stuff

You aren't kidding either. I couldn't believe how nice the Japanese Scotch could be. Then again they have purchased a few distilleries in Scotland.

Anyway. The Yamazaki is pretty solid stuff!

newsman

One of the Regulars
"Lat pack please".

A buddy of mine married a girl from China. A really nice girl but her English was...a work in progress. For quite some time she referred to the Super Bowl (football game) as....

wait for it....

"Super butt!!"

It cracked me up. We used to play poker at the guy's house until Yoko broke up the band.

Yamazaki is amazingly good. I bought it initially out of curiosity and continue to find it out of sheer appreciation.
Thanks Hambone. That's what I hear. I decided to put together a set of 5 x 70cl samples (on special) with a normal order on Monday. I'm thinking the 12 yr old, & the Distillers Reserve for sure. Maybe some other Suntory whiskies to make up the 5. They don't offer the 18 in 70cl.

Do you know if the Yamazaki No Age, the 10 & the Sherry have been discontinued?

Have you tried the Yamazakura Blended Whiskey?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot