Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jean Length with Cowboy Boots

SGB

One of the Regulars
RedShoesGirl said:
PRCA rules - wrangler is a huge sponsor and nothing but wranglers allowed in arena area. and that includes those of us that are just covering the rodeo - wrangler jeans, boots, long-sleeve shirts and cowboy hat. very hard to shoot with a flash with a cowboy hat on!

cowboys jeans are very long and all wrinkled up from the knee down. looks like they are four inches too long. i'll try and find a shot i did several years ago at the pendleton round-up — where they are very picky about what shooters wear — of cowboys back stage and their legs and funky jeans.

rsg

I used to shoot pics at PRCA rodeos in CA, and yes there are rules about what you have to wear, easy for me as that was what I wore anyway. I shot for myself, reference material for my paintings. Haven't been to a rodeo in years, too busy doing other things. But, we used to have box seats at the Cow Palace for years, took my deaf grandmother there a few times, she loved it, met Monty Montana and got his autograph, and could "feel" the rodeo.
Did you ever go to a Ranch Rodeo or Big Loop? A completely different type of event. You'll see some Levis there.

SGB

Would love to see some photos done by you both. I'm going to give it a purely amatuer whirl next month when the PBR comes to Reading, PA. Can't find any PRCA events closer than New Jersey.

I find it strange that PRCA would be so restrictive towards brands other than Wrangler. Is the policy for non-participants (journalists, photographers) or even towards participants too? I can't see Cinch, Levis or even Cruel Girl standing for that. Even Stetson's getting into the western wear arena with boots and apparel. Not that it matters to me. I'm strictly a Wrangler's guy.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
GentlemanFarmer said:
Would love to see some photos done by you both. I'm going to give it a purely amatuer whirl next month when the PBR comes to Reading, PA. Can't find any PRCA events closer than New Jersey.

I find it strange that PRCA would be so restrictive towards brands other than Wrangler. Is the policy for non-participants (journalists, photographers) or even towards participants too? I can't see Cinch, Levis or even Cruel Girl standing for that. Even Stetson's getting into the western wear arena with boots and apparel. Not that it matters to me. I'm strictly a Wrangler's guy.

it is more that the rule for participants is also for non-participants. although, if i show you the scar on my ear from a bull taking a piece out of it, you would think i was a participant too!

Go to the PRCA site and read their rules. Quite restrictive. I didn't have a "real" cowboy hat, just one of those indiana jones things and boy, had to convince the official in oregon that it was ok.

rsg

Repro Guy

New in Town
Can you explain to an English bloke the difference between a 'Buckaroo' and a 'Cowboy'.......? lol

A cowboy is someone who works with cattle for a living?
...Buckaroo = horses?

I ask out of curiosity, 'cos I collect repro jeans, so it'd be interesting to find out why the different groups wear / wore different brands.

SGB

One of the Regulars
Repro Guy said:
Can you explain to an English bloke the difference between a 'Buckaroo' and a 'Cowboy'.......? lol

A cowboy is someone who works with cattle for a living?
...Buckaroo = horses?

I ask out of curiosity, 'cos I collect repro jeans, so it'd be interesting to find out why the different groups wear / wore different brands.

They both do the same thing, it's a difference mostly in the style of the equipment they use to do their jobs, but it is also a difference in the way they do some of the things.
For example, in Texas they are generally called Cowboys and rope cattle, tied "hard and fast". That means they tie one end of their rope to the saddle horn, so when they rope an animal they are tied to it "hard". They still can control the length of the rope by wrapping it around the saddle horn, but when they get to the end.....they can lose the saddle or go with the animal as they are tied to it and hope their saddle is strong enough to take it. Buckaroos are generally from California/Nevada/ Oregon and use longer ropes "dallyed", which means they wrap their rope around the saddle horn and loosen and tighten as needed, if there is a problem they can just let loose of their end and let the animal go, they might lose a rope but not a saddle and can go after the animal again. Rodeo ropers dally their ropes.
There are a lot of other subtle differences and some not so subtle. The Buckaroos base their philosophy/style on the old California Vaqueros, which is different than mexican style cowboys in some ways.

SGB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points