• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Jimmy Stewart Treasures Old Hat

Discussion in 'Hats' started by RBH, Dec 31, 2010.

1. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Blackthorn and mayserwegener like this.
  2. Thanks! I saved this because I'll need to enlarge it to read it.

3. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  4. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Interesting ... :cool:

5. Simon82

Simon82 One of the Regulars

Thanks so much, RBH! I'm a huge Jimmy fan, so finding "new" news I haven't seen is a treasure indeed. Wonder if it's the same hat he wore in some of his first films?

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Great story,thanks! I wish my old man's hats had fit me....

7. danofarlington

danofarlington My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'll tell you a little story apropos of the article. They are talking about Jimmy Stewart in the play (and later movie) "Harvey," about a man who thinks he is accompanied by a six-foot rabbit wherever he goes. A marvelous story actually. It was written by Mary Chase of Denver. While working odd jobs in supporting myself at the University of Denver about 30 years ago, I did some light tasks for an old lady in a modest neighborhood in Denver. She lived right next door to Mary Chase. I said, "Mary Chase! You mean the author of "Harvey?" Yes, same one. So we called on her. She was a short woman with a beehive hairdo, a former Rocky Mountain Post reporter. We talked briefly of "Harvey." She said, "I never liked Jimmy Stewart in that part."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  8. Question is, where is that beloved hand me down hat now? I would presume in a museum, but which one?

Cheers!

Dan

9. Robert, here is a start to maybe finding out some info. From 2005.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Probably here, where it came from.

11. Robert, I emailed the museum. Lets see if I can get a response.

12. Very cool! Good to know. Thanks!:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

13. I find this story really touching. Time seems to be going by so fast and everything is changing so quickly.
    It's nice to think that something remained constant for so long - Mr Stewart's relationship with that hat
    and what it meant to him.

14. Blackthorn

Blackthorn My Mail is Forwarded Here

What a fun thread!

15. Thanks so much for posting this! A very nice article. Jimmy Stewart is probably one of my favorite actors in his time.

16. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Great Job hunting Rusty!! Thanks!!

17. Here's Jimmy in a different hat than we usually saw him in.

[​IMG]

18. Michael Carter

Michael Carter One of the Regulars

Thanks for posting all of the articles. Jimmy is one of my favorite period actors.

19. Just finished Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, now I know why his hat did not have a liner in all the great hat shots/ scenes... (Man was that scene when he is flustered by the young lady, a great hat scene) I searched and searched and no sing or label.
    Jimmy is the best!!![​IMG]