Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jodhpurs / Breeches

miss1934

Familiar Face
I am looking for movie director style jodhpurs that will show up well on stage. Don't worry, I have conditioned my actors to treat all vintage items respectfully. I was just wondering if for a truly emphasized thigh, would I be better off going with a women's pair? For some reason they have always looked more emphasized to me. Thanks so much,

Anne

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miss1934 said:
I am looking for movie director style jodhpurs that will show up well on stage. Don't worry, I have conditioned my actors to treat all vintage items respectfully. I was just wondering if for a truly emphasized thigh, would I be better off going with a women's pair? For some reason they have always looked more emphasized to me. Thanks so much,

Anne
I don't know which ones you would be better off using, because I'm not in the film industry. However, I did want to tell you that over the weekend I came across four different pairs of ladies jodphurs up for auction on ebay, just in case you were looking for them.

Baggers

Practically Family
All the women's jods meant to be worn with a riding boot that I've seen in the last 20 years are rather close fitting in the thigh and made from some combination of modern stretch miracle fabrics (poly, spandex, etc.).

If you're looking for that classic 1920s "movie director' look, you might be able to pick up a repro pair in khaki cotton twill from either What Price Glory or WW2 Impressions. Their products are sized for men, but you could take one of their smaller sizes and alter to fit.

Alternatively, you could also try an english jodphur. These were made to be worn with ankle boots and as a result have a close fitting full length leg, usually with a turnup. I've seen these in equestrian catalogs, but again, made from modern stretch fabrics.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I picked up my breeches on e-Bay pretty cheaply, and they flare quite a bit. They are East Germam motocycle police breeches, or something like that. They have a vintage cut, but are wool and will not need any pampering.

QM_Mojave_Hem.jpg

Heck, if I'd had on a black beret in this picture, plus one of those lens thingys thta directors wear around their neck, and voila!

miss1934

Familiar Face
Amazingly I went to an auction last weekend that had three pairs of men's jodhpurs all with size 31 waists! This happens to be the exact size I was looking for my actor and I won them all at five bucks a pop! I believe that the fly less pair was a woman's, but the other two feature button flys and real leather knee patches. It was very exciting. I also took home set of 20's silk lounging pajamas, two thirties cocktail dresses, a few women's suits, eight 30's and 40's hats and three pairs 30's shoes! It was most fortunate. Thank you for all your help!
~Anne

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
1st flaired breeches

Anyone have an idea as to when pegged or flaired riding breeches came into vogue
im aware of the influence of Indian jodphurs but when did it take of in the mainstream?
Some pics of Span Am US officersa show semi flaired breeches
Sam

ramblinBOB

One of the Regulars
help with boy scout breeches 1930,s ?

show.php
show.php
hi i would like to apogize to the ladies of the forum i did not know the ads on the pic server were border line nudes .
any way i have a pair of boy scout breeches. my question is are they from the 1930,s ? and how much are they worth ? could you tell me somthing about them. thanks

Mike K.

One Too Many
I'm certainly no expert but they actually look to be around 1950s vintage (at least from what I've seen to compare them to). I'm just getting back into Scouting myself and want to put together a vintage scoutmaster uniform. Try searching some of the Scouting collectors books (I'll be doing the same). We should be able to come up with something! I've got a vintage Boy Scout uniform thread started elsewhere in this section (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12437) if you want to consolidate threads and join me there.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Depends on how much you want to pay for them. Dehner makes them with one strap.

http://www.dehner.com/customshoes_paddock.html

They are custom made. With the price tag to go with it.

The off-the-rack Jodphurs seem to be limited to either the elastic sided ones like you mention. However, if you're willing to go with the laced ones you could probably get off-the-rack and save a bit.

just_me

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Banana Republic BR Monogram - $275. They don't look to have elastic, but I can't tell for certain.

br588189-01av1tv01.jpg
br588189-01viv01.jpg

Those look like my first pair of jodhpur boots from back in the day. I wore them with brown jodhpurs that flared out at the thigh (before jods and riding breeches were made from stretch material).

just_me

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
I thought jodhpurs were pants.
They are, but one style of boots worn with them are called jodhpur boots. The other style of boots worn with jods are called paddock boots. They're similar but either lace up the front or zip up the front.

To have been correct, and clearer, the OP should have called the subject Jodhpur Boots? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk