Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp in talks to Play The Thin Man

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Maybe. Possibly. Perhaps...

Rachel McAdams for Nora.

Wow. I was grumbling and cringing with the rest of the crowd, but that... might.just.work.

For some reason that just made it click for me. I could actually see a Depp/McAdams pairing. It made Depp as Nick instantly palatable to me. *shrug* Go figure....

Actually, I guess we should all remember that when Powell and Loy were first cast in the roles themselves, they were seen very differently by the general public. Powell was a "heavy", a bad guy and Loy was still shaking off being cast in every "exotic" role they could force her into. Light romantic banter in a who-done-it would have been no ones choice for these two at the time.

Goes to show you. Ya never really know...

(Though I agree that if Depp and whoever don't have amazing chemistry, go home and forget about it. No one watches the Thin Man for the mystery plots! LOL)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Actually, I guess we should all remember that when Powell and Loy were first cast in the roles themselves, they were seen very differently by the general public. Powell was a "heavy", a bad guy and Loy was still shaking off being cast in every "exotic" role they could force her into. Light romantic banter in a who-done-it would have been no ones choice for these two at the time.

That's not really accurate. Powell was long past his "heavy" roles by the time THE THIN MAN was made -- his "heavy" roles were primarily in silents; by the time talkies came in, he was playing the kind of roles we associate him with, though they were sometimes charming roues on the wrong side of the law -- and Loy, too, made many movies in which she didn't play an exotic before appearing in THE THING MAN -- among them were THE ANIMAL KINGDOM (1932), WHEN LADIES MEET (1933), THE PRIZEFIGHTER AND THE LADY (1933), and MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934)

You're right that those were the kind of roles the two actors played early in their careers, but both had advanced beyond those roles well before starring in THE THIN MAN.

Last edited:

CharlieB

A-List Customer
THANK YOU! Bale is the very worst actor in the business. Can't understand a word he says in anything.

With the possible exception of Eric Bana. I maintain that his role in the new Star Trek makes Bales look like a good actor.

As for Depp. I just saw a preview of a new film (did not catch the name) but it looks like JD has put on some weight. Maybe a not-so-thin, Thin Man!

Also in the "unfortunately too old" category is one of my favorites, Ewan MacGragor. I beleive he can actually pull it off.

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
That's not really accurate. Powell was long past his "heavy" roles by the time THE THIN MAN was made -- his "heavy" roles were primarily in silents; by the time talkies came in, he was playing the kind of roles we associate him with, though they were sometimes charming roues on the wrong side of the law -- and Loy, too, made many movies in which she didn't play an exotic before appearing in THE THING MAN -- among them were THE ANIMAL KINGDOM (1932), WHEN LADIES MEET (1933), THE PRIZEFIGHTER AND THE LADY (1933), and MANHATTAN MELODRAMA (1934)

You're right that those were the kind of roles the two actors played early in their careers, but both had advanced beyond those roles well before starring in THE THIN MAN.

But it is true that neither of them were seen as witty people in the movies they were cast. Not even in Manhattan Melodrama in which they were both cast. It was when the director saw them interacting off camera that he knew they had something and the Nick and Nora that we know came about.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Are they remaking The Thin Man now? hahaaaaa

I will start to copy and paste to express my opinion now .... easy!!!:D

"That’s right, Hollywood’s never-ending (not to mention shameless) quest to remake every movie that has ever existed has claimed yet another victim.

Speak of the devil, I would love to see someone compile a list of all the remakes going back a decade alongside their critical and financial success rates. With every passing year, there seem to be more and more remakes and less and less original entries in big-budget cinema. Are these remakes so fiscally successful that they’re worth the artistic integrity of the studios and the filmmakers who churn them out?"

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm starting to wonder what percentage of the movies made in the 1940s were remakes or sequels?
Probably more today but we've also added movies based on video games.!

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Personally I have no problem with remakes. I see it as a way of introducing old stories to a modern audience. Johnny Depp bringing Hammett's stories back to the big screen sounds like a worthwhile endeavor.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really hope they don't compromise the plot and atmosphere of the story to appeal to the masses...but I'm fairly sure they will...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk