Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp in talks to Play The Thin Man

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I'm "iffy" on this. My wife and I have the Powell/Loy collection put out a few years ago. They paired up so well.
In fact we are big fans of both in their own films.
Depp is good IMHO, but I'm not sure about The Thin Man.
I can see him in a remake of Dark Shadows, we have that too. LOL
I agree though that it's too early to say with any certainty.

Levallois

Practically Family
I hate this idea. The original Thin Man and the Powell/Loy pairing is a classic and one my favorite films of all time. Depp will never surpass Powell in this role and I can't imagine anyone who could do Nora better than Loy. No, no, nope, negatory . . . .

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
But can Miss Ricci carry off the wearing of a 'screwy hat' as well as Myrna did as Nora...

And William Powell was 42 when he first played Nick Charles.
I still think that Christina Ricci would make a great Nora. Besides Myrna Loy was 29 when she played Nora. Not that far off really.
They have filmed together twice before in completely different types of films and they have a great screen chemistry together like Powell & Loy did.

Cheers!

Dan

RBH

Bartender
As most of you know I love all six films with the Nick Charles character.
But if most of the posters here had their way the only film we would have, would have been the first.
Hammett only wrote one Nick and Nora book, The Thin Man.
The rest were 'remakes' so to speak.

[p.s. I have owned six wire fox terriers in the last 30 years... they are just like Asta in these films.]

rue

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised... I had no idea you liked those kinds of movies. I thought you were more of a John Wayne western kinda guy [huh]

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Last edited:

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I probably will see it (and Depp's remake of Dark Shadows) simply because I'm a fan of Depp, but I seriously wish they would stop doing this. I'm so bored with Hollywood and this trend of not writing anything new, ever.

rue

In all seriousness..... I do think this might be a remake to watch. I know that Depp will never be Powell, but I don't think he'd sign onto something that would be awful. I think it should be looked at with an open mind.

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
I half agree with Rue, I've been a fan of Depp since 21 Jump Street and he's been known to take on a few stinkers (especially if he's promised the use of FX prosthesis - he really seems to be a very silly man, but in an endearing way), and I wasn't too fond of Alice but generally I trust Depp's judgement as far as the roles he takes. I remember people swearing to never see Sleepy Hollow before it came out because enough with retelling that story, but I thought it turned out fabulously and is probably my favorite of Depp's collaborations with Burton, including Edward Scissorhands.

rue

I half agree with Rue, I've been a fan of Depp since 21 Jump Street and he's been known to take on a few stinkers (especially if he's promised the use of FX prosthesis - he really seems to be a very silly man, but in an endearing way), and I wasn't too fond of Alice but generally I trust Depp's judgement as far as the roles he takes. I remember people swearing to never see Sleepy Hollow before it came out because enough with retelling that story, but I thought it turned out fabulously and is probably my favorite of Depp's collaborations with Burton, including Edward Scissorhands.

Agreed that Alice was a stinker :eeek: But I forgive him for that knowing his other work :)

Mae Croft

Familiar Face
Well Depp was great in that (as much as you can be with that character), but if Burton and his team don't start writing real stories again instead of falling back on 300-like ridiculous CGI then he's going to find himself waning in popularity among his older fans. Of course it seems like people who've never seen a real film love stuff like that, so I guess he's trading old fans for new. Also a little freaked out that the Hatter seemed to want to schtupp Alice - could have lived without knowing that!

I think this is going to be a good one, though, but to be honest I wish they'd just release the originals in the theater again. If they want to save money by not hiring writers, you'd think they'd cut right to the chase, wouldn't you?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well I think that Depp could pull it off. He has experience playing a drunk, and can pull off the look without much effort. The hard part will be finding the right Nora. I has to be some one Depp already has on screen chemistry with so they can bounce their lines off of each other and make it look natural...One that does come to mind and has grown greatly as an actress would be Christina Ricci.
christina-ricci.jpg

I never really liked seeing them together. They have been in two films opposite eachother that I know: Sheepy Hollow and The Man Who Cried, which is in my top 20. But I always feel a weirdness between them, like they are not comfortable with each other.

Depp to me is one of the most versatile character actors of his generation, but I genuinely don't know if its in his range to pull of wit and banter with a co actor that didn't involve the aid of a grand costume or CG characters.

LD

Last edited:

Levallois

Practically Family
I know that I'm supposed to be more open minded and I like JD, especially in films like the first Pirates movie, Public Enemies or Sleep Hollow and he could probably banter away but would it be as good as or even close to Mr. Powell? I can't imagine that it would be. Christina Ricci as Nora? Never. Rachel Weitz? Nope. Loy can't be topped by either. The Powell/Loy combo was unique. Even if you don't like the Thin Man movies - :eeek: - watch them in something else like "Libeled Lady." Classy, funny, and seemless.

If you put a gun to my head and said pick somebody, I see Robert Downey Jr as more of a Nick than Depp but I'm at a complete loss for someone to play Nora.

In the end, however, no matter who stars it won't be as good as the original. If you can't do it better then why bother?

John

WH1

Practically Family
If you put a gun to my head and said pick somebody, I see Robert Downey Jr as more of a Nick than Depp but I'm at a complete loss for someone to play Nora.

In the end, however, no matter who stars it won't be as good as the original. If you can't do it better then why bother?

John

:mad:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$;)
Sadly that seems to be the only reason they trash the great old pictures. That being said I will acknowledge that True Grit was one of the few in which the remake was as good as the original.

Have they said if they are going to update the setting to the 21st century or are they going to do a period piece?
What next George Clooney in North By Northwest with Gilbert Gottfried in the James Mason role?

MikePotts

Practically Family
I haven't read all the replies in this thread but the missus and I are of the opinion that Robt. Downey Jr. would make a better Dick (if you'll pardon the expresion) than Depp - at least in a period piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ