Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

July 4th 1934, Petersburg, Alaska (Film)

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I didn't see a thread running where this would fit but I wanted to share with my fellow loungers. This is where I've been living the past few years. The town hasn't changed all that much but fashions certainly have.

A lot of great hat shots in that movie. I liked the overhead crease shots. Not to mention the bathing beauties, wrestling (unfortunately not the bathing beauties wrestling) and boat races.
Thanks for posting it,
Michael

I didn't see a thread running where this would fit but I wanted to share with my fellow loungers. This is where I've been living the past few years. The town hasn't changed all that much but fashions certainly have.

That was fun. Thanks for posting.

Ah.... the days before women believed the lie that thin looks good

Come to the midwest...

Now this was a treat this morning over coffee. Thanks a lot for posting this one. What was the population of the town then vs. now?

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Now this was a treat this morning over coffee. Thanks a lot for posting this one. What was the population of the town then vs. now?
Population of the town of Petersburg in the thirties was between 1200 and 1300. Today, the population of the Petersburg Borough, which includes all of Mitkof Island plus parts of Kupreanof and Kuiu islands, is around 3000. Population of the town proper is probably under 2000 (Especially in the winter). Here's a video of the 2014 4th of July parade. Notice the same Fire Truck from the 1934 video leading the parade.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112