Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EL Principe

New in Town
Hello all,

As a big fan of the show I've been looking for this iconic hat for a while. There's currently a 4X wool stetson "marshall" on the market, which is actually quite different to the one worn in the series.

As far as I can tell the closest thing now on the market is actually the carson, available in 6X silverbelly. However I found it available in a few different brim widths, 3 1/4, 3 1/2, 3 3/4 inches.

There was a thread on this topic a while back, but it wasn't definitive. Does anybody know about this hat or own it? Which width would be the "correct" one closest to the original hat? I guess it is proportional to the size?

I'm ordering from overseas so want to get it right on first go :)

Thank you

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
The hat that is produced by Stetson named "Marshall" for FX's program Justified has the following details:
Body: 4X (Wool)
Color: D4 Ranch Tan
Profile: 62
Crown: 4.25 (4 1/4) inches
Brim: 4 inches
62 Marshall
Style #: SWMARS-6240

If you are wanting this same style of hat in the same color that is not wool, I would suggest you look at Bar None in D4 Ranch Tan. The Bar None is the only other hat that Stetson lists as being available in D4 Ranch Tan. The Bar None also comes with the 4.25 (4 1/4) inch crown. You may ask a retailer of Stetson's to Special/Custom order the hat for you. If I were to suggest what you may be looking for, the following is what I would offer:
Bar None 6X, D4 Ranch Tan, Profile 62, 4.25" Crown, 4" Brim (The Bar None does come with a 4.25" brim, but I am confident that Stetson can manage a cut down.)

Bar None Details (as taken from Stetson's Catalog Fall 2015 and Fall 2016)
Body: 6X (non-wool) Felt body (I have no clue what the mixture is.)
Profile: 94
Crown: 4.25 inches (4 1/4)
Brim: 4.25 inches (4 1/4)
SFBNOE-9442
Color hat is available in: Black/ Silverbelly/ D4 Ranch Tan

The Bar None hat does not come with a leather hat band that is found on the Marshall. You may be asked to pay extra for such an alteration, but you will never know if you do not ask. I hope this helps and happy hunting!

Reactions: RJR

Shooter

New in Town
Assuming you are buying new in the region of $250 and are wanting an accurate copy without having to resort to reshaping it yourself, I would bypass the Carson and look at the replica sold by Knudsen for $270 at knudsenhats.com. You get the exact same quality Stetson but they shape the crown and brim a hell of a lot closer to the original and you get the correct hatband, plus they will cut the brim to whatever width you want. They will also stretch it to long oval if you need that. Well worth it for that extra $20.

As for the brim width, we have established that the original was a size 7 1/4 and Baron have confirmed the brim width was 3 1/4". So depending on your size either go with 3 1/4", or if ordering 7 3/8 or above I would suggest asking for a 3 3/8" brim to keep the proportions

Cowboy Cop

New in Town
Well guys my Stetson Marshall finally arrived. Arrived after two months, insane. But nevertheless here it is. http://wildbillswestern.com/hats/fur-felt-hats/stetson-marshall-4x-ranch-tan-western-hat.html so this the one i got. I intend to cut the brim and reshape it so it looks more like the hat from justified. Actually i will give it to the professional hat maker to do this for me. I am just wondering, here it says this is 4x wool hat. Is it even possible to cut the trim down without damaging the hat as you can with felt hats? Sorry for foolish questions I am new at this.

I will take my picture with the stock hat on sunday. :)

parispal

Familiar Face
Very disappointed by the service, as the hatband was way too small... No size mentioned, they did not tell, I did not ask. Lesson learned! gave one to my daughter, the second one to a friend of hers

Coop5150

New in Town
Hey guys I've been eyeing this thread for a while and have decided to post something. I want to buy a hat just like his, but I don't want a replica hat. A while ago someone posted something about a "stock stetson 5x in ranch tan" because the crown is taller than the Carson (and looks more accurate) and reshaping it, the photos of his hat won't ever load for me. Then there's the Carson 6x. I don't mind buying one of these but I want to choose correctly. If anyone has these hats please let me know, I'd like to know more and ask more questions. I want to be 100% sure before buying one! Thanks for the help

Coop5150

New in Town
So I guess what I'm asking is, should I go with the Carson and just trim the brim, or would I be happier if I reshaped and trimmed the stock stetson. Also, anyone know if these hats are rain proof? Thanks guys

RJR

24 hours later. With a spare hat band. Now I am debating if I should break out my iron and scout hat press or leave it as is for now.
Opinions?
Johnny
Looks good,but brims & bashes are very personal so I'd probably tweak until I was satisfied.

parispal

Familiar Face
Not sure if I already mentioned this, but Jaxonbilthats.com makes an excellent example.
I had been in touch with them and here is their answer:

"Herve, Thanks for your interest in JAXONBILT Hats. Our genuine fur felt is $285; 50% beaver felt is $385 and 100% beaver is $485. All funds US Shipping by priority mail is approx $60. It will be our pleasure to build your JAXONBILT.

The Justified in a genuine fur felt with the custom leather band is $305; in 50% beaver the cost is $405 and in 100% beaver the cost is $505. If I can be of further service, please let me know. Contact us at roy@jaxonbilthats.com

https://www.facebook.com/Jaxonbilt-Hat-Company-194328980600580/

http://jaxonbilthats.com/shop/custom-movie-hats/justified-movie-hat/
justified-movie-hat.jpg

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I recently started re-watching JUSTIFIED from the beginning again. Still a great show, with writing and acting among the best of TV in recent years. This prompted me to finally get a hat to properly convert into a replica of Raylan's silverbelly western. I started with a nice Akubra Rough Rider in light sand color from Everything Australian...

2mfhpbt.jpg

Trimmed and tamed the big, upswept nearly-4" brim down to 3-1/8" with Raylan's more subtle curl, replaced the horsehair band with the correct basket-weave band, tweaked the crown a little, and came up with this. I'm happy with the results.

35kv4o2.jpg
wioldg.jpg

projectthx138

New in Town
Hey Guys,

Sorry I have been gone but I have a VERY BUSY life.............. :(

Anyways, I thought you might like to see this............

I have a jacket just like Raylan wore in season 1 FOR SALE. The jacket is Raylan's famous yellow/tan buckskin western jacket. To see this jacket check out my latest post on "It was Justified" Facebook page.................... https://www.facebook.com/everythingjustified/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points