Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kilts

Highlander

A-List Customer
Aye, for sure his kilt hose and his shoes. :)

I could tell the story of the drunken Scottsman that passed out on the beach and the two young college lasses that passed by wondering the same question, but decorum prevent me from telling the story. :) (It is quite cute however).

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
Did he win the blue ribbon? ;)

My latest kilt just arrived yesterday from Scotweb, who I believe Edward mentioned. It was one of their clearance kilts so was a great price on a very well made kilt in the tartan I've been looking for.

I've heard great things about Barbara, Kathy and Matt as well. Also Rocky at USA Kilts can probably get the tartan you want. It would be hard to go wrong with any of them, I think.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I'll throw another vote for Kathy. She makes wonderful kilts. Clan Donald here so Campbell :eek: is something I will not wear.

I know that kilts as we know them are a recent invention, but I still like to wear mine. I also wear the belted plaid at times. But, not in Mobile. It's far too warm.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Beowulf:

I believe when the Scotsman woke up he sensed something wrong, and upon inpsection... "Aye laddie, Don't know where you've been, but I see you've won first place"...

Yes, one of "me" favorite stories :)

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I have never understood the common North American thing where people have no problems wearing tartans, regimental or school ties, &c. that they have no entitlement to. Just because it doesn't mean anything to you is no reason to think that you are entitled to wear it. I have no desire to display a university degree from a university that I did not attend, or wear someone else's war medals. Particularly if I had not even served in that war.

While someone else's family tartan or regimental tie may seem like fair game to many who are not entitled, I think that there are quite a few Americans who would take offense at non-veterans, or even foreigners wearing American Iraq or Vietnam service medals if they had never even been to those countries.

In fairness however, if you support or are just interested in the cause, war, regiment, whatever, feel free to collect associated memorabilia and paraphenalia (sp?), just don't wear it out in public as if you had entitlement to it if you don't. If you like kilts but have no Scottish ancestry, great; get a kilt in one of the "free" plaids that are not associated with a particular clan or family.

RANT OVER ;) - enjoying the thread by the way.

kiltie

Practically Family
That was kinda my point - there isn't really much in the way of "entitlement", beyond the Regimental tartans ( the Prince of Wales wears, such and such while in residence at Balmoral, men of Perth entitled to the white tie, etc... ). They're part of a scheme invented in 1815(?) by a couple of guys looking to make a buck - FOR THE MOST PART. They made up the registry, etc... Look it up. I'm too lazy to cite my references right now, but it's all out there.
As for the Reg. ties and school ties, we just tend not to recognize them, not dis regard their value. Ralph Lauren and Tommy Pull-my-finger and those guys make replicas or versions very close to many of those old ties. Unless you're a buff, why would you recognize them?

Okay - not THAT lazy. Try this out for starters:
http://encyclopedia.stateuniversity.com/pages/21723/tartan.html

Lord Macdonald was so far removed from his Highland heritage that he wrote the Society: "Being really ignorant of what is exactly The Macdonald Tartan, I request you will have the goodness to exert every Means in your power to Obtain a perfectly genuine Pattern, Such as Will Warrant me in Authenticating it with my Arms."

Lifted from the above link...

Those silly North Americans ( make sure of the distinction - I'm exempt, being from Texas ), they're such a source of embarassment to the human race. Somebody quick, throw another rock...

Madcap72

One of the Regulars
scotti.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
Got my new kilt (from the Kiltmaker in Glassgow). It's an ex- hire (rental), so I took what they had. It's an inch too long, and for now I can just wear it a little high.

But does anyone know the right stitch or the right tailor to alter it?

I love the kilt though

Thanks,

Steve

Panache

A-List Customer
Highlander said:
My new kilt I just got today.
McGregorHunting3-vi.jpg

Highlander,

As another of the kilties here Fedora Lounge let me say that you are looking quite sharp! (though I usually match the leather colors of my sporran and shoes)

Are you going to wear it tomorrow for Burns Night?

Cheers

Jamie

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Robert Burns's Birthday!

Oy! You just reminded me of several years worth of terrific annual parties celebrating the great poet's birth, enhanced by fine nectar of the gods, and marred only by the necessity of at least tasting the haggis that our lovely hostess had gone to so much effort to prepare.
I'm afraid I'll never aqcquire that taste for that great Neolithic culinary treat.

Queue

Familiar Face
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or worn a utilikilt?

I know they're not really this crowd's style, the traditional tartan kilts fit that very much to a T, but I'd be interested to hear from folk.

Thanks.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Queue said:
I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of or worn a utilikilt?

I know they're not really this crowd's style, the traditional tartan kilts fit that very much to a T, but I'd be interested to hear from folk.

Thanks.

I have two, a green Mocker and a black Workman's. Though I wear my traditional kilt more often, they provide a nice change-up.

John Chance

New in Town
I own two original style Utilikilts, a black and a gray. I have yet to find a tartan that I can both appreciate and afford at the same time. Plus I can dress them down with the right t-shirt and boots or dress them up with a shirt and tie and high polish Ghillie Brogues.

A nice modern-ish alternative, quality is excellent, highly recommended.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a black Mocker and a caramel Workmans. They're good and hard wearing. The Workmans in particular has been through a lot and only has one spot in need of mending.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Good Morning Panache:

You know, I hadn't even thought about the Sporran/Shoes matching??? DUH, I'd always try and match my belt and my shoes. : )

Sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees.. I was so excited about my new kilt that I didn't even think about the leathers...

Thanks for pointing that out...

Steve

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
bburtner@moran said:
What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
There's nothing worn under my kilt,it's in perfect working order:D :D .
Having said that, my kilt is a ww1 black watch kilt made of the heavy wool.The first time I wore it to a Burns supper, my thighs were red raw with the scratchy wool! My pipes are R.G.Lawries also from 11th.BTN A&SH stamped on the ferule of the bass drone stock.

celtic

A-List Customer
Highlander said:
Good Morning Panache:

You know, I hadn't even thought about the Sporran/Shoes matching??? DUH, I'd always try and match my belt and my shoes. : )

Sometimes we don't see the forest for the trees.. I was so excited about my new kilt that I didn't even think about the leathers...

Thanks for pointing that out...

Steve

i'm by no means an expert, and i'm generalizing,

but i've always understood that black belts, brogues and sporrans are to be used for more formal occasions (or at night)

and that brown belts, brogues and sporrans are to be used for daytime and less formal occasions.

Abyss

Familiar Face
I have a casual kilt in black, somewhat similar to Utilikilt, kind of like their mocker style except they don't have the studs on the front apron and have several leather buckle straps on the side. I think it's a better look than the V on the Utilikilt, especially since the Utilikilts are designed to be worn without sporrans and I wouldn't wear a kilt without a sporran.

I read someplace that the man behind the Utilikilts wanted to make skirts for men, but he knew they wouldn't sell if he called them skirts so he slapped the name "kilt" on them, and poof, they are some of the most popular casual kilts out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points