Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(KNIVES) Let's see some sharp pointy objects

TPD166

One Too Many
I picked up a few knives out of a “knife box” in a shop the other day – most unremarkable. But I found this tiny (almost to the point of useless) Sheffield interesting – cannot find any info about it (or another one like it) online. Well-made, but nearly impossible to open one-handed).

Another tactical folding knife had this logo on the blade – not sure if it is maker’s mark or not. No other markings at all. A very well-made knife and would love to know more about it. Does anyone recognize this logo? My research has turned up nothing.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Here's a little sgian.... work in progress. Needs a little colour, shine and filler in the tang hole but it has possibilities for a casual daytime sock knife :)

P1010800-003.JPG

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
The pictures have disappeared from a lot of the early posts on this thread. Would some of you consider reposting? It's disconcerting to see descriptions of what sound like fascinating knives but not being able to see the picture. Meanwhile I'll see if I can figure out how to post pics of some of my collection. I've been collecting for more than 50 years.

Celia

A-List Customer
240mm handmade/hand forged gyuto kitchen knife from the workshop of Shosui Takeda. Inner core of AS (aogami super blue steel) jacketed on both sides by carbon steel with a rustic kurouchi finish. Weighs less than 6 ounces.

takeda1.jpg

takeda2.jpg

takeda3.jpg

That looks great Alan, I love the finish. I have a couple of Japanese knives in the kitchen as well and they are razor sharp, slice through anything as if it were butter. Totally worth the money. I have the scar on my finger to prove it ;)

As for pocket knives, I rarely travel without my swiss army knife. Nothing fancy or vintage, but functional.

That looks great Alan, I love the finish. I have a couple of Japanese knives in the kitchen as well and they are razor sharp, slice through anything as if it were butter. Totally worth the money. I have the scar on my finger to prove it ;)

As for pocket knives, I rarely travel without my swiss army knife. Nothing fancy or vintage, but functional.

Thanks for your note. I've collected kitchen tools for many years and have (way too) many knives - old ones, new designs... quite a few Japanese knives. This is the first hand made knife I have purchased. The workshop has been in existence since 1920 - three generations of Takedas have run it. The three workers can turn out about 250 knives a month. There is a nice article on Shosui Takeda here.

I used to keep a small folding knife tool in my travel backpack. We can't do that anymore in the US... if forgotten, it will be taken away by airport security when the bags are screened. I lost a nice knife that way once.

Celia

A-List Customer
Thank you for the link, it's good to see craftmanship like this surviving in this day and age.

We can't get through airport security with pen knives anymore either here in Europe. I almost always travel by train though, which solves the problem. Even on the Eurostar (through the channel tunnel), where they have airport-like security, they do allow swiss army knives (and let me through with a hat pin). I've travelled all across Europe by train and found it much more civilised and relaxing than flying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ