Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies in Vintage Jodhpurs and breeches

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
Dear ladies...
A wonderful lady friend of mine owns and wears vintage jods'. They look wonderful, and very characteristic. I'll get some pic's ASAP. Tried to load one of the pics' of her but need to crop it down. Anyway..any thoughts? :rolleyes:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE vintage jodhpurs!!!! They are very sexy. My husband perks up when a lady in one of my old movies has them on. He wants to get me a pair and I would totally love that !!! pics of your girl, please!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I was just remembering Jessica Biel, in Jodhpurs, in the recent film,
"The Illusionist"- I thought she looked great in them.
I tried to Google-up an image, then tried in text and to my chagrin, found this:

"... The costumes are splendid (except for the ugly jodhpurs that Jessica Biel wears in the otherwise romantic last scene)."

This was in a review of the film, at Amazon... just goes to show how not all share my excellent taste.

I really like the look of a woman in old style jodhpurs- yessir, I like it a lot.

B
T

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
Thanks so much ladies...

I'll work on the pix. If you can't find any at a vintage clothing store, try http://www.1aiel.com. Ask for Bob. I ride English and the pair he made for me are great! He'll customize them for you, (more flare if you'd like). He has several patterns and their not expensive. I hate the "disco spandex" jod's look on a women. The type with a good flare are much more characteristic, and make a ladies waist look so small? Also a terrific movie for reference is "Tarzan Escapes". Again, I'll work on the pix of my lover in some of hers'. Women have asked her where she got hers. She showed me this fashion item, try the link:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=10&um=1&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&sa=N

P.S. Breeches end below the knee. Jodhpurs end at the ankle. (So says my lover. And she'd know).

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Didn't Lauren post some pictures of herself in vintage jodhpurs/breeches awhile back? And there were some really cute pictures from the 20's that somebody posted in the vintage family pictures thread too.

glass susie

New in Town
I wear breeches or as the label says ''pantaloon motorcyclists'' when in my ATS DR kit on my motorbike. I'm afraid I don't find them sexy but they are extremely practical. Apologies for the serious face but I was caught unawares!

PictureGoodwood2006034-1.jpg

I have also been known to wear Land Army breeches, great for a vintage cycle ride, very comfey, but again I still do not consider them sexy!

Windsor03001.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Love all the pictures!!!

I've been on lookout for some jodhpurs too! I need some for the Bonnie and Clyde Festival. We are reenacting the Dexfield Park scene where Blanche gets arrested. Here's some pictures, this would be 1933

ScreenHunter_10Jan071330.jpg

ScreenHunter_06Jan071250.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Looks like I'm the odd gal out here, but I don't like them at all. I think they're very unflattering and make any lady, no matter how slender, look like she has horrible saddlebags. I would never wear them! Obviously, they have some appeal, especially with the gents, that I'm just unable to find!

But that's just my humble opinion :eek:

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
To Texas Girl

Bob's company http://www.1aiel.com, is somwhere in North Dallas. If you're in that area. I gave him my measurements in an e-mail. They fit great. And are well made. Ridden in them for four years. And they do double duty. I'm a member of the Royal Order of Edwardian Shotgunners: http://vintagers.org. Many ladies in jods' and breeches. Somewhere I've got a photo of my lover and I in our breeches/boots hats with our side-by-side double barrels, shooting sporting clays. I'll look for it.

FYI The vintage breeches she purchased had to have the leg area below the knee widened, an open wedge under the leather leg patch. And the waist taken in.

I enjoy the company of a woman that has the character for such a look. And will try the sports I enjoy. Others I have known can be quite dower, boring...and "pedestrian" in their fashion. They see style and character through their 'Walmart eyes'. Avoid them.....

Cheers.....:fedora:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Funnily enough, I need to get a pair!

Recently got a fabulous tweed hacking jacket and a pair of brown boots, so now I need the jodphurs to complete the outfit. I thought the boots would be the hard bit but a friend found a pair of small men's officer boots.

Definitely going to get a vintage pair. I just need to get the right size as I am tall. There always seem to be plenty about here in England.

I think they're great and really comfortable. Like Glass Susie, I have Land girl breeches too. I love wearing them!

Mountain Pilot

New in Town
To Miss Sis:

My lover who by the way is my wife of 28 years and mother of three...is tall also. In any heel at all she's 5'10"
(It's great becuase I'm 6'3"). And she was able to find four pairs. But needed to alter them as per my eariler post. As a rule of thumb she learned that the flare should be at least as wide as your shoulders. That's the right amount of give when your on a horse.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2780156600101074773qoPpyh Again I'll try to get more pix as examples.

Cheers.....;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Somewhat :eek:fftopic: ... but I looove this puppy dog on the Shotgunners' photo page:
203987702-L.jpg

I also love women in riding habit. I was gonna link to a pic of Valerie Hobson wearing it and being all haughty and princessy in Adventures of Tartu/Sabotage Agent, but there aren't any.

just_me

Practically Family
While I was searching for vintage riding clothes, I found this company. They're not vintage, but they are vintage style breeches:

http://www.ohalloranco.com/designer-vintage-breeches-jodhpurs.html

BTW, jodhpurs are longer than breeches and go to the ankle. They're worn with jodhpur or paddock boots. Breeches fit tightly from the bottom of the knee to the bottom of the calf and are worn with either tall boots or short boots with half chaps.

Mountain Pilot's wife is wearing breeches. Ginger Rogers is wearing jodhpurs.

tophat21to.jpg

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Only for slender hipped women?

Do jodhpurs and breeches only look good on slender hipped women? Or can women with large hips wear them also?
Sarah

just_me

Practically Family
newtovintage said:
Do jodhpurs and breeches only look good on slender hipped women? Or can women with large hips wear them also?
Sarah
Do you mean the vintage ones with the flare? It's been so many years since I've seen women (other than thin women in movies) wearing them that I don't really remember how a woman with hips looks in them. I suspect just like with any pants, women with hips are going to look different than women without, but that's not a bad thing.

I would suggest trying them on before buying if possible. Then you can make your own decision on how you look in them.

I wear the newer breeches several times a week when I ride. Do I think I look as good in them as the thinner riders? No, but that's life. (How well I ride is more important to me.)
lol

glass susie said:
"...I wear breeches or as the label says ''pantaloon motorcyclists'' when in my ATS DR kit on my motorbike. I'm afraid I don't find them sexy but they are extremely practical. Apologies for the serious face but I was caught unawares!

PictureGoodwood2006034-1.jpg

I have also been known to wear Land Army breeches, great for a vintage cycle ride, very comfey, but again I still do not consider them sexy!..."

All a matter of taste, m'dear. I want to ride pillion with you!

Here is a snapshot from last year at Ticket To The Twenties, Steve & Linda:
20_jodpursDance.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ