Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what are you doing this evening?

lframe

One of the Regulars
I'm coming in after a long absence. Been down with a virus and after spending a few days in my vintage beauty books, am kicking myself for not being here more often.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tonight... I'm watching The Thin Man

..nice movie choice, Leonore! :eusa_clap

..and looking for a new job to make me happy. Something where I'm not wearing jeans and tennis shoes and dealing with people that smell funny..

Been there, done similar: I used to sit 8hrs with headphones on, listening to radio commercials (workplace: advertisement monitoring).. ah, ever so dull! Now, smelly people are present, but at least I'm no loger stuck in a booth.

moose1912

New in Town
Slow night

Although the weekend has come and gone, I still find myself with a bit of vacation time left.

Another slow, restful night! Maybe there's something good on TCM tonight...

Lenore

Practically Family
Sitting at the local college waiting to speak to an advisor. They gave me a little light up disk like at a restaurant. Maybe if I stare at it hard enough...

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
last night: watching the Tango scene with Jessica Biel and Colin Firth from the film, Easy Virtue again and over again several times with and also without my dancing sweetheart Tom. We're working on leaning steps from this to add to our Tango repertoire.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
last night (Saturday, 4/6/2013): my dancing sweetheart Tom and I went to a themed dance, "The April in Paris at Midnight Ball". Put on by P.E.E.R.S. (Period Entertainment and Events Recreation Society), in San Mateo, CA.

Here we are dressed for the event:
555538_326399340795784_600343814_n.jpg

Lenore

Practically Family
I'm recouping from the Japanese festival today... my feet hurt and I just want to sleep...unfortunately someone fell asleep in the car on the way home, and is wiiiiiiiiide awake. We're watching Blue's Clues.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sitting at the local college waiting to speak to an advisor. They gave me a little light up disk like at a restaurant. Maybe if I stare at it hard enough...

That would really bother me... both as an instructor and as a student. I mean really? Are we processing people like in restaurants in education? Do I really need more work in scheduling students?

But I guess the question is, to me, is does it really work better for you? Do you like it?

I can see how it could be helpful during registration when advisers have 20 students to talk to and it's horrifically frustrating to get overlooked. But still, it seems like taking names would be better than that.

Last edited:

Lenore

Practically Family
If it were me waiting on an instructor, I probably would have been angry.

The fact that it was just to get in to see someone to talk about becoming a student is what didn't make me overly grumpy about it. There was a lot of people there waiting to do the same thing, and essentially, it's a more "modern" form of calling someone's name when they're ready for you. Keeping up with the times and all that...

What's funny is that I ended up with my name being called anyway, because the little discs were malfunctioning. [huh]

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If it were me waiting on an instructor, I probably would have been angry.

The fact that it was just to get in to see someone to talk about becoming a student is what didn't make me overly grumpy about it. There was a lot of people there waiting to do the same thing, and essentially, it's a more "modern" form of calling someone's name when they're ready for you. Keeping up with the times and all that...

What's funny is that I ended up with my name being called anyway, because the little discs were malfunctioning. [huh]

Ah, I see. I thought you might be talking about a professional adviser rather than an instructor adviser after I wrote it. (As in, someone who's main function is advising students as opposed to teaching). I've only been at one school with professional advisers that helped students. I actually think they're a great thing- they have a much much better knowledge of the courses and instructors than someone who teaches does. They don't actually train teachers to be advisers... but yet so many school rely on their teaching faculty to advise students. And it can make a huge difference on getting a great versus an OK degree with what classes you take.

Good luck on your application! What are you going back to school for?

Lenore

Practically Family
Echocardiography and Vascular Ultrasound. I'll be several years before I get to that point, but you have to start somewhere. I'm excited nonetheless. I have a white lab coat hanging in my closet to help with my motivation... One day, it'll have "L. LeBlanc, RDCS, RVT" embroidered on the pocket. I can't wait. :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last night: My sweetheart Tom and I went to hear the pianist and dance to his music at the Laurel Court restaurant in The Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.

the lobby and looking toward the piano in the Laurel Court, photo taken standing at the inside of the front doors

I wore red beaded and sequin dress found in a vintage shop. Its not that old (80s or 90s?), but removing the shoulders pads gave it an earlier feel.

Tom wore his vintage early 1940s midnight blue DB tuxedo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ