Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with cigarettes

Hondo

One Too Many
Hey Daisy hang in there, It took me a while to quit, I always said I'd quit before I'm 30, then said I'll quit before I'm 40, then I'd quit before I'm 50 (I finally quit just before 49). I know its tough, keep trying ;)

These days personally I don't care how good she looks, dresses sexy or smells of sexy perfume, if she is holding and smoking a cig. I'd have to be very drunk to kiss an ashtray, I mean her. I always carry mints. Rather kiss a candy cane if thats her namelol
40 or 50 years ago it might not have been a big deal, because everybody did it, and they thought it was cool just like in the movies. Well it isn't!!!
Geez how I used to love cigs with coffee or booze, BUT...Its a nasty, dirty habit and it stinks! I want to live, I've done enough damage to my body.
Good Luck to all who are trying to quit, you'll get it (quit) just don't give up hope:eusa_clap

Girl Friday

Practically Family
My favorite line from Dead Again (I am a huge Kenneth Branagh fan):

Cozy Carlisle: Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There's no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that. If you're a nonsmoker, you'll know.

This was the role Robin Williams played.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
I'll keep my reply short, because my actual thoughts on the subject will probably offend the smokers of this place....but I'll say that when I see a woman smoking, I tend to lose a lot of respect for them.

So, no, I don't see it as sexy at all!

KAT

A-List Customer
p5762.jpg

Ida Lupino was smoking a lot in the movie Road House!
But i like seeing women smoking cigarettes in classic movies!
They look so perfect and flawless and you would never think of a bad breath, smelly yellow fingers a smelly house or yellow teeth! They stay pretty, no matter what!

some other pics
Lupino.jpg

1935c.jpg

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it's that back then, a lot more people smoked because it was considered, to a degree as Lizzie mentions, stylish and a social thing. Also, people didn't know about all of the health issues involved. A large percentage of the population - men & women - smoked. Now we're more educated about the various cancers, emphysema and other health issues, and the tobacco industry was found to have known for decades and covered up the health risks directly attributable to their products.

KAT

A-List Customer
i know it wasnt "stylish" for german women to smoke AND/ OR to polish their nails. Eva Braun did both and I read Hitler told her "you either give up smoking or me:"[huh]

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Didn't Bette Davis seem to smoke until she passed on?
For some reason I recall an interview in the late 1970s where
she is puffing on a cigarette in a cigarette holder?

Even though the gals in the movies looked glam, sexy or dangerous
smoking...I have never witnessed this 'look' first hand at watching
or noticing others smoking.

With smoking...each his own...however, I feel it is bad for
the smoker & those around the second hand smoke.
I use to go to a place around here that had great live music,
and although smoking inside a club is prohibited people were
allowed to smoke.

I always felt so horrible the next day with my head feeling clogged up.
AND not to mention my clothes & hair would smell like smoke.
I would have to take a shower immedietely upon getting home so
I wouldn't carry the smell into my linens.

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
But smoking is so iconic....

JazzBaby, have to agree. Smoking looks so cool and sexy in the old films and photo, but is gross to the max in the real world.

I use cigarettes a lot in my portraits. They add so much atmosphere....of course, then I spend the next day coaxing said atmosphere out of the studio.

film_noir_0016.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
She's such a beautiful lady, that, to me, the cigarette still looks gross...but, the picture would have been great her just sitting there [huh]
You see the old movies and the smoke sometimes get's so thick like a curtain, growing up in a house where the exact thing was a daily reality, makes me cringe when I see that..there's no air! Even if the guy looks all sexy, if he's got a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, I still can't help but think of how awful he probably smells and kissing someone, how much like an ashtray he's tasting to the poor lady

Camille

Familiar Face
To me, it's not about women looking sexy and classy because they smoke, it's about being able to smoke in a sexy and classy way.

marlene1.jpg

Those that -do- now how to do it can smoke a huge cigar and still look darn attractive.

Too bad I'm so allergic, otherwise I would learn how to, just for looks. *fashion victim*

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
The same applies to men, I think. Some can make it look pretty darn nifty. Other guys just look like they have a stinky habit. [huh]

I think you've hit it. Some people can pull it off, and as Filmnoirphotos mention, it adds atmosphere, and in photos like that, it's almost a necessary accessory to set a certain mood.

Fedorista

Familiar Face
KAT said:
i know it wasnt "stylish" for german women to smoke AND/ OR to polish their nails. Eva Braun did both and I read Hitler told her "you either give up smoking or me:"[huh]

Adolf, the original "Tobacco-nazi"

...The Nazis had a powerful anti-tobacco movement, arguably the most powerful in the world at that time. Tobacco was opposed by racial hygienists fearing the corruption of the German "germ plasm" (i.e., genetic material), by industrial hygienists fearing a reduction of people's capacity to work, by nurses and midwives fearing harm to the "maternal organism." Tobacco was said to be a "corrupting force in a rotting civilization that has become lazy." The Nazis' anti-tobacco rhetoric drew from an earlier generation's eugenics rhetoric and also reflected an ethic of bodily purity and zeal for work.3 Tobacco use was attacked as an "epidemic," a "plague," as "dry drunkenness," and as "lung masturbation"; tobacco and alcohol abuses were "diseases of civilization" and "relics of a liberal lifestyle."...

More here

Phil

A-List Customer
Frankly I think smoking is gross alltogether. I have some freinds who have lost family members to lung cancer from smoking. I find it very hard to find someone attractive when they smoke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112