Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies with cigarettes

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Hence the breath mints that I'm never without.[/QUOTE]

doesn't matter. mints just make the breath smell like nicotine with mint. still awful. and breath mints really don't help the smoke smell in the hair, on the clothes, coming out the pores.

don johnson of the old miami vice fame was an incredibly sexy man when he lit up but then he was an incrdibly sexy man when NOT lighting up.

on the other hand colin (should be colon) ferrell is not sexy lighting up at all because, imho, he is a total unsexy dork.

sexy just is.

rsg

KAT

A-List Customer
Tobacco nazi..talking about it made me actually wonder
They used to put little collectable pictures in the cigarette packages.
So you would collect all those pictures and put it in a little album/book, like those ones on ebay! All different kinds, with movie stars, uniforms...
but there were also a few which they used for Propaganda reasons. Like "Deutschland Erwacht".sooo mhhhhhh keep on smoking and start collecting for Germany ...
http://search.ebay.de/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.de%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=Zigarettenalbum&category0=

http://antiquariat-feiertag.de/zigbild.htm

http://www.germancards.com/Reemtsma/erwacht.htm

Naama

Practically Family
I wish I would smoke, so I could use on of those cool cigarette holders........ Nah, I think it really looks sexy, mysterious and cool, in the movies, but it's just not worth it.
BD-18.jpg

All%20About%20Eve.jpg

(just had to.... :p )

Naama

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That poster made me think of K.D. Lang's version of "Don't Smoke in Bed" off of the album Drag. Which reminded me of her other recent jazz and standard albums.

Man, she has a great voice. Kinda smokey....:D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think the elephant in the room here is that smoking makes you stink. It makes your house, car and clothes stink, too. If your friends are around you while you smoke, it makes them stink, too.

It also makes you taste bad. (My ex-boyfriend was a smoker; I won't go out with another one.)

As for being glamorous, how glamorous is it to stand shivering by a doorway in the winter puffing on a cigarette? Next time you see smokers outside on their break, count how many of them look especially suave or successful.

Mike in Seattle

Naama said:
I wish I would smoke, so I could use on of those cool cigarette holders........ Nah, I think it really looks sexy, mysterious and cool, in the movies, but it's just not worth it.
All%20About%20Eve.jpg

(just had to.... :p )

:eek:fftopic:
Was it Tallulah Bankhead or Marlene Dietrich who said, after being asked if she smoked after sex, "I don't know, dahling...I've never bothered to look." lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist... ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
It also makes you taste bad. (My ex-boyfriend was a smoker; I won't go out with another one.)

I don't think it makes you taste bad. I've never smoked in my life, but kissing a smoker, while it has a taste, it isn't a bad taste.

I'm kinda intrigued by the sweet flavors Truth was ranting about on tv. Mocha, lime, etc. Sounds good. That's just me, of course.

carebear

Paisley said:

They say kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray. I try to remember that when I get REAL lonely. ;)

filmnoirphotos

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
She'd look way cooler with the DRINK in her hand instead.

LD

Lady Day, I can't agree. To me there is a sense of style and suggestion of mystery attached to lit cigarettes in the 30s and 40s black & white films - though mind you, I lean heavily towards Film Noir and mystery films. It is, of course, all merely make believe, and in the theatre you can't smell the nasty stuff. On screen the lighting or smoking in a scene adds, well, atmosphere. The drink in the photo would be cool, and I shot some that way, but there was an aire of sophistication and a sense of intrigue with the lit cigarette in the long cigarette holder, where with the drink in hand, it was just a pretty girl sipping a cocktail.

It's interesting how many E-mails I have received in the last few years from folks that have happen upon my portrait photograpy web site, chastising me for using cigarettes and guns in the images. Obviously there are strong feelings regarding both, and I respect their opinions, but typically I counter that these are nostalgic works paying homage to a cinematic look, style that once was, and is still appreciated and enjoyed by many.....though, not everyone. I won't even go into the E-mails slamming me for producing images 'glorifying' violence.....

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'll preface this by saying that I don't smoke and never have.

However, I think that filmnoirphotos is right - it can definitely add a certain atmosphere to a photo, or a film. Almost mysterious.

I'm not going to judge anyone because they choose to smoke, or not smoke. It is a personal choice. I try not to judge the personal choices of others and I hope the same courtesy will be given me. I've never had a cigarette pass my lips, and neither has my husband. However, I will admit that we've been known to smoke the very, very occasional good cigar when among friends. I've dated a smoker, I've got friends who smoke like chimneys, and my father smoked for many years. I'm not condoning smoking, but I'm not going to pass judgment on someone, or lose respect for them, just because they choose to smoke. That seems pretty harsh.

P

Paul

I agree with Fortworthgal, and will add that we are now looking today with our values back on films and photo taken when attitudes were different toward smoking that has a lot to do with the different view found here.
If this post was around in the 30's it might have read very differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk