Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady Adventurers, Women of Mystery!

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
fuzzylizzie said:
Sam, that is a dandy photo. Thanks for sharing it.

Ladies, I just got a wonderful item in the mail - a late 1910s hiking skirt:
teenshikingskirt%20001.jpg

teenshikingskirt%20002.jpg

If you are just wanting the look, you might seek out some of the early stuff from Banana Republic. They did lots of khaki skirts in this style, but without the great pockets.

Wouldn't it be possible to sew on your own pockets? I mean if you really loved that style of pocket and the skirt wasn't vintage couldn't you do that? Just a thought.
Sarah

Sunny

One Too Many
The hard part isn't sewing the pockets; it's finding fabric. The chances of matching the color, weave, and weight are virtually non-existent, and it'll be obvious that they're added later.

What would be easy is making the whole thing. There are boatloads of mid-1990s patterns that are virtually identical; it was an extemely popular design. It would be easy to add pockets when making that, as well as any other modifications to make it more like the 1910s skirt. Like the waistband/belt treatment. In one picture it looks like a wide waistband, but in the other like a self/applied/faux belt.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
You could do that too. Though, depending on what you found you might not mind a somewhat contrasting pocket. You could probably easily find a khaki colored skirt and a very similar colored fabric or garment to make the pockets from.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
It is actually 2 pieces: skirt and belt. It would be an easy garment to copy. The skirt is just a front-buttoning a-line with no waistband. The top of the pockets form the belt loops for the 3" wide belt. The belt actually curves to fit the curature of the waist and upper hip.

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
All of you ladies have such nice things!

I am an archaeology student, and I did a dig last summer, but jeans and sneakers were my constant uniform. But I'm a (poor) college student, and I'll just use that as my excuse :)

But I have to invest in shoes that are cheap enough to dig in and not worry about getting dirty, and look vintage-ish at that. Plus, I need to be able to ride my bike in them, since that is basically my only transportation during the summer. Any suggestions?

It would also be nice if the dirty stays OUT of my shoes...sneakers with mesh were not the best idea!

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Mrs. Merl,

I have a few pairs of leather boots that I love from my horseback riding days.
I have a few pairs of short boots for casual riding and then a pair of beautiful shiny black show boots. I also bought a pair of tall boots that are in the riding style last year really cheap at Target. I thought I might be able to wear those, but like my black show boots, they fit, but after wearing them all day, my calves ache because they are a bit too wide to fit in the boots.
I may whip out the jod boots (the short ones) to wear this summer though.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
I like leather because it keeps out the dirt. I wear all natural socks with them so usually breathability is less of an issue. I also like how leather breaks in but lasts. I do have tennis shoes, but I wear those only for around town and such. Not out in the stick or dirt. Usually, my boots are lower hiking style - not tall - though for some things tall is great! Probably not kneeling though -which I am sure you do a lot. Though perhaps tall lace up style that were well broken in would serve pretty well. There is a picture on the Lounge somewhere with some late twenties gals leaning on the front of a car who are wearing knickers and boots of that style - I would love a well worn pair like that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk