Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lamentations of the Large-headed!

ABrew

New in Town
hi I'm new to this website and to the hat world. I have been trying to find a hat for some time now but I have a rather large head and no where locally has hats in my size. After measuring my head I believe I wear a 7 7/8. I want to try out several hats to find one I'm happy with but I dont believe that is possible with my hat size.

Does anyone have any advise for finding a hat for a large headed fellow?

MattJH

One Too Many
I wear anywhere from a 7 5/8 to a 7 3/4, so I do understand. In fact, I posted a nearly identical thread a year and a half ago. Be persistent and you'll be surprised what you'll turn up. Just three days ago, a vintage Resistol in 7 7/8 went on eBay for $70. Keep your eyes peeled, that's all.

As far as new hats go, Akubra would be my immediate choice. They're generally regarded as the best current, affordable fur felt hat brand. I have several. They label size in centimeters, so you're looking for 63cm hats. The only hat they have available in 63cm is the Akubra Federation IV in both Standard and Deluxe. It seems to be a current favorite around here, coincidentally enough. Do some thread searches to find people's impressions and pictures of it.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can probably find a store with western / cowboy hats. Go there, try some on and find what your true size is. Then look at several online sites and see if you find any that you really like. Order one and see how you like it.

Akubra's are great hats and I'd suggest the same, however, the Federation can only be ordered from Hats Direct in Australia, meaning shipping's around $30-35. If you get it and don't like it and return it, that's $60-70 down the drain right there just in shipping alone. Not a great experience for your first hat. And with your first fedora, the brim and crown are probably going to look to you at first way too big. It takes a little time to get used to them. Take that into account as well.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the lounge ABrew! I feel your pain as I am a 7 5/8 but extra long oval. If you ever make it to the other end of your state you have a hatter in Memphis, www.buckaroohatters.com . If you could make it to the Memphis meet on August 1st You would have a good opportunity to see alot of hats and maybe some in your size.

MattJH

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
Akubra's are great hats and I'd suggest the same, however, the Federation can only be ordered from Hats Direct in Australia, meaning shipping's around $30-35. If you get it and don't like it and return it, that's $60-70 down the drain right there just in shipping alone. Not a great experience for your first hat. And with your first fedora, the brim and crown are probably going to look to you at first way too big. It takes a little time to get used to them. Take that into account as well.

From what I understand, the current Federation IV model has modified dimensions from the III model (the one with the 6" crown) that resolve those issues. Also, I forgot the Akubra Adventurer from David Morgan. They come in 63cm, too.

So, to recap the 7 7/8 Akubras!

Akubra Federation III (dimensional 2 7/8" x 2 3/4" brim with a 6" crown height)
Akubra Federation IV (dimensional 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" brim with a 5 5/8" crown height)
Akubra Adventurer (dimensional 3 1/8" x 2 7/8" brim with a 5 1/2" crown height)

The Akubra Federation III has been discontinued, but they do have some left that you can purchase via direct email to HatsDirect. I just recently grabbed their last Federation Deluxe in Loden in my 7 5/8 (or 61cm) size, so act fast if you want one of them.

All three come open-crowned.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Are you after a fedora style hat? because Akubra do make other hats in your size (for example the cattleman goes up to size 65).

In a fedora or similar dress style...
David Morgan has the Sydney, the Bushman and the Squatter all listed in your size

Aaron Hats have the CEO listed too.

and that's after just a quick google search (but then I am a professional)

MattJH

One Too Many
I had no idea that David Morgan had those three in the big sizes. Nice.

The CEO looks to be down to just the 7 and 7 1/8 sizes. The sale probably diminished their stock quickly.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
here's another in your size
and again

I don't know either hat though, so I am not offering reccomendations. Just finding some options (no students in the library right now as it is semester break here, so I'm honing my research skills)

That said,
I can reccomend the current crop of Akubras. My new stylemaster is my most worn hat. That is to say it is the one I wear most often, my cattleman is the most worn (as in shabby looking).

Shane

New in Town
I wear a 7 7/8. I've won 3 vintage hats off of eBay in as many months in that size. It just takes persistence. And I guess that means I have a new person with which to compete. :)

Cheers,

Shane

ABrew

New in Town
thanks for all the help guys, I really like the looks of the federation iv. But I was wondering how hard it is to shape an open crown hat

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Welcome ABrew!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Read on and you'll find that bashing is an art form that anyone can do...a little staem...a little water...and voila!...Have fun with it!:D

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I have a big head. It sucks. Most people can slip most anything on, but anything except the largest of hats fits my head.

I have a 7 3/4. Even then I still try on hats because I've had hats that size fit a little strange.

Any suggestions for big heads, particuarly online retailers that often carry xxl size hats?

Many true hat shops will carry some larger sizes. You can usually get most Akubras in a 62 which is the equivilant of a 7-3/4's but may need to wait a bit for them.

Chances are the reason why they fit 'oddly' is that while most hats are more of a round in shape many heads are more of an oval shape. When a hat is stiff the round hat and oval head are not copecetic. If a hat softens it may then fit better.

However the more oval the head, the more difficult the fit, and in the past you would see from the various makers mentions of a "long oval" with the size that would accomodate the head shape better. If you are hard to fit then you are often best served by a hat made custom like from Art or the others. Some have a device that will save the shape of ones head and allow the hat to be made to conform, a best fit possible.

jnicktem

One of the Regulars
I too have a 7 3/4" head. I have pretty much given up on factory made hats since one companies 7 3/4 is not the same as another companies. Although I have to say I have had good luck with Akubras in a size 62. Other than that, I stick with custom made fedoras.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I've got an exact 62 head as well and ground floor hat stores rarely serve the likes of me (although, once upon a time in my youth I was lucky to find a graduation hat that fit me). If your head is an exact 62 and you decide to go for Akubra, you should get one size bigger (63) just to account for shrinkage (that's the advice they always give me and for which I can vouch for, since my 62 Federation IV is starting to feel a bit tight, while the 63 is getting just right, given time).

frussell

One Too Many
Akubra 63.

I have found through trial and error that the best bet for my 7 3/4 long oval, nearly 7 7/8 is to go with size 63. Akubra's (some models at least) have a tendency to "snug up" with some heat and wear. I sold a 62 Campdraft that fit great at first but soon needed stretching often. Since then, I've gotten a 63 Fed IV, a 63 fawn Campdraft, and will be getting a silverbelly Campdraft next week. HatsDirect has at least the Fed IV in 63 in several colors, and I believe the Hampton in at least two in that size. Other than that, it's just catch and release for me. I had a bit of accidental luck today, when my two eBay Resistols came to my door. In the auction they were listed as 7 3/4, which is always a crapshoot for me in vintage hats, as some have shrunken a bit over time. One fit snugly but okay, the other one was actually roomy. When I checked under the sweat, I found that one of my new "Kitten Finish" Resistol Beaver Twenty (the other is a 25) was actually a rare 7 7/8! Score one for the giant heads. I've also had luck just cold-calling the Stetson Garland outlet store and asking if they had 7 3/4 and 7 7/8 in certain styles. I've gotten a 7 3/4 Nostalgia that way (perfect fit, my most comfortable hat), and a bargain-priced pure beaver Pinnacle in 7 7/8. Sorry for the ramble, but I've definitely been there. Good luck to you. If I sell some hats soon, which I may before my wife opens my closet, I'll let you know which big ones might go. Frank.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey, I'm only a 59-60 tweener, but I really sympathize!

With respect to eBay, you might be in the rarefied atmosphere where you actually have less competition, because it's too big to fit many...but the downside is there's practically no choice and very few offerings in that range.

These days, echoing what you've heard already, Akubra or custom makers. Art Fawcett and others here are really quite reasonable when you consider the quality. Good luck!

- Bill

If it brings you any comfort, know that you're in more sizable (har, har) company than those on the other end of the spectrum. Or so goes my entirely anecdotal report.

While it's true that the large majority (80-plus percent, I'd guess) wear something between a 7 1/8 and a 7 1/2, I get at least three requests for sizes 7 5/8 and up for every one request for a size 7 or smaller.

That and two and a quarter will get you a non-fat cappuccino.

By the way, psugrad, nice to have you here. Which school is PSU? Portland State?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I have melon hats for sale

- 1920s Gray Eight-Panel Cap ($165)
- Chocolate/Navy Rogers and Peet ($150)
- Light Gray/Charcoal Whippet ($150)
- Natural/Champagne VS Custom $(200)
- Two low-end Panamas from PB ($50 each)

Photos and details in classifieds this weekend. Up on eBay on Sunday.

The second and third have 2" brims. Work of Art is 2.5". All are true 7.75 inch hats in very good condition. No issues, except a vague pinkish (barely visible) line on the Whippet. The cap, BTW, came from Marc C.

PM me with interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21