Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lamentations of the Large-headed!

Alex_H

New in Town
Thanks everyone for their input, I was slightly confused until I realized that my post appears to have been merged with the earlier post I mentioned, but I understand about that. :)
Though now I'll probably get accused of necroposting ;-)

Christina Bellz

New in Town
I have a big head. It sucks. Most people can slip most anything on, but anything except the largest of hats fits my head.

I have a 7 3/4. Even then I still try on hats because I've had hats that size fit a little strange.

Any suggestions for big heads, particuarly online retailers that often carry xxl size hats?

Have you tried Sungrubbies.com? I am a female that wears a 2X and often times have luck there.

In particular, this unisex one suits me well: https://www.sungrubbies.com/products/havana-hat-1

Melonhead

New in Town
You may want to go custom. We have several custom hatters that are affiliated with the forum, but I think many may find you a challenge. Some of the newer guys may have limited equipment and may not be able to serve your needs. However, if you contacted an old line established hatter, you might have a good shot. Off the top of my head,

Peters Bros in Ft. Worth, TX, has been in business for a couple of generations
I realize this post is several years old, but I was just in Peters Brothers this past week asking about a custom hat for my 65cm noggin. He showed me that he didn’t even have the proper forms to make a hat large enough for me, at least, in terms of a crown tall enough to look “right” on me.

I realize this post is several years old, but I was just in Peters Brothers this past week asking about a custom hat for my 65cm noggin. He showed me that he didn’t even have the proper forms to make a hat large enough for me, at least, in terms of a crown tall enough to look “right” on me.

You can go with another hatter.

I recently wanted a favorite hatter to make me a hat that he didn’t have a flange for. I bought a flange and had it shipped to him to use in making my hats. You can do the same thing with a block if your hatter doesn’t have it in the size or style you want. Just be aware that the hat bodies the felter sells your hatter might not accommodate your size.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Sorry for a long post...

That sounds odd. I stopped in to Peter Brothers a few years back while attending a training event in Fort Worth, and they were quite confident about being able to make either a hemp or felt hat to fit me properly. They actually brought out a few of the blocks to show me what they would use. For reference, I'm about a 8 1/2 L.O (give or take). I took advantage of their $100 hemp special they were running at the time. Crown specs requested were minimum 6” tall, straight with as little taper as possible, brim at 2 5/8. They actually over delivered on the crown...it measures a bit over 6 1/2". Real nice work on their part.
IMG_0948.JPG

I too have suffered several disappointments when attempting to have a felt hat made to similar specs. Here is an example (pic from his Facebook site) from a very reliable partner:
nw hat picture from facebook.png

Unfortunately, he didn't hit the crown height mark. I took this photo, showing how it matches up to Campdraft. In retrospect, the gentlemen admitted that he was unable to source a hat body that would give him the material needed. In the end, we sorted things out and continued to do business together.
hat comparison.jpg

I did have a very positive result with Falcon Park Hats. Parker was understanding of the requirements, and went out of his way to ensure he could get his hands on the appropriate hat body. See below for the unbashed hat which shows the 6" crown height.
parker hat 1.JPG
parker hat 2.JPG

Hope this information is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 128

Melonhead

New in Town
Sorry for a long post...

That sounds odd. I stopped in to Peter Brothers a few years back while attending a training event in Fort Worth, and they were quite confident about being able to make either a hemp or felt hat to fit me properly. They actually brought out a few of the blocks to show me what they would use. For reference, I'm about a 8 1/2 L.O (give or take).
My barber told me that old Mr. Peters is no longer there and the son is not yet as talented as his father. I don’t know if that is true, but the man who has served me there is young.

They have been quite helpful to me, not charging for crown adjustments and resizing a hat.

Thank you for the heads up on Falcon Park hats. I’ll need to check them out.

My barber told me that old Mr. Peters is no longer there and the son is not yet as talented as his father. I don’t know if that is true, but the man who has served me there is young.

They have been quite helpful to me, not charging for crown adjustments and resizing a hat.

Thank you for the heads up on Falcon Park hats. I’ll need to check them out.
Rand Custom Hatters out of Billings can accommodate you for sure.

Biltmore (when they were still in Canada) Royal in the color steel. I’m not sure how to make sense out of Biltmore’s brim width labeling, but it’s a 2 ¼” brim with an underwelt edge. The size is 8 ¼ US or 66cm! Biggest hat I’ve found yet. I have the same hat in the smaller sizes of 8 (64cm) and 8 ⅛ (65cm)! These need homes so send me a PM if you’re interested.

52CFAE04-1FD9-49A8-A153-6175D3375C42.jpeg
8F9DCF0D-0EC8-474A-BA28-724426975C8A.jpeg
D56A9D7E-4EE9-4D51-90F4-A9862C329DE1.jpeg
1CE9B326-421F-4B52-B7B9-31E2B8E20C14.jpeg
020450F0-5FD2-480B-BAED-D4FE9530DBB0.jpeg
C4353852-53DA-449E-82A0-0CC4862BBB1F.jpeg
844F5F11-5E7A-4626-A048-E8EBE4170C3F.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points