Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel buttonhole on wrong side of Bogart's suit

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hello gentlemen. I'm watching The Big Sleep (1946) and noticed Bogey is wearing, about halfway through the movie, a single breasted suit where his lapel buttonhole is on the right side. I've never seen that. Was that a period thing? Mistake on the tailor's part?

TheBigSleep.avi_20160825_022606.312.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Didn't Bogey wear his own suits on this? In which case, yes, I'd put it down to a bespoke deviation. I've heard of some guys who like to wear a flower on the right if they're wearing a pocket square, as otherwise they think it's too much all on one side.

What's odd though is that since the lapel button hole evolved from the time when sport coats were true sporting / outdoor wear and there was a need to fully "button up" the jacket, the lapel button hole should be on the same side as the other button hole as a nod to its origins.

That's just my quirky drive for logic, to be fair, since no one uses that buttonhole (and there isn't even a matching button), it doesn't matter, but it still bugs me.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Hello gentlemen. I'm watching The Big Sleep (1946) and noticed Bogey is wearing, about halfway through the movie, a single breasted suit where his lapel buttonhole is on the right side. I've never seen that. Was that a period thing? Mistake on the tailor's part?

View attachment 55448
Hi, that may be an Oviat suit, if memory serves from a discussion in another section up here someplace. They were a clothing establishment in LA that Bogey frequented, and they were situated within the landmark Art Deco Oviat building, within which the Cicada club now operates. Look up Oviat on here, and you should find the appropriate discussions on this stuff. Good eye! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana