Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large-headed newbie needs help picking a hat

PRW94

New in Town
I have Blueish Borsalino 61cm, 7 5/8 I'm putting in the classified, in your price range.

Actually, after the Mrs. and I remeasured my head a few more times ... I saw that one of the custom hatmakers whose site was linked here said do it at least 3 times to be absolutely sure ... I went with 7 3/4 because my head actually wasn't dead-on 24 in. and 61 cm when we pulled the tape naturally taut instead of TIGHT, it was a bit over 24 and between 61 and 62, so I went with higher size.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
UPDATE: Going with a Stetson Temple from HatCo outlet, in Caribou Gray. The Akubra is very tempting, an absolutely definite possibility for 2nd hat which I'm sure will happen at some point ... and I agree with cardelo's assessment, in that I'm leery of ordering from Australia until I actual have some experience dealing with a fur felt hat, would rather not have to deal with a return all the way to the Southern Hemisphere. And I've seen the stuff here about issues with Temple and rain, although it's very doubtful that I will wear this hat in the elements. Bottom line though is the bottom line ... cannot let it get away at the price they quoted me.

I'm curious how did you get a hold of the outlet store?

PRW94

New in Town
I'm curious how did you get a hold of the outlet store?

Googled the number and called 'em on the phone. Very nice folks. I called 'em up and I told 'em I was interested in a Stratoliner, Temple, Chatham, Downs or Whippet, size 7 3/4, in Caribou, they took my number and said they'd check their stock. Got a call back in about an hour, they said they had a Stratoliner and a Temple in stock, for the same price, $99.95, and they put them both back for me while I mulled it over. I called them back and was going to get the Stratoliner but when the person I spoke with earlier answered the phone, she apologized and told me that the Stratoliner was in a box marked Caribou, but it actually was Cordova which is a chocolate brown. I really wanted to go with a gray one as my first good hat because I figured it would be the most versatile color. So I took the Temple. They charge $10 for FedEx shipping.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Back in the '90s I started my hat-wearing with the Stetson Temple. Still have two in colors they no longer offer, a reddish-brown called "Nougat" and a pale gray called "Silver Mist." The Nougat in particular is soft and comfortable and has never lost its shape (though I've never tested it as I would an Akubra). Good choice, especially at the outlet price!

PRW94

New in Town
Back in the '90s I started my hat-wearing with the Stetson Temple. Still have two in colors they no longer offer, a reddish-brown called "Nougat" and a pale gray called "Silver Mist." The Nougat in particular is soft and comfortable and has never lost its shape (though I've never tested it as I would an Akubra). Good choice, especially at the outlet price!

Thanks. As noted, if I had more experience with hats and it wasn't so close to Christmas already, I'd jump on a Federation from Australia. But I'm content that this is the best way right now to get my foot in the door with a fur hat ... I know folks push vintage, and being that my wife loves to go looking at antiques I absolutely have seen a bunch of nice old hats while out and about, but never anything that would even come close to fitting my big coconut, LOL! ... especially if there's an issue and I have to return it, which I'm hoping won't happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112