Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Monkeys Own Jackets - anyone have one?

Duracell

New in Town
Hi all,
This is my very first post, so hi everyone.
I've been looking around for a new or vintage black leather jacket. I want something along the lines of a cafe racer but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I class fortune at the £500 above level. I came across Leather Monkeys http://leather-monkeys.com/ and noticed that the owner, Paul, has listed his site in the Merchants forum. So I wondered if anyone has bought one of his own brand jackets (I'm really interested in the Icon) and would be happy to share some thoughts on leather quality, construction, etc. I have also been interested in his vintage ones but The Right One has come up as yet although I have nearly gone for 3 so far.
Thanks for any help,
Ged

Edward

Bartender
These were much discussed a while ago. As with many others before them, the LMs started out dealing in vintage before deciding to also have their own jackets run up. The two own-models they make look to be fairly close copies of Lewis designs, still in production from LL. Can't comment to their quality as I've not handled one, but I'd be extremely surprised if they could afford to do them for that price to the same level of quality as an actual Lewis. I don't know how consistently good their hides are (one of the first things to be compromised on with leather jackets on a budget); I do know from experience handling them that that was a problem for 70s era real Lewis jackets - for every good one, you'd find one with real thin spots, especially under the collar. Current Lewis are very nice hides indeed, top stuff. Flawless, really (probably, if that matter,s the only one of the British leather brands still producing its own distinctinve designs today as it did back when? Can't think of any others on the leather front, as distinct from Barbour and Belstaff, best known for their waxed cotton).

If your upper budget is £500, there are a range of options. New Aero is outside your budget, but with patience you should be able to find a second hand Aero cafe racer on eBay for £500 or less. Original Lewises float in and around that mark, size depending. If you're near London, these guys are worth a look: http://www.hi-starclassics.co.uk/ Used to be in Camden, based now at Portobello (and various autojumbles). I've seen a lot of Seventies Lewises selling at a keener price than a sixties model - no real difference in design, you just have to watch for better hides and such. Always helpful when you can handle it in person.

If you're not brand-driven, specifically, but all you want is a classic, British cafer racer in that sort of Sixties style, it's worth taking your time and going through jackets made by a lot of the also-ran names from back in the day. There's a lot of quality old British leathers out there. Sizes and quality can vary - even across one maker's range, in my experience - so again worth trying them on. If the Electric Ballroom still has the weekend clothes market in Camden, they used to have stalls with racks and racks of old British leathers anywhere from £20 up.

The advantage of the cafe racer style is that it's such a generic style now, if you're not fussy about very specific details or a very specific brand, there's a huge range of choice out there. Shouldn't be impossible to find something nice within your budget.

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
Never seen one in person or handled one, but I think the the Icon looks pretty decent. Would depend on the quality of the hide and the fit really. I have a Vanson and for the price I don't think you can do better.

robrinay

One Too Many
Just bought a nearly new second hand Vanson Comet on Gumtree for £150 - waiting for delivery - I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives. I've had a few bargains from Gumtree and driven to pay for them and pick them up - but I hear it's not as safe a buying environment as eBay - at least for distance buying.

Duracell

New in Town
Thanks for the replies, especially to Edward. My big problem with choosing is being able to handle the jacket and as I live quite some distance from London the second hand market is a bit too much of a lottery. I have been to Lewis Leathers and loved them but the price! I have also tried on a Aero cafe racer but was put off by the feeling of it wearing me and the breaking in. A friend has a different style Aero and even 4 years in it still doesn't look like his jacket!
I know I won't get the same level of leather quality at the Leather Monkeys price point which was why I asked the question but they may just be the one for me. Does anyone have any more thoughts on LM?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wish the LM guys all the luck in the world, but I would think that anyone who is limiting himself to a certain price-point is doing so for a good reason and would therefore want to go for something a bit more tried-and-true. Seems to me that Vanson would be a safer choice; besides, those LM jackets look awfully tight.I hope you're happy with whatever you choose.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Vanson comp weight leather is no more comfortable than Aero FQHH and you've already said you don't enjoy thick leather. I also dislike 3oz or thicker leathers like FQHH. I've bought more leathers than I can count over 30 years. Second hand is pretty reliable if you know your key measurements - pit-to-pit, sleeve, back length, etc. Why not try Vintage Trends - they're pretty cheap? Vintage often looks a lot better than a brand new jacket.

Thurston Bros/Insurrection Leathers also have an affordable house brand called "Pacific Cycle Leathers" or PLC - they do a nice Brimaco cafe racer copy which I've owned. $399 and I think a nicer look than the LM patterns.

http://www.thurston-bros.com/#!pacific-cycle-leathers-four-pocket-racer/cg72

Last edited:

strokes1251

Practically Family
I couldn't find anywhere on their jacket saying where they are made. They remind me a bit of mall brand jackets tbh hopefully someone can get their hands on one and review it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I did push them on this exact topic, and I didn't get a satisfactory answer tbh. To me it's important that I'm not buying a jacket that's not made of leather (at least a new one) that hasn't been produced in sweatshop conditions. [huh]

Duracell

New in Town
I've had quite a lot of correspondence with Paul and he has always been prompt and answered every question. His reply to where the jackets are made is Slough. I did a search on leather clothing manufacturers in Slough and came up with www.stylees.co.uk, which put me off quite a lot and hence this post.
To answer another earlier post, yes I can send it back if I don't like it and he has dropped the restocking fee on his own brand jackets.
Does anyone have a suggestion for midweight jacket from a UK supplier / manufacturer that is in that price range?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21