Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Trucker Levi's / Lee / Type-whatever jackets!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I'm actually scared of what else you got

There are bits and pieces of info on them online and it took me a while to connect the dots but the deal is, in short, Lee Trevor was a French company that specialized in reviving classic US jacket designs, such as these truckers, CHP motorcycle jackets, cross zips, kaff racers, half belts, flight jackets, etc. but a take of their own. Kinda like Freewheelers. Only a handful of jackets was made in each style so they're very rare. It's possible that this trucker you got won't turn up again any time soon.
Anyway, what they did was they'd slap on a whole bunch of details and design features onto one jacket, stuff you'd usually find on several vtg styles. Some worked well, such as this one and others... Not so much. Like, they'd do both a half belt like on the Perfecto with belt loops in the back and on the sides, all on one jacket. They also extensively used these silly, made-up motorcycle parts brand patches on many of their moto jackets too. That was during the 80's or the early 90's I believe, not sure about that but despite some questionable design choices, I can tell you the quality of their jackets was second to none.

So were the prices. Supposedly, they were extremely pricey but... I don't know the specifics.

Another questionable thing was the fit of their jackets - They were typically over-sized, 90's style. Broad shoulders, baggy, short sleeves, etc. But it somehow worked well. Not the sausage casing styleforum crowd would go for but they did have this cool, rugged vibe to 'em. They were jackets.

They also went great lengths to get all the details right. Like, they had their own chain pulls and snaps and zippers and all that stuff. Ditto for the lining. I mean, the fact that your jacket is lined with a blanked is a huge deal. Anyone else'd just throw in whatever quilted nylon or cotton drill but they'd always try to make it right. You couldn't find a YKK on a Lee Trevor. No expenses spared.

So yea, pretty much exactly the same deal like Aero, GW, LW or anyone in Japan, just decades earlier. They used horsehide, goat, cow, etc. but never tagged their jackets accordingly. I suppose it didn't matter back then. But the hides were always, ALWAYS of the highest quality. Never printed, corrected, nothing. I mean, that much is clear from the photos you posted. Interesting thing is that back in the days when Aero used to sell vintage jackets from other makers, you'd occasionally stumble upon a Lee Trevor on their sale or eBay page and for a good reason. They're really good jackets. Better than most today. I'm still looking for one in my size.
Great history. You really know your stuff!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Ahhh, sh#t, I hit the buy it now button, again.
If I end up homeless with a Prius stuffed to the brim with leather jackets, will any of you take pitty on a poor lost soul and let me unload some of these? Or, will I have to stand next to the freeway entrance with a sign, "will sell leather jackets for food"?

;)

You did well on that one. Worth a look at that price.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I don't know how in God's name I missed out on those two, I often search Lee Trevor... ;_;

I did not pick these jackets. That distinction goes to another. He did not care as much for them, so he contacted me and we ended up with a square trade.

I always look at a Trevor. Other than these two I haven't seen much lately. I've seen the Sewn on labels and other relic work. Not my thing. There is one model I have sought, but have not seen for some time.

I now know a bit more about their sizing.

If you were in the 180 pound range, trim through the middle these would fit very nicely. At my size the limit is reached.

The Lee XL model has faux wear through. It is as heavy, maybe heavier than the lined model. You don't think that till you pick it up. It is heavy.

The wear through on the blanket lined is actual wear. Comparable in weight, a bit more comfortable for me to wear. Nice deep black shine in areas.

I thought about this one. It ran, didn't sell. Came back and sold for around $190 shipped from England.

Easy to get hooked. I continue to drool over Highlarge Leathers.

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600RR.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I almost saw the Lee tag on the pocket. Here is the part of the inspiration for the Medium.

View attachment 96984
Those are shorter than I used to think I liked. But got some high waisted jeans, long shirts, and a decent belt. I am converted. Very cool to see the denim that the leather was based on. Great research, and history. I love it.
Nice rug i the background too.
Thanks!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
You did well on that one. Worth a look at that price.
Thanks T, I needed that, coming from you that means a lot. As you say, at that price worth a look. Plus, still got a paycheck coming in, auto deposit. Got everything set up on auto deposit, and auto draft. Money comes in, and money goes out. My landlord still like me. Life in general, as well as leather jackets bought used online are a gamble. But, better odds than they give you in Vegas.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Ahhh, sh#t, I hit the buy it now button, again.
If I end up homeless with a Prius stuffed to the brim with leather jackets, will any of you take pitty on a poor lost soul and let me unload some of these? Or, will I have to stand next to the freeway entrance with a sign, "will sell leather jackets for food"?

;)
Well it came in today. Its very soft light weight cow hide. A little too big for me, but I don't care. It is really comfy loose and long enough for layering but light enough for a summer jacket. Schott seems fairly made to my still untrained eye. Sticthing, lining, all look solid. I imagine that if I don't baby it that it will darken and get beat up and develop some personalty. I like the wide lapels. And for the money, It's a keeper at $350.

p.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4174.JPG

Well it came in today. Its very soft light weight cow hide. A little too big for me, but I don't care. It is really comfy loose and long enough for layering but light enough for a summer jacket. Schott seems fairly made to my still untrained eye. Sticthing, lining, all look solid. I imagine that if I don't baby it that it will darken and get beat up and develop some personalty. I like the wide lapels. And for the money, It's a keeper at $350.

View attachment 97653
View attachment 97654
View attachment 97656

That's a really, really cool jacket and you can't upgrade far from Schott really! These natural colour hides end up as best looking with time! It should start showing wear quickly. They get darker on the edges. I know some people darken these with Pecard or wax. Think holsters or baseball gloves. That stuff picks up patina right away and the jackets quickly go from near white to brown with lots of variation. Would love to see it when it gets there.

This one started similar...
tumblr_n1gw30exzn1rrhkt8o1_1280.jpg

lol Of all the people in the world, I'd expect a nicer sketch of the jacket from you, man! XD Kidding aside, this would fit me seriously well... A bit roomy but with the winter lining the jacket has, which I find absolutely essential... Do I need another one? Absolutely not. Do I want it? Yes. Those tripple stitches are beautiful. I probably can't afford it but...

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 97653
View attachment 97654
View attachment 97656

I like it. Never had that light a color. Nice for West Coast.

I was so close to buying one like that some years ago... I don't know why I didn't but I regret it to this day. Brooks made some of the coolest ever. There was another one, dark brown with sleeve zippers, shoulder gussets, etc.; all the good stuff. Really loved it. Shame nobody picked some of these jean jacket styles up for repros. Endless supplies of cool jackets. . . I know Brooks is best known for that CR but it's stuff like this that really shows just how good they were.

SJC

Suspended
I was so close to buying one like that some years ago... I don't know why I didn't but I regret it to this day. Brooks made some of the coolest ever. There was another one, dark brown with sleeve zippers, shoulder gussets, etc.; all the good stuff. Really loved it. Shame nobody picked some of these jean jacket styles up for repros. Endless supplies of cool jackets. . . I know Brooks is best known for that CR but it's stuff like this that really shows just how good they were.
The zippers are much much higher quality than the zippers they are using today . There isn't even a scratch on the leather . Terry Mitchell has a lot of gems .

Lotsa repro companies put those oldass Talons and whatnot on their jackets. They call 'em the "New old stock". Problem is, those zippers have been lying God knows where for most of the century. Cotton rots and you have them ripping falling apart soon. They're nice but I'd rather my jacket had a brand new YKK than a questionable old Conmar, as nice as it is. And they are nice. High end YKK's are too and though the standard chunky #10 they make isn't all too polished, it's still an extremely reliable zipper.

But then again, people who're forking out two and a half grands for a leather jacket, aren't buying it for reliability. These won't get zipped up all too often - if at all. That's why Vanson doesn't cut it anymore. I mean, they're nice and all but it's not the quality I'm after, it's the price tag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk