Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lee Storm Rider Jacket

msm007

One of the Regulars
Anyone know anything about the Lee Storm Rider Jacket? I was thinking of buying one from the 60's or 70's.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Good idea! Happily, you can still pick up decent Storm Riders on E**y for not much money — a few tips: ensure that the corduroy on the collar isn't too worn, as it can be difficult to get it replaced; make sure the jacket has no 'side' pockets, just the two on the front; and buy the jacket that looks the best (dark as you can or with a really good patina).

The Lee denim jackets with the side-entry handwarmer pockets — such as the current 'regular' Storm Rider and 101j — are like modern Levi's jackets, in as much as they have a completely different fit on the bottom half of the body due to these additions. They're pretty darn unflattering, when compared to the fit of the 'reissue' 101j or a two-pocket Storm Rider... and also, as the Storm Rider has a blanket lining, the extra pockets add a lot of unwanted bulk!

msm007

One of the Regulars
Good idea! Happily, you can still pick up decent Storm Riders on E**y for not much money — a few tips: ensure that the corduroy on the collar isn't too worn, as it can be difficult to get it replaced; make sure the jacket has no 'side' pockets, just the two on the front; and buy the jacket that looks the best (dark as you can or with a really good patina).

The Lee denim jackets with the side-entry handwarmer pockets — such as the current 'regular' Storm Rider and 101j — are like modern Levi's jackets, in as much as they have a completely different fit on the bottom half of the body due to these additions. They're pretty darn unflattering, when compared to the fit of the 'reissue' 101j or a two-pocket Storm Rider... and also, as the Storm Rider has a blanket lining, the extra pockets add a lot of unwanted bulk!

Thanks for the comments! I was just about to bid on one with the side pockets - won't do that. Thanks:rolleyes:

I read some place that the ones with the side pockets are a little shorter than those without. Can that be true?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I own a Lee Storm Rider jacket from the 60s and it's the 4-pocket version. Mine is just as fitted or more fitted (or trim fitting) than my 1960's Levi Big "E" jacket. I love it by the way.

I won mine about a month and half ago on ebay for $15 USD. It's in such great condition, I'm not sure why no one else picked up on it. Maybe it was too early in the season. It's certainly vintage..made in USA, Union Label, 38 R size. It's still pretty dark with a great patina and the collar hasn't any wear. I had it dry cleaned once I received it and it's a beauty.

Good luck with which ever Lee Storm Rider that you end up with. I think that you'll really like it alot.

msm007

One of the Regulars
I own a Lee Storm Rider jacket from the 60s and it's the 4-pocket version. Mine is just as fitted or more fitted (or trim fitting) than my 1960's Levi Big "E" jacket. I love it by the way.

I won mine about a month and half ago on ebay for $15 USD. It's in such great condition, I'm not sure why no one else picked up on it. Maybe it was too early in the season. It's certainly vintage..made in USA, Union Label, 38 R size. It's still pretty dark with a great patina and the collar hasn't any wear. I had it dry cleaned once I received it and it's a beauty.

Good luck with which ever Lee Storm Rider that you end up with. I think that you'll really like it alot.

Thanks for the good information. I got one which seems to be a bittle later 70' or 80's. A very good deal for 25 dollars! I made an error and got it with four pockets. But I think it still looks like a great jacket.
Is there a special type of denim in these. I saw on the web that some people were saying it is special denim and very strong.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thanks for the good information. I got one which seems to be a bittle later 70' or 80's. A very good deal for 25 dollars! I made an error and got it with four pockets. But I think it still looks like a great jacket.
Is there a special type of denim in these. I saw on the web that some people were saying it is special denim and very strong.

I don't know if they are made from a special denim. If so, it would be news to me. Enjoy your current Storm Rider. There are many more popping up on Ebay weekly...so, I'm sure you'll be able to find just the one that you're looking for before too long.

- Ian

Bonneville

One of the Regulars

I won mine about a month and half ago on ebay for $15 USD. It's in such great condition, .. It's certainly vintage..made in USA, Union Label, 38 R size. It's still pretty dark with a great patina and the collar hasn't any wear. I had it dry cleaned once I received it and it's a beauty.

Ha, me too, but in this case a 4 pocket 'vintage' Wrangler with blanket lining, looks like it was never worn....$9.00!
I don't like the 2 pocket versions of any 'jean jacket', I think they only look good on heavier build guys, they definitely don't flatter narrow dudes.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I don't like the 2 pocket versions of any 'jean jacket', I think they only look good on heavier build guys, they definitely don't flatter narrow dudes.

Eh? Having owned many denim jackets over the years, I can confirm that the four-pocket versions of the Levi's, Lee and Wrangler 'classics' are all more generously cut and longer than their two-pocket forbears, thus they are more suited to heavier frames.

mrc

Familiar Face
I have a two-pocket Lee Storm Rider jacket and I have to say that it's one of my favorite jackets ever. It's slim, trim, and a nice to-the-belt length. I love the corduroy collar. I agree that the later four-pocket one's don't have quite the same flattering fit.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Eh? Having owned many denim jackets over the years, I can confirm that the four-pocket versions of the Levi's, Lee and Wrangler 'classics' are all more generously cut and longer than their two-pocket forbears, thus they are more suited to heavier frames.

Like I mentioned previously, my vintage 4 pocket Lee Storm Rider jacket is extremely trim fitting. I'm not sure how the 2 pocket version in the same size could have a trimmer fit.

And, I find the 4 pocket version more practical. Either way, both versions are real classics. :)

- Ian

msm007

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried both the sherpa (fleece) and the blanket jacket. I have heard that the man made fleece would be warmer because of small air pockets.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Just a quick question. What is the difference in the jacket between the R and MR markings on the labels?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Just a quick question. What is the difference in the jacket between the R and MR markings on the labels?

On a side note, Mr Badger can you answer my question on the Lee Stormrider thread about the tag markings R and MR on those jackets? The MR one I've seen doesn't say Made in USA I've noted. Thanks.

Sorry for being tardy. As far as I'm aware, the earliest Lee tag has no registration mark, then the 'R' was introduced, then the 'MR' tag. I'm guessing that the 'MR' designation does indeed denote the period from the 1970s onwards, when Lee and other large manufacturers had items produced outside of the US, but can't confirm either where the other possible locations of origin could be, or that this does deffo mean non-US manufacture.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Thanks Mr Badger. I am on the lookout for a good one at a good price too I hope...Takes some patience. Your information will help in the search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points