Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legendary Hellcat G-1?

Cockpit USA makes nice, if not perfect repop jackets. High quality, but for me, unless you find them on sale, too much money compared to a flipped GW, ELC, Aero, etc.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy, what's your source about Illinois? Don't Legendary jackets come from the same NJ factory as Schott, US Wings, Cockpit, Sporty's, etc? I thought we established this point here years ago. All of these low-to-midrange brands are way more similar than different.

Nothing against LegendaryUSA, I've had great service from them. But they're no manufacturer, they're just putting their house brand labels on.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
TXFlyGuy, what's your source about Illinois? Don't Legendary jackets come from the same NJ factory as Schott, US Wings, Cockpit, Sporty's, etc? I thought we established this point here years ago. All of these low-to-midrange brands are way more similar than different.

Nothing against LegendaryUSA, I've had great service from them. But they're no manufacturer, they're just putting their house brand labels on.

I made a phone call. I was advised that the jacket is made in Illinois, which makes me think Excelled Sheepskin Co. When I asked about Excelled being the manufacturer, the response was..."It's possible."

Last edited:

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I was considering that. The jacket is made offshore (Pakistan?). Their Signature G-1 is in my closet. Great jacket, but their collars are just a bit oversized. Great price at $269, with free shipping. Their Signature G-1's are now around $540.

Deacon211

One Too Many
If you type in "Legendary Blue Angels" you see a couple of pics showing that indeed the Blues seem to wear Legendary as their show jacket.

You can also see that they seem to have that baggy fit that seems to be the new G-1 style. I personally like the slightly more fitted jackets myself.

I gather that they are probably from the same factory or two as the other makers. I think the G+B custom fit is a much better jacket and you could hopefully size to suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
If you type in "Legendary Blue Angels" you see a couple of pics showing that indeed the Blues seem to wear Legendary as their show jacket.

You can also see that they seem to have that baggy fit that seems to be the new G-1 style. I personally like the slightly more fitted jackets myself.

I gather that they are probably from the same factory or two as the other makers. I think the G+B custom fit is a much better jacket and you could hopefully size to suit.

That's the plan. Will be there a week from Monday. A standard 40R, 41R or 42R off the rack fits me just fine in almost any jacket. But, I do want a more trim cut through the area between the chest and waistband. As G&B's are notorious for being generous in this area, we plan to cut back a bit on their generosity.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have no input regarding the Legendary Hellcat G-1. Finding a quality G-1 that fits me has been an elusive task. The size 44 G-1 issued to me while I was on active duty came closest although the sleeves were 2" too short. I just recently gave away a size 46 Cooper G-1 too big for me to a 96 y/o WW II Normandy Invasion Day One veteran. I will say the quality of construction of everything made by G&B is top notch, although G&B labels their jackets BIG. My G&B A-2 Model 43 is labeled as a size 40 (tall) but fits more like an Aero size 46 A-2. @TXFlyGuy when you visit the G&B factory, keep in mind the wanky G&B labeling and go with specific measurements when you place your order. When you visit their factory, block out at least 1/2 of a day.;)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I have no input regarding the Legendary Hellcat G-1. Finding a quality G-1 that fits me has been an elusive task. The size 44 G-1 issued to me while I was on active duty came closest although the sleeves were 2" too short. I just recently gave away a size 46 Cooper G-1 too big for me to a 96 y/o WW II Normandy Invasion Day One veteran. I will say the quality of construction of everything made by G&B is top notch, although G&B labels their jackets BIG. My G&B A-2 Model 43 is labeled as a size 40 (tall) but fits more like an Aero size 46 A-2. @TXFlyGuy when you visit the G&B factory, keep in mind the wanky G&B labeling and go with specific measurements when you place your order. When you visit their factory, block out at least 1/2 of a day.;)

Fanch - Good advice. Yes, I have measurements in hand. A half day at G&B sounds good. Thanks!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is a good example of the overall fit of the Cockpit USA g-1:
Cockpit%20USA%20G-1%20fit%20photo.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
I had previously posted pics of the Cockpit G-1s I saw in the Pensacola exchange. These were after market, not the same as issued.

The fit was really pretty nice. The only thing that I thought was a letdown from having owned a G-1 many many years ago was that the leather was pretty soft and spongy. It didn't feel tough, like almost any other goat G-1, but over processed. By comparison, the Cockpit G-1 I got in 1989 was tough hide and nicer than the jacket O was issued (though in those days I never thought to look at the maker).

The G+B leather I saw as recently as 2012 was really nice and what I would have expected in an ideal "issue" jacket. It was tough, but nice with a nice grain. Not the super rich leather of some of the premium jacket makers, but not the Naugahyde looking stuff of the bargain basement brands.

If you could get one made to specs, I think you would be very happy with G+B's work.

Deacon211

One Too Many
By the way Tex, my first jacket above is Steve's work. About $800 when I ordered and really a very nice jacket.

Here's the Cockpit I saw in Pcola

89042906aa8c776036d6ece80dddda2e.jpg

This is my 1997 era G+B (personalized a bit in the collar). This one is a little tight on me now and the cut is now broader from the factory. Still a great jacket if it fit.

72a6b637bfa128bc3b4fa7f5584485c8.jpg

Here was the G+B that I tried in 2012. From left to right my issued replacement Pharr, circa 2004, a new G+B, and my 1997 G+B.

1785ad45530c25bd4eb7d891f5f3088b.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Deacon: My Cockpit G-1 fit like the photo in post #16. But the sleeves were a bit long. I was told this is due to the DOD specs. And when sitting, jacket zipped up, it was not comfortable. But the Cockpit was a very "flattering" jacket. Kinda wish I did not sell it...the best thing about Cockpit is they get the collar right. Many manufacturers make it too big, or not the desired style.
So now G&B will make one for me, to my specs. I have been a huge G&B fan since buying their Civil A-2. It is a near perfect fit for my frame. Yes, there is a tad extra room thru the lower waist, but it does not balloon, or look unsightly.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I purchased the Cockpit Mil Spec G-1 last year and like Deacon211 I was disappointed by the goatskin they used. In particular, the upper leather on the left sleeve was almost paper thin, about half as thick as the rest of the jacket. Aside from this the jacket was well made and the pattern fit well. In the end I gave it to my girlfriends son and he likes it just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points