Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

JavBanda

New in Town
photo.php

Hope this comes out.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
My 1937 Colson Imperial is my daily rider (to work), & is relatively rare w/ only about 8-10 complete bikes known in existance...It's a great ride, but I'm still trying to finish putting it back together with the original parts it would have come with. I just bought the rare rear rack & haven't installed it yet. I'm trying to get the correct Colson fenders and dropstand, along with the Hornlight that will be mounted on the front fender.
attachment.php

I also have a late 20s, early 30s Hawthorne Flyer from the original owners daughter...she even gave me a picture of her dad in the same time period he received the bike! Pictures to follow...

Lastly (not for too long) I have the 1953 Western Flyer repro built in the mid 90s. It's a great beginner bike to get you into collecting (kind of addicting) & it's FOR SALE!!! I'm asking $500 for it, plus shipping where applicable. It's a little different than in the picture, as it has a different seat & pedals, plus it has a chrome headlight on the front fender...let me know if you're interested: bennyreese@gmail.com
attachment.php

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Early 1950's (I Think) Rollfast "Springer".

September 23, 2010
141472.jpg

November 18, 2010
210397.jpg

See more pictures here.
http://mybicycles.weebly.com/1950s-rollfast.html

Hi I have a 1950's Columbia in a very similar condition to where your bike started out only with perhaps a bit more parts on it. I have never really worked on a bike before but would like to restore it myself when the weather gets nicer in these parts (probably sometime in April). So I have lots of time to do research over the winter. Are there any good books or websites some of you bike enthusiast would recommend to a complete novice like me? I would post a picture but it is hanging up in our garage and well let me put it this way my husband works on cars and the cars rule the garage right now no way to get to it.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family

andy richards

Practically Family
Not sure if you call these "balloon tyres"... In my country they are called "cargo tyres". My (daily) bike is a 1945 fully restored Juncker delivery bike.
IMG00003-3.jpg

IMG00004-3.jpg

Cheers,
Andy

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Thats great, real Boardtrack racer look! I would love to find a Honda generator with the 49cc V-twin engine, and stuff it into the right frame.
I haven't seen a V-Twin 49cc Honda, but I believe you might be referring to the 49cc OHC Honda GX50 engine which is used in generators. A lot of those as well as the Chinese clone of it (HuaSheng F142) are showing up on motorized bikes now. Here's one on my Sun Retro Cruiser, coupled with an EZMotorbike Q-Matic automatic drive:
2010LewesRally007a.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
V-Twins

I see where I was led astray, the Honda Northstar, [not to be confused with the Cadillac engine,] are V-Twin generator engines, but are 620cc and bigger! There is a conversion, to make a single look like a V-Twin, the back cylinder is actually the air filter, for mini choppers. This is where I became confused!

jeep44

One of the Regulars
With the prospect of gas prices soaring soon, I expect I will soon be assembling the motor kit that I have not gotten around to doing for a couple of years.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
032.jpg

021.jpg

We finally pulled the bikes out of garage storage. One is a (we think) Mid sixties Sears womens Spaceliner. The mens bike we think is a Columbia fire arrow from the late fifties or early sixties. If you can help me date let me know.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
032.jpg

021.jpg

We finally pulled the bikes out of garage storage. One is a (we think) Mid sixties Sears womens Spaceliner. The mens bike we think is a Columbia fire arrow from the late fifties or early sixties. If you can help me date let me know.

You are right on the mark about the Sears Spaceliner, which was made by Murray. These are gaining in popularity with collectors as well as Boomers looking for the bikes from their youth. The Fire Arrow is at oldest a 1959 model, but the fenders and rack are not original. The frame style for the Fire Arrow changed to that cantilever design for the 1959 model year. However, all Fire Arrows I have seen have chrome fenders and a lighter weight rack. It also appears to heve been repainted (with the possible exception of the tank) sometime during its life.

billyspew

One Too Many
Not a balloon tire bike, but I've just picked this 1959 Hercules Popular from eBay for relatively little. I've been stripping down and cleaning over the last couple of days and have ordered new tyres (whitewalls), seat (picked up a Brooks B66) and brake blocks. Everything else I should be able to keep.
It has a Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Hub and a Sturmey Archer Dynohub which powers the front and rear lamps.

I will eventually get it re-sprayed, but first up I need to get it working and start training for my near 200 mile bike ride in June.
5655179213_64d0131988_z.jpg

5650127291_2953759c67_z.jpg

5650691584_afbab47fd7_z.jpg

5650689120_acb1f7c986_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points