Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
You are right on the mark about the Sears Spaceliner, which was made by Murray. These are gaining in popularity with collectors as well as Boomers looking for the bikes from their youth. The Fire Arrow is at oldest a 1959 model, but the fenders and rack are not original. The frame style for the Fire Arrow changed to that cantilever design for the 1959 model year. However, all Fire Arrows I have seen have chrome fenders and a lighter weight rack. It also appears to heve been repainted (with the possible exception of the tank) sometime during its life.

Thank for the information I was guessing they were originally chrome too since all the models I could find online had chrome fenders but someone gave it a really bad home paint job and yes on the tank too they just went around the Colombia (kinda it is really a slap on job). We plan to sand it down and have the frame repainted but I kind of like the look of the painted fenders over the chrome so I guess this will become more of a custom job than a restoration.

Denso

New in Town
Wanted to share the following with members. 1942 Elgin 4 Star Deluxe.

IMG_20110410_095014.jpg

IMG_20110410_095002.jpg

IMG_20110410_095039.jpg

IMG_20110410_095026.jpg

Elginpg1.jpg

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I've been recently obsessed w/ bikes...& they're a dangerous hobby to get into, but here are a few of mine:

My newest purchase (still being shipped) all original paint, 1935 Rollfast:
ry%3D400

My very rare 1937 Colson Imperial:
ry%3D400

My 1935/36 Mead Crusader MOTOBIKE (FOR SALE on EBAY RIGHT NOW: Item number: 320692000736):
ry%3D400

My fully restored 1949/50 Shelby Donald Duck ladies bike:
ry%3D400

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Wanted to share the following with members. 1942 Elgin 4 Star Deluxe.

IMG_20110410_095014.jpg

IMG_20110410_095002.jpg

IMG_20110410_095039.jpg

IMG_20110410_095026.jpg

Elginpg1.jpg

Very nice Elgin! Notice how the ad says "deluxe equipped"? Prior to the war that would mean a tank and a rear carry rack in addition to the horn and headlamp seen on the bike. With the war situation, 1942 was the last year of balloon-tire bike manufacture (for civilian use) for the duration. Lightweight bikes that used less material became the war production standard. Also because chrome was a metal used in armaments, what were normally chrome parts now sported a painted finish, like your handlebars. Early in the war there would be a mix of chrome and painted parts until the stock of (prewar) chrome parts ran dry. I have a 1942 Westfield/Columbia- built woman's lightweight that only has a chrome gooseneck. The handlebars are painted black and the wheel hubs, crank and chain ring all appear to be cadmium plated. It also sports wooden grips.
Here is a photo of it (on the left) with my '41 Columbia Superb.
bikes.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I've been recently obsessed w/ bikes...& they're a dangerous hobby to get into, but here are a few of mine:

My newest purchase (still being shipped) all original paint, 1935 Rollfast:
ry%3D400

My very rare 1937 Colson Imperial:
ry%3D400

My 1935/36 Mead Crusader MOTOBIKE (FOR SALE on EBAY RIGHT NOW: Item number: 320692000736):
ry%3D400

My fully restored 1949/50 Shelby Donald Duck ladies bike:
ry%3D400

Nice bikes! Yes, this can be a dangerous hobby, LOL. I know exactly what you mean. I plan to start on the restoration of my Schwinn Cycletruck soon, plus I just recently bought a Victory Bike (made by Schwinn) project.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
Ya, it would've come with the standard (for the time period) 28". Balloon tires weren't introduced until 1932 & not everyone wanted them right away...but obviously, some tried it out.

Nice bikes, especially the Colson.

Does the Mead have smaller wheels fitted currently?

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Denso-i have one of those Elgins,too-here it is:

S6000628.jpg

I picked up this ('46,I believe) Dayton at the Ann Arbor bike show:

S6000866.jpg

Nathan

Familiar Face
I posted this a long time ago and the photos been taken down so here it is again... My 1949 Schwinn Black Phantom... Thanks for looking!
tCXKqyuAwShYtqeUzSJe9g.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
can anyone help me date my Roadmaster ?
i've done as much research as i can online but can't find this this exact shape...

L1040094.jpg

the 'petrol tank' is very geometric rather than curvy: (the chain-guard is very straight too).

L1040102.jpg

L1040100.jpg

L1040099.jpg

the saddle and headlight aren't original. the previous owner gave it the present paint-job. there are many pits in the metal work which indicates it had been in quite a beat-up state beforehand.

cheers.

Last edited:

munimula

New in Town
the flo-cycle photo was taken at pier 39 on the "rolling relics" vintage bike club ride in san francisco. the m1 photo was taken on the alameda,ca. ride along the bay.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I spotted this old Monark at a flea market and had to have it. I plan to restore it. I've put some new whites on it and have it functional since this picture was taken.

overboost

New in Town
Bikes with balloon tires, that's my department:

I am the proud owner of several modern balloon bikes (and one classic from the 70s).
A modern interpretation and as european as it can get is my Utopia Roadster:
Utopia_Roadster.JPG

You can read plenty about Utopias and their thinking here:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE Utopia Kranich Drool.html
http://www.cycleexif.com/utopia-roadster
and of course on their website
http://www.utopia-velo.de/

My wife rides a Utopia Kranich with the NuVinci CVT transmission.

Then I own a Patria Potsdam (Patria is Latin for 'Fatherland'):
http://www.patria.net/
Patria_Potsdam.JPG

Both makers are known for their craftsmanship and the modular configuration of their bikes, which have more variants than most car makers. You can specify a variety of top-of-the-line accessories and in the case of patria you can order bespoke frames and custom changes to cater for your needs. The Patria Terra is the bike of german world travellers. Outfitted with the trinity of S-M-R (Son (Hub-Dynamo) - Magura (hydraulic brakes) - Rohloff (14 internal gears in a hub) )

Those balloon Bikes have 60mm wide tires in 28inch (so what is now called 29ers in the mountain bikes scene)

Finally I aquired a 70s Hercules Estrella in mint condition, with the then very modern Pentasport 5-gear hub (This example still with the two cables on the chainstays for shifting).
Hercules%20Estrella.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana