Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's see your mechanical watches

Feraud

Bartender
I'm going against the grain and suggest Retro Spectator not get a vintage timepiece at this time.

His stated price point is under $35 dollars. If he finds a vintage piece at that price it may require servicing which may or may not be available in his area. Cleaning/repair service will be a cost he may not want to shoulder.

Start researching modern brands online. You may have to go over $35 dollars. If money is an issue at this time, hold off and save until you find something reliable.

I'm going against the grain and suggest Retro Spectator not get a vintage timepiece at this time.

His stated price point is under $35 dollars. If he finds a vintage piece at that price it may require servicing which may or may not be available in his area. Cleaning/repair service will be a cost he may not want to shoulder.

Start researching modern brands online. You may have to go over $35 dollars. If money is an issue at this time, hold off and save until you find something reliable.

You and your splashing the cold water of a possible reality on us. :( :p

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
All vintage mechanical watches require servicing unless the seller has serviced them. Services cost in excess of $100. Done right, more than twice that. For $35 you could only get a parts (a watch we watchmakers use for parts). In that price range, I would recommend a quartz watch in a retro style case.

If you would like to see what vintage watches look like, go to http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/ and search "hamilton". Look at the old advertisements for the era that interests you.

Don

All vintage mechanical watches require servicing unless the seller has serviced them. Services cost in excess of $100. Done right, more than twice that. For $35 you could only get a parts (a watch we watchmakers use for parts). In that price range, I would recommend a quartz watch in a retro style case.

If you would like to see what vintage watches look like, go to http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/ and search "hamilton". Look at the old advertisements for the era that interests you.

Don

Man, I have a lot of working parts watches that I bought from a watchmaker for $35 each---serviced. lol lol I must be the luckiest man in the world. :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Man, I have a lot of working parts watches that I bought from a watchmaker for $35 each---serviced. lol lol I must be the luckiest man in the world. :p

No you are not! But, you probably already know that James. I have several old watches I got for free, and are not worth the expense to have serviced! A new watch band, and they all work fine, they either lose or gain a little time each week, but, since you have to wind them you can set the time also. Get a 50s or 60s Timex, they really do keep on ticking!

No you are not! But, you probably already know that James. I have several old watches I got for free, and are not worth the expense to have serviced! A new watch band, and they all work fine, they either lose or gain a little time each week, but, since you have to wind them you can set the time also. Get a 50s or 60s Timex, they really do keep on ticking!

The guy from Paul's Witch Repair used to sell at Alameda Point Antique Faire over here. I see him here once in a while still but he used to unload tons of watches for $35 each----running and serviced. I bought plenty of Bulovas, Gruens and Benrus during that time. :p He is a second generation watch maker. His son has taken it up as well so I know I can depend on having a repair guy into the future too. :p

Talbot

One Too Many
If a bloke is wearing a watch 'till the leather strap rots, maybe a quartz retro job will suit his lifestyle and wallet best.

No crime in that, but can I suggest get a chrome one. It will be a little more durable - the plating wears off the gold ones rapidly and they look really crummy.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The guy from Paul's Witch Repair used to sell at Alameda Point Antique Faire over here. I see him here once in a while still but he used to unload tons of watches for $35 each----running and serviced. I bought plenty of Bulovas, Gruens and Benrus during that time. :p He is a second generation watch maker. His son has taken it up as well so I know I can depend on having a repair guy into the future too. :p

I wish we had a Good Witch here to work on my watches! :D You are lucky to have a guy that is fair in his prices, around here they charge a hundred bucks just to open it up.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If a bloke is wearing a watch 'till the leather strap rots, maybe a quartz retro job will suit his lifestyle and wallet best.

No crime in that, but can I suggest get a chrome one. It will be a little more durable - the plating wears off the gold ones rapidly and they look really crummy.

Listen to Talbot. Stay away from gold-plated stuff as much as possible. It'll rub off in the space of months and your once beautiful watch will look like trash.

Talbot

One Too Many

If you like it, go for it. You have to wear it. I don't mean that disparagingly, but I'd avoid two tone for the gold issue I mentioned.

Also, two tone gold and white was not very popular back in the day (although I have nice late 50's constellation with a gold and steel combination case) and is not really a look folks associate with a 'retro' watch.

Have you thought about something like this with a stretch chrome strap fitted?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUESS-Thin-...ristwatches&hash=item3f34e5f556#ht_441wt_1152

In any case, let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I was thinking of doing something like that, but I don't know how much it would cost to implant an expansion band into a watch.

How would this U.S. Polo Assn watch look with this watchband?

They look good together, but get a wtachband with straight ends for that watch. The curved ends won't match the case.

New straps or bracelets are really easy to fit and can be done in a few minutes by anyone with a very small screwdriver.

Just make sure the width of the bracelet is not wider than the strap where it attaches to the watch.

The strap/bracelet is held in place at each end by a single spring loaded pin. Prise it out gently and you can change the strap as often as is needed.

Don't lose the pin (like I often do) but if you do, they are easily replaced.

If you don't get the pin back into its hole properly the bracelet can fall off and you will drop your watch.

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
They look good together, but get a wtachband with straight ends for that watch. The curved ends won't match the case.

New straps or bracelets are really easy to fit and can be done in a few minutes by anyone with a very small screwdriver.

Just make sure the width of the bracelet is not wider than the strap where it attaches to the watch.

The strap/bracelet is held in place at each end by a single spring loaded pin. Prise it out gently and you can change the strap as often as is needed.

Don't lose the pin (like I often do) but if you do, they are easily replaced.

If you don't get the pin back into its hole properly the bracelet can fall off and you will drop your watch.

Like this watchband?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk