Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Michaelson, as promised, a little show-and-tell:

During my one month holiday back in the Good 'Ole U.S. of A., I received this watch that my parents had been saving for me since the death of my Grandfather last year.

It's a Longines wristwatch, housed in white gold with four diamonds on the face. It's in perfect running order with only casual wear on the metal. Not even a scratch on the crystal. My Grandfather was a man of taste!
Longines1.jpg

Michaelson, any idea on a year for this watch?

Kind regards,
Indy

+ Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam +

Copy of post by Indy Magnoli

Last edited by a moderator:

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Re: My New Watch by Michaelson

From the case design and face, it looks to be from the early to mid 1930's, but if you can get a jeweler or watchmaker to get me the movement number, I can try to get a more definitive answer for you. Just a beautiful time piece, my friend. You're very fortunate to have this. Speaking of which, I just picked up a 1934 Hamilton 910 12s pocketwatch myself. Lots of good stuff out there right now. High regards. Michaelson

Copy of reply by Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
The 'Howard' and 'South Bend' pocketwatches seen on the right hand side are considered EXTREMELY collectable these days...especially the Howard, which command very high prices in the collectable market. Regards. Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Correction to above....after receiving my Hamilton 910 and checking the movement number, I've discovered it's from 1922, not 1934! And still in great shape and keeping time within 5 seconds a day. Not to shabby for a watch this old! Regards. Michaelson
(Thanks for tranfering this post over, Paul. This is one nice watch he owns, and deserves to be seen again!)

Redbeard

New in Town
Bogart's Watch

Good day, gentlemen.
I want to get a new watch for christmas. I want something really stylish, but I want understatement too. Somesthing that will last a lifetime.

Mr. Bogart came to my mind. Is it known what kind of watches he wore? I know Longines is advertising with him, but that has nothing to say. There is a offer right now, where I can get a Rotary flip-watch for the half price. What do you think of them?

Regards,
Redbeard

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I have been pondering purchasing a modern watch that is battery powered, I actually have a few in a drawer which never get worn. The mechanical is just... well... more romantic. A piece of a bygone era where style was close to timeless.

I am into vintage, though I am into looking good first!

db5zx

Familiar Face
What a swell looking watch! Great piece! And I don't think it should bother you that it is mechanical. I used to wear a mechanical watch for a number of years as a kid in the 80's (my first watch was a mechanical one). It becomes just a natural movement after a while to wind up the watch regularly and in the long run you'll save money (for more fedoras? :fedora: ) because you don't have to buy a new battery every so often.

Jens

db5zx

Familiar Face
BT;

I live right in the middle of Germany, about an hour north of Frankfurt, but will start a new job in April and will have to move to Munich then.

Jens

android

One of the Regulars
Hamiltons are great watches. I have a Hamilton pocket watch, but I haven't bought a vintage wristwatch yet. I'm still looking for the right watch at the right price.

My current daily wear watch is an Omega Seamaster which is the only watch I've not been able to damage or scratch in five years of wear.

Michaelson

One Too Many
The watches I carry on a daily basis average at 100 years in age...most in the 120 year old age bracket. I do have a couple vintage 40's/50's tank watches, and personally favor Bulova's myself. The newest 'vintage' watch I own is a 1955 Elgin Shockmaster. They're all great timekeepers (I insist on that), and have been a mainstay of my daily timekeeping ritual. The watch I'm carrying today is an 1881 Elgin G.M. Wheeler 18s Hunter. Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB