Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
I picked this Waltham up at a flea market this morning for $10. It's running but I don't know how accurately. I don't know much about Walthams but I think it's a 1932 model.
1932Waltham-14Jan2017.jpg

1932WalthamB-14Jan2017.jpg

1932WalthamC-14Jan2017.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
Hi, I recently saw the movie "Hail Caesar!" (my FL comments on it http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ovie-you-watched.20830/page-1140#post-2197901) and noticed the lead character was wearing a stunning Waltham watch:

Does anyone know anything more about this watch / model? Thank you.

Waltham produced various similar octagonal models in the late 1920s & into the 1930s, this could be an example. The company may have continued such designs into the 1950s although the Art Deco look would have been considered dated by then. Of course in the 1950s a character sporting a 20- or 30-year-old watch would not be "out of period"; such a watch could have been a graduation gift, wedding present etc. & it would blend in with the times. Congrats to the movie makers for using a timepiece befitting the time period, there are infamous examples of movies being released with silly mistakes including having characters wearing watches which weren't produced until decades after the time period in which the movie was set.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I don't mind a little touch of art deco included with an overall mid-century look. Another example is how Don Draper wore a Jaeger -LeCoultre Reverso in the early sixties in Mad Men season two. Yeah, I actually like that show. So sue me. :p

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I thought people loved Mad Men. I was amused by the first season but lost interest.

I hate it when films or TV get watches wrong. Watched one of our period dramas the other day Dr Blake Mysteries set 1960's. Character was wearing a Q&Q quartz watch. Close up of the watch face. Errrrrr!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My faithful pocket watch of 10 years was due for a service and I kept telling myself I was going to do it but I kept delaying it. I think my watch finally got fed up with me.

The mainspring snapped. So now I HAVE to take it in for servicing!! Unfortunately, the guy I take it to is closed until February...

cmoy

One of the Regulars
Carrying my 1831 English fusee pocket watch today. Carrying a pocket watch forces me to wear my seldom worn vest :D

i-kMtvrQm-XL.jpg

The watch is made by Edward Watson of King St, Cheapside, London. He was a watchmaker from 1815 to 1863.
8F0A7097.jpg

Bulls-eye crystal
8F0A7135.jpg

Hallmarks
8F0A7190.jpg

Dust cover
8F0A7147.jpg

8F0A7164.jpg

Diamond end stone
8F0A7150.jpg

Fusee chain
8F0A7174.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
cmoy, a very nice specimen of an English fusee full plate pocket watch indeed.

I recently took delivery of a similar item, also key wind & key set. It was made by a Welsh firm known as Jones & Jones. On the dial they boasted that it contained the "New Victor Lever Escapement". The watch runs - after I figured out that fusees are wound counterclockwise - but loses time, it's in the queue for servicing.

Don't lose that key!

cmoy

One of the Regulars
cmoy, a very nice specimen of an English fusee full plate pocket watch indeed.

I recently took delivery of a similar item, also key wind & key set. It was made by a Welsh firm known as Jones & Jones. On the dial they boasted that it contained the "New Victor Lever Escapement". The watch runs - after I figured out that fusees are wound counterclockwise - but loses time, it's in the queue for servicing.

Don't lose that key!

Thanks viclip! I love the slow loud ticking from these fusee pocket watches. I would love to get my hands on a late 1700's version :D I'm trying to be very careful with the key. I need a thicker chain for it since my pocket watch chain doesn't have one for the key.

viclip

Practically Family
Thanks viclip! I love the slow loud ticking from these fusee pocket watches. I would love to get my hands on a late 1700's version :D I'm trying to be very careful with the key. I need a thicker chain for it since my pocket watch chain doesn't have one for the key.
That watch & key combination would work really well with a sterling double Albert chain. That would take up 2 pockets on your vest but still leave 2 for other items. Vests with 4 pockets are the cat's meow!

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Tank Watch

I know it is a bother to wind every day, though I just love the look and the feel of having something mechanical strapped to my wrist.

Vintage Hamilton Boulton wristwatch.

First and only vintage watch I have had. Gold filled and keeps time very well. I wear it daily.

Hamilton2-vi.jpg
I THINK that's a early 50s Bulova judging from the look

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
https://twitter.com/NumismatistNut/status/822966952989696001 I don't have the time to post the photos, but after watching my favorite movie, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", i noticed the character of Dolores, the protagonist's girlfriend played by Joanna Cassidy and I had an identical wrist watch.

I would know the sight of a mid-40s rose gold Bulova "Squadron B" anywhere. The watch worn in the movie most likely dates to 1945 or '46, because the 1947 watches have a thinner s shaped stretch band in proportion to the '45 and '46 models, I've noticed.

It also makes sense from a costume design sense, because Joanna Johnston designed the costumes, and she's about as faithful to the year the movie is set (1947) as it gets. Plus, it fits the character. Dolores is portrayed as a no-nonsense, practical woman working as a bartender, so the minuscule women's watches of the day would not only have been impractical for her personal style (which is strong, and not dainty), but impractical for the dimly-lit bar she works in. Plus Bulova made a damned good watch, and (as I imagine) her character probably bought it so it would last many years. (I want to go into costume design, so i feel it adds authenticity to a period piece to get into the minds of the characters as far as clothing and accessories)

I also personally love the Squadron B because it's a perfect transitional style from the streamlined deco of the '40s to the modernist/ minimalist '50s.

The actress herself confirmed that the watch I had and the watch she wore on-screen were the same style.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Waltham produced various similar octagonal models in the late 1920s & into the 1930s, this could be an example. The company may have continued such designs into the 1950s although the Art Deco look would have been considered dated by then. Of course in the 1950s a character sporting a 20- or 30-year-old watch would not be "out of period"; such a watch could have been a graduation gift, wedding present etc. & it would blend in with the times. Congrats to the movie makers for using a timepiece befitting the time period, there are infamous examples of movies being released with silly mistakes including having characters wearing watches which weren't produced until decades after the time period in which the movie was set.
this is a late 1920s waltham, possibly 1928 or 1929

viclip

Practically Family
Here's a classic round watch with small seconds, which during the 1950s was the wristwatch mainstay of the LIP manufacture with production facilities in Besancon, France. The original LIP company was established in 1867, going bankrupt in the mid-1970s. Powered by the LIP R25 movement, this model was variously cased including chrome plated, gold plated, stainless steel & solid French 18K gold ~ the one depicted here is the solid gold version.

LIP R25_.jpg

LIP manufactured its R25 engine in-house. In addition to the small seconds layout, the watch was also produced with a central sweep version, the latter being less common. These round movements were sized 25 mm & the cased watch diameter is 30-39 mm depending upon the case. The R25 movement has an excellent reputation for durability & accuracy. As proudly boasted above the subdial, LIP used the Elgiloy spring alloy which had been developed for the American Elgin Watch Co. Mine is quite the superb timekeeper, judging from the condition of the case & crystal it likely saw minimal use ~ many vintage gold dress watches were saved by their owners for special occasion wear only & are thus often very well preserved.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points