Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

viclip

Practically Family
Having a family heirloom like that should always be treasured.........it is indeed much more valuable to it's wearer than ANY ten watches I may purchase from an anonymous source ..........
M
Your sentiment is much appreciated. I can't believe how utterly stupid I was for never having asked my father about the watch. He passed away in 1995.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
After a considerable wait, my prized Ball railroad watch is back home again!!

10d372997f792f8c5d0aaa170693114a.jpg

Changes made...

- Complete disassembly & servicing. After nearly 10 years since the last one, it was well-due for another.
- New mainspring. The old one was shot!
- New bow. The old one was not only very plain and cheap, it was as floppy as a fresh noodle. This one is much firmer!
- New blue steel minute-hand, to replace the black-painted brass one it had originally!! After all this time, it finally has a matching set of three hands!!

The watch is a true RR-standard timepiece, with all the prerequisite criteria. It was made in Switzerland in about 1950. This particular model, the Ball 435, was the last model certified for use on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, which is why this model has a 24-hour dial.

Your sentiment is much appreciated. I can't believe how utterly stupid I was for never having asked my father about the watch. He passed away in 1995.
Don't be too upset.....we have ALL of us missed opportunities to ask our parents things......we think they will forever be around just like they always have been there for us...........I missed a LOT of opportunities with my father too!!!!! At least I have learned and am getting as much from my mother as I can. So treasure what you do have as well as the memories and treasure that fine watch!!
M

After a considerable wait, my prized Ball railroad watch is back home again!!

10d372997f792f8c5d0aaa170693114a.jpg

Changes made...

- Complete disassembly & servicing. After nearly 10 years since the last one, it was well-due for another.
- New mainspring. The old one was shot!
- New bow. The old one was not only very plain and cheap, it was as floppy as a fresh noodle. This one is much firmer!
- New blue steel minute-hand, to replace the black-painted brass one it had originally!! After all this time, it finally has a matching set of three hands!!

The watch is a true RR-standard timepiece, with all the prerequisite criteria. It was made in Switzerland in about 1950. This particular model, the Ball 435, was the last model certified for use on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, which is why this model has a 24-hour dial.
NICE WATCH!!!!!
M

viclip

Practically Family
I've been meaning to showcase my Ball pocket watch for some time, so here it is:

Ball-Hamilton.jpg

The movement designation is Ball 999N which is the American Hamilton 999 movement massaged by Ball & mounted in one of their traditional cases together with a Ball-signed dial. The dial is a combination Montgomery-Canadian specimen. I find that the Montgomery feature makes it really easy for this aging Baby Boomer to read the exact minute at a glance, which feature was also prized by the old railwaymen; the Canadian feature simplifies converting the afternoon hours to the 24-hour scheme, although military time is of little use to me these days (& I hope it stays that way!). The timepiece is of railroad grade thus lever-setting, it has 23 jewels inclusive of motor barrel, with sapphire (rather than ruby) pallet jewels.

I enjoy telling people that the phrase "on the ball" originated with the Ball company's mission of providing highly precise & reliable timekeepers for use by the railroaders who kept the trains running safely on time across the North American continent.

Incidentally the watch was made in 1911 & is 16-size.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to showcase my Ball pocket watch for some time, so here it is:

View attachment 71642

The movement designation is Ball 999N which is the American Hamilton 999 movement massaged by Ball & mounted in one of their traditional cases together with a Ball-signed dial. The dial is a combination Montgomery-Canadian specimen. I find that the Montgomery feature makes it really easy for this aging Baby Boomer to read the exact minute at a glance, which feature was also prized by the old railwaymen; the Canadian feature simplifies converting the afternoon hours to the 24-hour scheme, although military time is of little use to me these days (& I hope it stays that way!). The timepiece is of railroad grade thus lever-setting, it has 23 jewels inclusive of motor barrel, with sapphire (rather than ruby) pallet jewels.

I enjoy telling people that the phrase "on the ball" originated with the Ball company's mission of providing highly precise & reliable timekeepers for use by the railroaders who kept the trains running safely on time across the North American continent.

Incidentally the watch was made in 1911 & is 16-size.
SWEET!!!!!!!
M

viclip

Practically Family
Here's shot of the movement of my Ball 999N with the Hamilton movement, the dial shot having been posted the other day:

Ball Gr 999N Mvt.jpg

The gold "RR" insert is seen, in tandem with the nearby gold-filled "Official Standard" lettering.

The various plates have circular decorations which resemble "Geneva waves". The crown winding gear as well as the motor barrel gear also boast circular patterns.

I like that they were still using screwed-on gold settings to hold the ruby jewels in 1911. I'm also a fan of those old cut compensated balance wheels, mine has 4 timing screws with a bunch more for balancing & temperature compensation.

I'm not sure, but I think that the center wheel is gold rather than brass. The photo doesn't really capture the look of that wheel vis-a-vis the other wheels.

It's covered by the balance wheel rim, but on the lower plate there's a notation about the movement having sapphire pallet jewels. My watchmaker tells me that sapphire jewels are less prone to wearing than ruby.

Last edited:
Here's shot of the movement of my Ball 999N with the Hamilton movement, the dial shot having been posted the other day:

View attachment 71706

The gold "RR" insert is seen, in tandem with the nearby gold-filled "Official Standard" lettering.

The various plates have circular decorations which resemble "Geneva waves". The crown winding gear as well as the motor barrel gear also boast circular patterns.

I like that they were still using screwed-on gold settings to hold the ruby jewels in 1911. I'm also a fan of those old cut compensated balance wheels, mine has 4 timing screws with a bunch more for balancing & temperature compensation.

I'm not sure, but I think that the center wheel is gold rather than brass. The photo doesn't really capture the look of that wheel vis-a-vis the other wheels.

It's covered by the balance wheel rim, but on the lower plate there's a notation about the movement having sapphire pallet jewels. My watchmaker tells me that sapphire jewels are less prone to wearing than ruby.
That movement is really......really...nice!!! Use of the sapphires is unusual and interesting.......
M

viclip

Practically Family
That movement is really......really...nice!!! Use of the sapphires is unusual and interesting.......
M
It's so very easy to get addicted to amassing these old pocket watches, especially the higher grade models outputted by the great American watch manufacturers of days gone by.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

I remember reading something like that on the Ball official website (this was many years ago). Is it true, or not?

I mean I always thought that 'On the Ball' referred to the time-balls they used to drop at observatories (to mark midday to synchronise watches and clocks). But your thing is good too!! :D

And here's the inside of my watch:

8e277f4998b26ce7277787dfe55be575.jpg

viclip

Practically Family
I remember reading something like that on the Ball official website (this was many years ago). Is it true, or not?

I mean I always thought that 'On the Ball' referred to the time-balls they used to drop at observatories (to mark midday to synchronise watches and clocks). But your thing is good too!! :D

And here's the inside of my watch:

8e277f4998b26ce7277787dfe55be575.jpg
Yet a third school of thought claims that "on the ball" originated with baseball in as much as the really good players keep their eyes on the ball.

At any rate, I really like the Swiss movement in your Ball pocket watch; looks like a BXC-Record production. It's interesting that the Geneva waves in your Swiss example traverse laterally whereas the Geneva waves on my American Hamilton movement are concentric.

Here is an earlier Elgin Deluxe than the others I own. 17 jewel, no adjustments noted. 1938 or 1939 I really like this model watch....they were real workers....and the variety of case and dial (and even movements) is quite good, with all having the very nice clean lines with a good art deco/mid-century look....can generally be found for a very reasonable price..........
Cheers,
M
20170411_161106.jpg s-l1600 (47).jpg

viclip

Practically Family
Thanks viclip, really a nice movement with all of the right details. How well does it keep time ?
They knew how to make them back in the day. My Ball-Hamilton pocket watch doesn't appear to have been subjected to much use & remains a great timekeeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana