Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Late 1950's Omega Seamaster adjusted to two postions.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    982 KB · Views: 119

viclip

Practically Family
1919 Illinois Telephone

T3vb45E.jpg
Great looking dial, the watch seems to be in mint condition. Do you happen to know whether the dial was made using the melted glass enamel method?

Likewise your 1935 Illinois Rockcliffe posted immediately above, looks minty. I'm guessing that the dial was painted but even if so, it looks terrific after >80 years.

GJH

New in Town
Great looking dial, the watch seems to be in mint condition. Do you happen to know whether the dial was made using the melted glass enamel method?
Likewise your 1935 Illinois Rockcliffe posted immediately above, looks minty. I'm guessing that the dial was painted but even if so, it looks terrific after >80 years.

The Telephone is Enamel/Porcelain like your avitar and all original. The others are metal and original as well. Thanks for the nice words.

viclip

Practically Family
RNiwkHGl.jpg

This is the only picture I have of my last vintage watch. I am now on the hunt for a different variant of this watch (the 256 DatoLuxe), but 34mm is hard for me to wear with over 7 inch wrists. I generally wear 39mm or bigger watches. Most commonly on my wrist right now is a mark 40 Speedmaster.

I've always liked that type of watch. It's nice to be able to tell the day & date at a glance. The moonphase is probably my favorite complication, it has a "neato" factor for me.

By the way, what brand was that watch? I couldn't make it out even when I magnified the image.

Blacktocomm

New in Town
It's an Angelus. Unfortunately I didn't keep any better pictures of it. Live the watch though. Look up the Angelus Datoluxe. Outside Patek I think it is the best vintage moonphase layout.

viclip

Practically Family
It's an Angelus. Unfortunately I didn't keep any better pictures of it. Live the watch though. Look up the Angelus Datoluxe. Outside Patek I think it is the best vintage moonphase layout.
The "Price Guide" depicts such an Angelus in stainless steel with a slightly different dial namely with Arabics all the way around rather than alternating with batons. It's said to be 17j & produced circa 1949, prices starting at $600 USD being the dealer buying price for a specimen that's complete & running; going as high as $1,100 USD being the dealer selling price for a mint all-original specimen. There's obviously some interest in these, I see why you regret having sold yours.

Blacktocomm

New in Town
The "Price Guide" depicts such an Angelus in stainless steel with a slightly different dial namely with Arabics all the way around rather than alternating with batons. It's said to be 17j & produced circa 1949, prices starting at $600 USD being the dealer buying price for a specimen that's complete & running; going as high as $1,100 USD being the dealer selling price for a mint all-original specimen. There's obviously some interest in these, I see why you regret having sold yours.

Could you link me to the "Price Guide"? I searched the forum for it but couldn't find it. 17j should be referring to the jewels in the movement instead of the actual name of the watch or name of the movement.

If it has full Arabic numbering all around, a double date aperture and a moonphase that is the cal 256, also called the "dato-Luxe". If it has the same dial layout except for the numbering it is another variant of the 253, which is the watch I had.

viclip

Practically Family
Could you link me to the "Price Guide"? I searched the forum for it but couldn't find it. 17j should be referring to the jewels in the movement instead of the actual name of the watch or name of the movement.

If it has full Arabic numbering all around, a double date aperture and a moonphase that is the cal 256, also called the "dato-Luxe". If it has the same dial layout except for the numbering it is another variant of the 253, which is the watch I had.

The 2017 "Price Guide" for whatever reason doesn't show the "dato-Luxe" so I can't shed any further light on it.

And yes my reference to 17j is the jewel count of the Angelus depicted in the guide. The guide doesn't include any model name, caliber or reference number, just a photo of a specimen with a dial layout same as yours except for the full Arabics.

The "Price Guide" to use its abbreviated name as is the norm, is published commercially on an annual basis, the 2018 edition should be out around March. It's also available as an eBook. I buy the annual volume from my usual bookstore, here's a link to the guide's publisher's page for your information:

http://www.tinderboxpress.com/book.html

Even if you only buy it once, you'll find the guide to be full of useful information on watches generally, in addition to being a great reference source for identifying & valuing particular specimens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB