Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lewis Leathers Dominator No 551

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
So, since i am stuck at home all day waiting for the UPS truck to turn up (gotta love the "anytime between 7am and 7pm" deliveries!) I thought i might as well spend my time doing this Dominator No 551 review i talked about yesterday...

I ordered this Jacket a bit before Christmas 2012 and received it the 7th of January, so it is pretty much ten months old.
Lewis Leathers originally quoted me a 6 weeks waiting time, it ended up being a little over 3 weeks.
The jacket wasn't worn on a daily basis as i have a few, but was not babied, and was used to ride (with a Knox armored shirt underneath).

Let me start by saying that i have a pretty weird frame, I am very V shaped, which means that usually pretty much nothing of the rack suits me!
I am 6'2, 176lbs, with a 32" waist 42" chest and 20" shoulders... Basically anything that fits me in the shoulders is a baggy mess at the waist.
If it fits me at the waist i usually cant move my arms and the sleeves reach my elbows.

This was not a problem for Lewis Leathers, they just made a new pattern for me, at no extra charge and with a smile.
I was able to go to the store and try things, get measured, which really helped.

Now, the jacket!

In my opinion the leather is really nice! Yes, it is not the sacred FQHH that every body obsesses about, but it is one of the nicer cow hide i have seen.
It has a nice sheen to it without being on of those horrible plastic looking shiny leathers. It is very smooth, with no scaring or marks.
The thickness is about 1.6 mm, a tiny bit thicker than my Schott 644.
Out of the box the leather is very stiff and it really takes a while for the creases to form at the arms...
What really did it for me was riding my bike in the rain while wearing it, this is in my opinion the best way to break in a jacket!

The construction is as good as it gets, all the stitching is exactly as it should be, all the trimmed edges are hidden or so smooth you don't see them.
One detail i really like is the front/top sleeve seam, it starts as a flat seam for an inch and then switches to a rolled seam, meaning that you don't have the double layer of leather you would have it the seam was a rolled seam from the edge! Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but to me it shows attention to detail!
All the zippers are real nice and glide smoothly.

Fit wise, i am happy with the result, they did exactly what i wanted, without a problem.
In the end, my jacket is labelled as a size 42 and here are the measurements (measured flat):

Shoulder to shoulder: 20"
Pit to pit: 23,5"
Bottom hem: 19.5"
Back length: 26"
Sleeve length: 26"

Would i change anything?

Not really, the only thing i sometimes wish for is a wind flap on the main zipper!
Riding with it at speed can be troublesome if it is cold outside, but then it wouldn't look as clean when worn open, which would be a shame.

Which is why i plan on ordering a Cyclone No 441 at some point in the future.

Also, i am not a huge fan of the sleeve lining, which is a rough scratchy synthetic lining.
It looks very hard wearing but is not the most comfortable, it is doing it's job though and i can easily live with it.

Would i recommend them?

Without a doubt! Everybody at the store was very nice and helpful, the whole experience was painless and the result was great.
Most importantly, they allowed me to change the patterns to suite my physique, which other manufacturers refused to do!

One thing that might be worth mentioning, i did ask them to omit the chest patch with Lewis Leathers written on it, i am not a big fan of in your face branding.

Now the pictures, excuse the quantity, but better to many than not enough!

DSC_3921_zpsd64a2ad0.jpg

DSC_3922_zpse5fc02fe.jpg

DSC_3923_zpsf743dc28.jpg

DSC_3924_zps2cc4f2c2.jpg

DSC_3925_zps4f507f16.jpg

The lining is cotton with a synthetic inner layer, it is actually pretty warm and i have worn it in freezing conditions with a jumper without being cold.

DSC_3926_zps9abcd562.jpg

DSC_3927_zpsd30db3c5.jpg

Detail of the buckles, they are a great design, they have not come undone once!

DSC_3928_zpsf704f5bc.jpg

DSC_3929_zps4879c072.jpg

The sleeve seam i mentioned, as you can see, it starts as a flat seam and after an inch changes to a rolled seam, cleaner look!

DSC_3930_zps90c2890c.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Detail of the creases in the arms

DSC_3931_zps2172e382.jpg

DSC_3932_zps301477d7.jpg

Fit pic, excuse the crappy lighting, but this is gloomy rainy London!

DSC_3965_zpsd562506c.jpg

DSC_3966_zpsacc2f8a6.jpg

DSC_3967_zps9a268bd8.jpg

DSC_3969_zps8e01267b.jpg

This is all i can think of right now, I really hope this thread helps people realize that Lewis Leathers really are great jackets.
They really should not be seen as lower quality than the usual brands people talk about on this forum!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket:rockon: I had an original similar to this but minus the chest zips, probably a different model.
Dont know what bike you ride but my wallet got sucked out of my Highwayman hand pockets haha

Shoulders look good and arms length just right, also looking good undone and casual.

I dont think they are lower quality than others, it all depend on what you are looking for in a bike jacket. If you are a serious speed freak then it's GO GO POwer Rangers for me, but then again a crash at 80MPH on a Busa is just as bad as a crash at 80 on a BSA. Different leathers have different qualities where as abrasion is top priority in a slide, goat is rated higher than horse and Kangaroo higher than goat. If it's impact then no horse or goat is going to stop fractured elbows or shoulders. Which is why I wear my Aero Highwayman as an everyday, but a Dainese set on the Hayabusa.

If it's historically correctness you are after, Lewis never used horse to my knowledge but now customers have asked for it so I believe Derek has it as special request(correct me if I am wrong but it was in his adverts at one time)
So, a great jacket, well made , so enjoy.
JohnnyTee

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, the one you are thinking about is the Corsaire, exact same jacket with no chest pockets...
I ride a Yamaha FZ6, and never use the handwarmer pockets for anything, wallet goes in the inside pocket!
I feel confident riding on the street with this jacket, although i do wear a knox armored shirt with elbow and shoulder pads, and a chest and back protector.
With all that on it gets pretty snug but still allows movement.

If i started doing track days i would probably buy a one piece suite, but riding on the street i feel confident the jacket will do it's job.
In the end what really hurts you in a street crash is the impact with the car/ guard rail/ curb/ lamp post, etc
I doubt hitting any of those at 80 mph will be helped by abrasion resistance...

I don't really know anything about LL horse hide, i ordered this jacket before getting sucked into the FQHH hype and it never crossed my mind to ask back then...
I do have a Bill Kelso A2 in horse ordered so i might be able to judge better in a few months.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, the one you are thinking about is the Corsaire, exact same jacket with no chest pockets...
I ride a Yamaha FZ6, and never use the handwarmer pockets for anything, wallet goes in the inside pocket!

I don't really know anything about LL horse hide, i ordered this jacket before getting sucked into the FQHH hype and it never crossed my mind to ask back then...
I do have a Bill Kelso A2 in horse ordered so i might be able to judge better in a few months.

Thanks, Yes Corsair, I knew it but had long forgotten that name.
I had no inside pocket on the Highwayman and the wallet was too big for the chest zip pocket.
I probably have the same Knox vest as you, a string vest basically with the armour sew in. Bought this so I could wear almost any type of jacket on the bike.
As for the Lewis Horse, I saw it on the website a while back. I think your Bill Kelso A2 will be a mid weight horse though as per original jackets rather than Front Quarter . Not many of the modern jacket producers make A2s in front quarter, though I think Aero made one for a customer on special order.

I have had a few Lewis jackets over the years, all original 1960, early 70s models though, but I did think there was a difference in the way the jackets were finished[surface] compared to those of the day.
It is a bit ironic that Lewis's patten cutter is Japanese though, and shows so much interest in the British bike culture from the era his fellow countryman's bikes helped to collapse(But yes it was our own stubbornness in the industry as well)
Cheers, Anymore bike jacket pics Hoosier D has started a thread for bike jackets:cool:
J

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
Thanks for posting the report and images, Carlos. I have wanted a LL jacket for quite some time but haven't been able to find a U.S. distributor.
When I was a teenager, my older-and-very-cool next door neighbor, who had been in the U.K. while enlisted in the military, had a jacket he wore everywhere. It was labeled Aviakit .

D

Deleted member 16736

Nice jacket. I have had my eye on a LL Lumber Jacket/Countryman for quite a while. I ordered some samples, which they sent to me with alacrity. The veg-tanned cowhide was my favorite. I'll have to check for the horsehide. Glad you liked their work. A trusted recommendation always helps push a potential customer over the finish line. Wear it in good health.

dadonn

Familiar Face
Lewis Leathers has a US Distributor in Los Angeles now. Stronghold on Abbott Kinney started stocking them some months back. I will be in LA next month and have a look.

winterland1

Practically Family
Thanks for all the pics. Looks like a great fit. I see it has a zipped inside pocket. You don't see that too often. It looks a little like my Alexander Leathers 4 pocket Roadster.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Thanks for all the pics. Looks like a great fit. I see it has a zipped inside pocket. You don't see that too often. It looks a little like my Alexander Leathers 4 pocket Roadster.

Yes I've got one of those AL jackets in their black goat which I like a lot. I had a LL jacket for years a long time ago too but it wasn't a Dominator.

I've always liked that twin chest pocket jacket and thought at the time it was a German WW11 design. They used LL off the peg jackets in the Battle of Britain film of course. It was nice to learn a lot later that they're not Luftwaffe issue at all but pre war French.

Personally I wouldn't want to walk around looking like I'd just left my Bf109 in Tesco's car park. So I can just wear it as a nice jacket, and if others think it's some sort of Luftwaffe copy I know better.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Glad to help!

You can get a pocket like that on either or both sides when ordering, i just went with lift side as i am right handed.

IXL

One Too Many
Lewis Leathers has a US Distributor in Los Angeles now. Stronghold on Abbott Kinney started stocking them some months back. I will be in LA next month and have a look.

Oh, sure..thanks a lot, fella.....there goes EVEN MORE of my allowance...:D:eusa_clap.

That looks to be a great place to visit.

Edward

Bartender
The Dominator, and similar centre-front-zip jackets, as worn by the ton-up boys (much more common, I believe, than the Perfecto-style over here, at least in the late fifties / early 60s), were a clear inspiration for the Highwayman (including its name, which - like Aero itself- had a previous use in the area, but which was up for grabs as a trademark in the early 80s when Ken Calder went into business trading as Aero). Really sharp jackets, a nice bit of variation from the herd - much as I love the Perfecto. These Lewises were also popular among the punk crowd in London back in the revolutionary days of '77 - most likely because bakc then they were simply cheap, second hand leather jackets. Sid Vicious was probably the one to most (in)famously wore a Lewis Dominator.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The Dominator, and similar centre-front-zip jackets, as worn by the ton-up boys (much more common, I believe, than the Perfecto-style over here, at least in the late fifties / early 60s), were a clear inspiration for the Highwayman (including its name, which - like Aero itself- had a previous use in the area, but which was up for grabs as a trademark in the early 80s when Ken Calder went into business trading as Aero). Really sharp jackets, a nice bit of variation from the herd - much as I love the Perfecto. These Lewises were also popular among the punk crowd in London back in the revolutionary days of '77 - most likely because bakc then they were simply cheap, second hand leather jackets. Sid Vicious was probably the one to most (in)famously wore a Lewis Dominator.

I can imagine most of the ton-up boys were not staying there very long!

Because of the center zip and the lack of windflap as soon as you go faster than 80 or 90 you get a lot of wind coming through the zip.
Once you pass 100 it get pretty hardcore, and over 125 it's a real nightmare, you bubble up like a balloon and if it's cold you freeze!

Edward

Bartender
Ain't that the truth! First time I was on the back of a bike at only fifty, in Summer, too, it shocked me how cold it felt.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I can imagine most of the ton-up boys were not staying there very long!

Because of the center zip and the lack of windflap as soon as you go faster than 80 or 90 you get a lot of wind coming through the zip.
Once you pass 100 it get pretty hardcore, and over 125 it's a real nightmare, you bubble up like a balloon and if it's cold you freeze!

About as long as it took them to get from the Ace cafe to Hanger Lane and back. Or a bit further with some of those bikes which needed a lot of winding up to get to the magic number. Maybe on the way to the Busy Bee or some other transport cafe or roadside lean.

IXL

One Too Many
I probably shouldn't admit this, but my wife and I have three favorite places to stop when we are riding along our little stretch of historic
Route 66. We have nicknamed them the "Ace," the "Dugout," and the "Busy Bee." So, as one can see, I really need a LL jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a great company. It's too bad they're not talked about much here, their stuff looks excellent.

Indeed, let's hope this thread helps change that!

I will post a review of my next one which should be a Cyclone No 441, I hope i can have a look at this one with the pattern cutter to make a few adjustments and get the next one even better!
Might get it as a 30th birthday present to myself next year... (how time flies)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ain't that the truth! First time I was on the back of a bike at only fifty, in Summer, too, it shocked me how cold it felt.
Well next year I am hoping to go to the Faro(Portugal) bike meet. I will probably set out in full leathers(Say it quietly here 'Power Ranger' get up) but this is what they normally wear out there.

DSC_0892_zpsc487f476.jpg

Just a day tripper last year but for 2014 I hope to do the full meeting. The only riders in any kind of safety gear were usually visitors from the more northern European countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21