Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Life Before/After? Besame

RetroQueen

Familiar Face
To those of you who have been using Besame cosmetics...

What brand of cosmetics did you use before Besame? What brand will you switch to if Besame no longer carries the product you used once you run out of it?

I used either MAC or Max Factor before I switched to Besame for most of my cosmetics (I still use Maybelline Great Lash mascara in blackest black and Maybelline black eyeliner, I never saw the need to switch to Besame mascara and eyeliner). I will probably go back to MAC and Max Factor once I run out of my Besame cosmetics if Besame no longer carries the product I want.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I stumbled upon these lipsticks while doing a search for B?©same:
noircollection.jpg

They seem like a good substitute in case B?©same lipsticks are taken out of production ... Has anyone tried these?
http://www.juliehewett.net/

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I never made the switch. The me, the product difference is just not worth the price difference.

Same here. I have been slowly building my makeup kit for a while now, and doing so has been an investment in itself, since the first things I look into when I'm purchasing makeup are the company's ethics, the safety of the ingredients, and if the products are okay for my sensitive skin.

Besame seems to abide by my standards, but I'm not currently willing to trade in all of my products for something with prettier packaging. I'm not sold yet...especially since I haven't seen any actual ingredients lists.

PS

A-List Customer
While I enjoyed the products, I was never really blown away. The packaging is certainly beautiful. I am just coming around to the Foundation, I've had it for a while and never really liked the way it wore on me. I have a lot of PRO products that give me same coverage so preferred to use those. For some reason I just started to grab the Souffle and only used it on my under eyes, corners of nose and center of my chin. It really did the trick. I've never put makeup on in less than 30 minutes but lately the foundation and powder have been standbys for a quick face. I have plenty of both to last. But I will go back to my pro items for foundation and powder. As far as lipstick goes, NYC Sheer Red is my go to l/s. Just about everything else can be done on the cheap(er) in my opinion.

ginny

Familiar Face
ShrinkingViolet said:
noircollection.jpg

They seem like a good substitute in case B?©same lipsticks are taken out of production ... Has anyone tried these?

Alot of women over on MUA who liked Julie Hewitt also liked Besame, and there were quite a few comparisons made. It's supposed to be a very good line, though (like Besame) very pricey! Those lipsticks are nice looking, more of a "generic" retro case, without the Besame decorations.

I used "whatever" before Besame. Actually, the way I found this forum, and Besame, was because a couple of years ago I started having a nostalgic craving to find some Maybelline cake mascara. I started doing google searches, found this forum, discovered Besame! I understand those who say they weren't willing to invest in a whole new line just for the pretty packaging, when they had products just as good in quality already. FOr my part, I was just heading into a nostaligic era of wanting to collect vintage compacts, etc. So I instantly wanted to collect these new, vintage-inspired products from Besame as well! On the plus side, I really ended up loving the makeup, too.

Another vintage-inspired, limited edition, line that I paid more than I should have to collect was the Glamourette set from Benefit.

glamourette.jpg

It was a copy of the Trio-ette, made from ~30's to the early 50's or so.
greentrio-ette1.jpg
greentrioette2.jpg
greentrioette3.jpg
greentrioette4.jpg

So cute, I couldn't resist! I also have a couple of the original Trio-ettes, as well.

Sorry for getting OT, just to show I'm a total sucker for great packaging, LOL!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
ginny said:
It was a copy of the Trio-ette, made from ~30's to the early 50's or so.
greentrio-ette1.jpg
greentrioette2.jpg
greentrioette3.jpg
greentrioette4.jpg

LOL!

That is just the cutest, I love it and I've just added another item to my wish list!!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I¬¥ve never been faithfull to a specific brand. I keep switching and trying new things. However I liked the B?©same products that I tried a lot. I allways thought to myself "Some day I¬¥ll have it all". Now I try to grab what I can for now....So I¬¥ll be still in the status of trying this and that.

Naama

Practically Family
The only thing I have from Besame is the rouge, I just loved the package to be honest, that's why I got it :rolleyes: I also ordered some samples of the foundation and lipstic and eyeshadow, I didn't really liked the eyeshadow and I prefer my MAC Lipstic over the Besame one and I also wasn'T happy with the foundation. The rouge, though, I still use, but I think I don't have such high standards for rouge(?) I also use different brands like I love MAC lipstic but I'm not that happy with the make up, which I use from maybeline at the moment, but I would never use theire lipstick and I'm only using cheap nail polish since I tried some of the more expensive ones... Besames stuff looks pretty, pretty nice though, but it's just too expensive especially if you have to ship it oversease :(

Naama

Blondie

Practically Family
ShrinkingViolet said:
noircollection.jpg

Yes ! I mentioned them in the lipstick thread somewhere,
I love her lipsticks, i highly reccomend them :eusa_clap

Mary

Practically Family
The triolette is so beautiful and playful. I adore it! Have never heard of it so I'm so grateful for you posting it here.

M

olive bleu

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
noircollection.jpg

I have never heard of this company.I love the shape of that tube..it reminds me of the "Bullet" cocktail shaker.

ginny

Familiar Face
Mary said:
The triolette is so beautiful and playful. I adore it! Have never heard of it so I'm so grateful for you posting it here.

M

My pleasure! These come up on ebay quite often, and I've noticed that lately, the selling prices are alot lower than what I have paid in the past!

ginny

Familiar Face
Cool find!

While looking for vintage cigarette cases online (which were the inspiration for the Besame Vanity Case), I found what seems to be the actual case that Besame used, and customized for their Vanity case:

besametypecigarettecase.jpg
besa_vanity_case.jpg

So, if you want to buy your own vintage-style vanity/cigarette case, and put your own cosmetics into it, here you go! Pretty cool.

Blondie

Practically Family
Yes, they are the size of a full lipstick but as they are highly pigmented one tube seems to last forever ! I have had 2 since i found them,
it was the lipstick that was used in "Pearl Harbour" thats how i found out about it

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought the Besame "dark" palette when they liquidated items on ebay a year or so ago, and the gold tone is wearing off. If I had paid full price for it I would be very annoyed by that.

But anyway, I use Nars a lot lately, though I do love Mac too.

ginny

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I bought the Besame "dark" palette when they liquidated items on ebay a year or so ago, and the gold tone is wearing off. If I had paid full price for it I would be very annoyed by that.

Really? The part that wears off of my Besame products is the red of the writing and logo. I haven't had any of the gold-tone wear off yet. I thought I read somewhere, in an interview with GH, that she even customized the metal alloy mix to use for the packaging, because she wanted a certain, warmer goldtone. Maybe the vanity cases had to be coated or something, though.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Prior to, and concurrent with, using Besame, I was/am a loyal Mary Key customer. With the liquidation sale, I will probably only pick up the sweet pink rouge, as it's the only rouge I've used that I've ever liked. The MK rouges are just too bright for me. The bisque foundation is all sold out or I'd get some of that, too. It really looked great in my photo shoot, much better than the full coverage MK foundation, but I found the souffle too heavy for daily use. I much prefer the MK medium coverage foundation for daily use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ