Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Linen Suit - where to find a good one...

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Don't forget we've got a great vintage-weight 100% hemp linen in stock. I love this stuff!

extra-image-1705.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Viscose is more often used as a mix with cotton to give a garment durability. Mixing it with linen will probably give the suit less of a crumpled appearance unlike pure linen suits. Marks and Spencer is a British brand, renowned for their quality. New, that suit wold have been in the region of three, maybe four hundred pounds. Add fifty percent for a rough dollar translation, you are looking at about $600.

Yes, pure linen is renowned for creasing very easily, and so often other fabrics are mixed in to limit that (I think it's also cheaper, typically, than pure linen).

Marksies, eh.... still quite good for some basics and the oddp iece here and there, though for me they took a sserious wrong turn about 2000 or so, when they got the idea in their heads that, instead of eing "just as good as the big brands, butg at a sensible price", they were "a brand".... prices shot up at that point, and I'm not convinced they're worth it for the most part now. I wouldn't buy trews from Marksies without trying them on first, though usually they do a decent leg width and a decent rise. I have a nice brown Marksies linen suit that I bought a couple of years ago on eBay for £20, unworn.... if you watch eBay, you can often find bargain like that, typically from somebody who bought a suit to wear to a Summer wedding then never wore it again.

My favourite linen suit is a dark Navy one from Oliver Brown in Chelsea. Very classic-British cut, lovely to wear.

http://www.oliverbrown.org.uk/gentlemen/shop-by-product/suits/lightweight-suits/linen-jackets

I've also had some lovely stuff from Roderick Charles -

http://www.roderickcharles.com/mens-suits/linen-suits.html

A few years ago, I bought a black linen suit in their end of Summer sale (jacket and two pairs of trousers) for £200, quite a deep discount. Their house-cut is (or, at least, was in 2011) very early-mid 1950s.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Linen wrinkles easily. Will a wool-linen-silk blend prove better for keeping a crease and preventing wrinkles? Further to that, would 11 Oz in that blend hang well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot