Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LIST YOUR HAT BOOKS

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I'm glad I never bought this book, when it can be downloaded or read for free, right here. If you're not planning to start your own hatting business, there isn't much to it.
scihatfin_cvr_ezr.jpg

I've got that one, and I just bought the one at the link below. Awaiting its arrival:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...345532&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1158

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
Lefty, is there a year on that book? I tried backing out through the URL, but quickly got lost trying to find the link for it.

I found the source, but it didn't help.

One of the most interesting items in the collection is a little book titled Stetson Hats that has pictures, descriptions, and prices of various styles of hats sold by the company.
link

-30-

A-List Customer
The only hat related book that I own is an 1895 edition of TRILBY, bought for the

unbelievable price of $35.00 at the St Lawrence Sunday Market, Toronto. This book,

although having nothing within it to do with hats in particular, was the basis for the stage

play of the same name and did in fact, introduce The Trilby Hat to the world; The Fedora Hat

being brought to the forefront, but in a reverse manner; book mention first, public performance later.

This book, along with many others, may be downloaded from the internet.org website. Enjoy!

Regards,
J T

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I have close to 50 books on hats and hatting.The hat worker vo 1 1938 The hat worker vol 2 1939, the hat worker vol 3 1940.100 years Georgw W. Bollman& co. Cowboys and hatters, early hatters of New Jersey,hat life directory for the years 1984,1989,1990,1991,1992,1993,1994,&1997.Report/proc of the 3rd convention of the untied hatters 1939 ,also for the 5th 1946, the6th 1948,and th 9th 1956.Practice of solidarity-American hat finishers in the 19th cent.Hatters of 18th century france.Here's your hat. Hatters, there communties & people.Mr Locke of St. James street.Top hat. Story of two famous hatters.Straw plait.Spotlight on a union.What people wore. We crown then all- history of danbury.Scientific hat finishing and renovating .John B Stetson and company (1883). Luton and the hat industry. Mode of costume.From the neck up.

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Hat talk,. Stetson hats & the John B Stetson company. The man in the bowler hat. Bonnets and hats 1840-1900.Hancrafted straw hats. Hats. Hats- status style and glomor.I see by you outfit-Historic cowboy gear.Felt silk straw handmade hats- tools and processes.Handmade felt hat. Hat boxes and band boxes- shelbourne museum. Feltmaking techniques and projects.As we were pictorial remembrances of old danbury.Danbury images of america. I thing thats all of them

Notice the section about Conformatuer and Formillion only applies to Stiff Felts (Derby) and Silk Top Hats. Also mentions issues with distortion that will occur. :)

By the way some of the information is location specific (America) so that needs to be taken in to account.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Speaking of comforters, Steve, I thought you might find this ad an interesting curiosity. I ran across this October 1959 ad while researching my Cavanagh Cavorter. Note the mention of the comformateur in relation to measuring, so maybe that's all they were using it for at that time, and it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick by '59.

Martin Lee was the father of Brien Lee, who has posted on the Lounge in years past.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Cavorter.jpeg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana