Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Longue Vue Gardens (1930s-1940s)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Not my vintage home, unfortunately, but one of interest. This weekend I took a tour of the famous Longue Vue Gardens. I've lived here most of my life, and never got around to seeing the grounds and the house, but Linda had a free two-person ticket, so off we went.

The place is spectacular! The Crawley family of Downton Abbey would feel at home here. Ixquick "Longue Vue Gardens" and click on "Images" (https://classic.ixquick.com/do/search?), and you'll see plenty of shots of the house's exterior and the gardens surrounding it. Like a lot of museums -- and that's what this is, now -- they didn't want us taking pics inside, and I can't find any online.

The story is that Edgar Stern of New Orleans, who later established the first TV station in NO, married an heiress to the Sears fortune. They had this house built verging on the land that was (then, or later became) the NO Golf and Country Club. We were told that it had air conditioning from the beginning, at a time (1939) when very few private homes aside from the White House had it. Because it's always had a temperature-controlled environment, none of the wood paneling or the doors have warped. It also featured fireplaces in several rooms, an enclosed sleeping porch with an expensive doll collection, and gadgets: a built-in scale in one bathroom that still works, and a clock system such that when the master clock in the library was set, all the other wall clocks in the house were set automatically.

If you're ever down here, take a tour. You'll be impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto