Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking For Wide Leg Jeans

Captain

New in Town
Hey Everyone,

I'm a big fan of the wide leg repro denim jeans. I've mostly been wearing LEE and have favoured the belt back style (featured here). The place I used to get them from (Sivletto in Stockholm) no longer has them and I was wondering what styles people wear here? Does anyone else wear a wide leg vintage style and if so where do you pick yours up from?

Thank you for the help!

Edward

Bartender
I think Simon mentioned recently he was looking at another run of his denims in the next year or two.

Otherwise, there are a few good options around at the budget end of the market. I'ved always been impressed with the 50s cuts of Prison Blues (tghough they are non-selvedge, if that's an issue for you). Soldier of Fortune (www.sofmilitary.co.uk) do some great selvedge USN deck jeans in both a wide 40s cut and a slightly slimmer 30s cut which are superb for the money (around GBP50). I'd put the SoF denims on a par with the Freddies I've owned, though the price of Freddies has skyrocketed in recent years. They're now aropund GBP100 a pair unles you catch a sale. I also currently have a pair of selvedge under the brand Running Bear that I bought from a German ebay seller (commercial seller, new item) for around GBP60, which are good. not SJC good, but again for that lower price, good stuff. I've never seen a decent vbintaged cut jean for less than £50 (save a couple of pairs of Freddies I had a long time ago that were £40 in a sale).

Benproof

A-List Customer
Another Pike Brothers, Tellason, Nigel Cabourn fan :)

I really like Pike Brothers, although a lot of their clothing is made in Turkey which is a little problematic with the way theiir government is treating its people.

Wide leg jeans are quite comfy compared to all those skinny jeans on the market. The Pike Brothers & Nigel Cabourn are heritage brand type authentic repro wear - maybe Pike less so although they do so well at turning out some classics.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'd put the SoF denims on a par with the Freddies I've owned, though the price of Freddies has skyrocketed in recent years. They're now aropund GBP100 a pair unles you catch a sale. I also currently have a pair of selvedge under the brand Running Bear that I bought from a German ebay seller (commercial seller, new item) for around GBP60, which are good. not SJC good, but again for that lower price, good stuff. I've never seen a decent vbintaged cut jean for less than £50 (save a couple of pairs of Freddies I had a long time ago that were £40 in a sale).
When you consider the amount of hours that goes into the manufacture of decent clothing, £100 for a pair of top end jeans is really quite reasonable. Denim isn't for me, but, if you have the time and patience, look up Vintage Dancer. They supply the dance fraternity, you can get styles from the 1920's through to the 60's, the patience that I mentioned is because their website takes some trawling.
Alternatively, you might like to find someone skilled at making clothes. As I said, denim is not for me but I love the cut and style of wide bottomed trousers.
Simplicity retro 8952 is a paper pattern that my wife uses to make trousers for me to the dimensions that you want your jeans to be, well almost. The pattern will give you an eighteen inch bottom, my wife altered it to a twenty-two inch. Here's a couple of examples of her handywork.
8952.jpg hats 070.jpg trousers.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Depending how widely you interpret jeans, there's also the Darcy denim work trousers. I think they're 8-10oz denim, lighter than the average jean in my experience, but having worn them a few times they feel sturdy enough. High waist, fishtail back, very much an early 20th century British work trouser, but in denim. Finished on the bottom, so unlike my other Darcy trews instead of having them taken up and cuffed, I just rolled 'em.

When you consider the amount of hours that goes into the manufacture of decent clothing, £100 for a pair of top end jeans is really quite reasonable. Denim isn't for me, but, if you have the time and patience, look up Vintage Dancer. They supply the dance fraternity, you can get styles from the 1920's through to the 60's, the patience that I mentioned is because their website takes some trawling.
Alternatively, you might like to find someone skilled at making clothes. As I said, denim is not for me but I love the cut and style of wide bottomed trousers.
Simplicity retro 8952 is a paper pattern that my wife uses to make trousers for me to the dimensions that you want your jeans to be, well almost. The pattern will give you an eighteen inch bottom, my wife altered it to a twenty-two inch. Here's a couple of examples of her handywork.
View attachment 84848 View attachment 84850 View attachment 84851

Certainly for decent quality and "first world" manufacture, £100 is at the lower end. (Though I've always suspected my Freddies and the SoF version were made in the same place - just feels too similar!).

That's an interesting resource, some nice patterns buried in there.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's funny how the higher-waist, 1930's or '40's styles affect you. Ever since I got my Three Pines jeans from Tweedydon, which I wear daily around the house and still haven't washed, my other jeans (mostly Gustins standard fit) seem somewhat restrictive and low at the waist. I especially love the belt at the back. I'm just wondering how much legroom I'll lose with the first couple of washes.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Ben Davis has something called gorilla cut pants, although they aren't jeans. But they're wide legged (without being bell-bottoms). Some logger jeans have fairly wide legs, too and are usually high-waisted. But they probably aren't as wide as you had in mind. In any event, they are neither expensive, stylish or even retro. They're just denim work jeans. But I have a pair of lightweight canvas Carhartt jeans that definitely have wide legs, at least as jeans go, and are also fairly high-waisted. Again, they probably aren't as wide as you had in mind.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Ive bought a couple of EVISU jeans off the bay. High waisted and wide legged. ( with some embellishment mostly!). I like them and get favorable comments.
I also like the regular BRAVESTAR jeans ( nice price also)
And I really really like the RRL regular straight Raw selvedge that I got on the bay.
Not sure if those are wide enough for you, but plenty wide.

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
The best pairs of high waist, wide leg jeans I own are from SJC / Simon James Cathcart. They're not available at the moment, but keep an eye on his site, as there could be new runs of his denim jeans at some point.

http://www.simonjamescathcart.com

Other than that, I really like the high waist 30s / 40s jeans offered by Lutece in Germany. They're great quality for the price.

https://www.lutece-mfg.com/de/

The links are really good, worth visiting these sites

Edward

Bartender
The Soldiers Of Fortune jeans are actually the Lutece jeans I linked to further up the thread ;-)

Ah! Good to know. I always wondered - I thought maybe they were a Middle-Eastern product, like a lot of the WPG stuff (I've bought bits from SoF before now that had a WPG label). I did wonder where the Lutece stuff could be found, and about pricing.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, I think they were all 36 when I last looked at SoF; presumably the longer length will filter through to them now. Can't imagine their customer base buyingb these and not wanting to cuff them! I only need a 31IL, so the 36L works great for me.

Cocker

Practically Family
Yes, I think they were all 36 when I last looked at SoF; presumably the longer length will filter through to them now. Can't imagine their customer base buyingb these and not wanting to cuff them! I only need a 31IL, so the 36L works great for me.

This is the only issue about being tall, the sleeve length and inseam...

Captain

New in Town
I've been away and haven't had a chance to check back and MAN...thank you for the input! I'm glad there's more options than I'd thought. I love my belt backs but it's good to have alternatives and great to know I won't have to wear godawful narrow jeans.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider