Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lord of the Hatters, Jay Lord that is...

I recently landed this out of the Bay & posted in new hats thread. Figured I start a hatter specific thread since I didn't find one in my searching. Bartenders address if my limited searching skills are remiss.

This is real close to the Granite color of felts coming out of Winchester factory. Very nice reeded sweatband, clean 9 ligne matching ribbon treatment. 2 5/8" bound brim, looks to be 4 ligne & a shade darker than the hat band ribbon. Hatter insignia is Jay Lord Hatters arched over a derby icon as shown on the box lid...
P1010110.jpg

As it came creased out of the box...
JL1.jpg

With new diamond crease...
JayL2.jpg

Inside shot...
P1010111.jpg

Noggin shot, quasi profile...
JayL1.jpg

RBH

Bartender
gtdean48 said:
I recently landed this out of the Bay & posted in new hats thread. Figured I start a hatter specific thread since I didn't find one in my searching. Bartenders address if my limited searching skills are remiss.

This is real close to the Granite color of felts coming out of Winchester factory. Very nice reeded sweatband, clean 9 ligne matching ribbon treatment. 2 5/8" bound brim, looks to be 4 ligne & a shade darker than the hat band ribbon. Hatter insignia is Jay Lord Hatters arched over a derby icon as shown on the box lid...
[
JL1.jpg
Very nice!
I like the bow on this one.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Here is what I found:

They were custom hatters in New York from 1936 to 1988 (based on the dates in the article I found). Besdor posted that they bought some tools from them so maybe he knows more.

From a 1989 article:
"Men who wear hats faced an uncertain future when Jay Lord Hatters closed abruptly in October. After 52 years in business, the landmark custom hatmaker at 30 West 39th Street was a victim of escalating rent. But the Jay Lord label abides.

The company, founded by Lou Wald (who thought Jay Lord sounded better), has entered a licensing agreement with Resistol Hats, said Burton Berinsky, Mr. Wald's son-in-law and owner of the company. The homburgs, fedoras and trilbies will be produced in Garland, Tex. Cloth hats will cost about $50; felts, $100 to $125.

''We will still make fine hats, but we no longer can produce custom hats,'' Mr. Berinsky said. ''Guys like Tom Wolfe are going to be hard-pressed, since we were the last men's custom hatmaker in New York.''

Jay Lord hats should be available this fall at Charivari and other stores."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk