Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lord of the Hatters, Jay Lord that is...

My Jay Lord stingy velour. Soft as a bunny, with, as I describe it, a constantly negotiable bash. 2" brim with an overwelt.

Picture24.jpg
Picture27.jpg
Picture28.jpg
Picture29.jpg
Picture25.jpg
Picture26.jpg
Picture30.jpg

Yeah, that's kinda weird, isn't it? You would think, of all places, NYC would have at least one.
I had a clipping from GQ about Jay Lord and I kept it in my files for many years hoping one day to make a pilgrimage to NY for a bespoke hat. It was such a disappointment to read of their closing.....then I discovered we had a bunch out this way from which to choose. It took me a while to get around to it but at least now I have a few bespoke hats. Have yet to make a trip to NY city but it is still on my list just not for hats!

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I am bumping this thread with a recent purchase as well......a Jay Lord Hatters BROWN Derby!!
Looking forward to this one for my collection.....not real old but hard color to find for a derby......and a bump to this thread too!!
M
View attachment 83152 View attachment 83153
Did you land that one on eBay? If so I was watching the same hat and contemplating picking it up. If not then you may have just pushed me over the edge to buying it lol. Looks like i.e. Will be a great addition, congratulations.

Did you land that one on eBay? If so I was watching the same hat and contemplating picking it up. If not then you may have just pushed me over the edge to buying it lol. Looks like i.e. Will be a great addition, congratulations.
Yes................it was that hat......decided to pull the trigger.....and I am glad I did.....GREAT quality!!!! Nice felt, stiff (as these hats are) but not board stiff, if you know what I mean. Reminds me of my "The Royal Stetson" derby in form and quality. Sweat is a nice sheepskin. The sweat was a little dry.....nothing Lexol cannot take care of......
So......I got mine.....if you see another.....do not be afraid to go for it!!!
Cheers,
M

I am bumping this thread with a recent purchase as well......a Jay Lord Hatters BROWN Derby!!
Looking forward to this one for my collection.....not real old but hard color to find for a derby......and a bump to this thread too!!
M
View attachment 83152 View attachment 83153
Very nice find. I have been wanting a derby of a different color too. Grey or brown would float my boat.

KP Lo

New in Town
Jay Lord and VanDyke - real deal NYC hat makers of an era long past - I remember them so well when I was a kid - I bought and had many custom hats crafted by both hatters - my aunt would take me while on excursions to Macys and Gimbals (for Leggos) in the late 1960s early 70s. I went to Vandyke the last time (Marty was the man in charge and his wife in a brightly-colored fedora; ahhh such great New Yorkers) around 1982 or 83 when I was a student at NYU . When I returned about a year later both Lord and Vandyke were closed forever. Very sad. Worth and Worth , they were near Madison Ave, as I recall in the 70s and 80s, had wonderful high-end hats Borsalino and British Bowlers - I believe W&W are still around. Oh, I miss my old New York City; so beautiful. Such hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana