Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
10lb LW Grizzly

16908449_1375964005801656_3021134743954522112_n.jpg

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Some members have pointed out that LW sizes a bit on the big side.
One of my next jackets will probably be LW and I have a few questions about how LW sizes.
My jackets are usually 36 or 38 both fitting nicely.
Do you think LW 38 Regular would be size to go or should I go for custom?

I'm not sure any jackets from the usual makers here run big/small as they are all customs for the most part. Just remember to ignore the size tags and ask for numbers - that's all that really matters...

What ButteMT61 said...That little tag with a number means squat. I found that Stu's jackets actually run pretty true to size. My j-23 was a 44" and it measured out in that range. But those same numbers could be anywhere from a 42" to a 46" from another maker or in a different style. Get the digits!

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
I'll try to get the numbers from Stu himself.
I get different ideas from different pictures of his jackets around here.
And also different opinions.
But I'll probably go custom and send him my numbers for the jacket.

casechopper

Keep in mind that if you get a new heavy horsehide jacket from Lost Worlds that you don't want it to be skin tight when new. If it is you probably won't be able to put it on and definitely won't be able to move if you can get it on. Heavy stiff fabrics need some wiggle room to be wearable. The heavy horsehide jackets will also take some wear before draping in any way other than straight.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Keep in mind that if you get a new heavy horsehide jacket from Lost Worlds that you don't want it to be skin tight when new. If it is you probably won't be able to put it on and definitely won't be able to move if you can get it on. Heavy stiff fabrics need some wiggle room to be wearable. The heavy horsehide jackets will also take some wear before draping in any way other than straight.

Most of my jackets are heavy horse hide and I know exactly the way I want them to fit, and it's just like you said, it needs some room because the fabric is very stiff at first. If the jacket was too tight you wouldn't be able to zip it up and would move around like you were wearing a plaster jacket.
My question has mor to do with the fact that I have zero experience with LW.
With the other makers I usually work with I've got my number pretty much figured out, so I was just asking those like you who do have experience with LW.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've owned/own 5 LW horsehide jackets. Most of them are in some thread here.

I've owned 42, 44, 46. My Test was ordered new as a 44. It fits. Suburban size 44 fits. 46 Cafe racer sold because it was too big. 46 Trucker jacket sold as too big. Currently 42 Trucker that I love, but is too small.

I bought the 46/42 because I wanted them to fit. Other brands you can get by with that in some models. LW you can not. I've tried.

He only ask my weight and height. I don't know that he publishes any numbers. I never ask. I was not aware that he does "custom" sizing.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I am a size 44 in LW but 46 in any of his motorcycle jackets. So street jackets are cut true to size but any of his trimmer or military jackets are slimmed down. So if you are an old guy and have a gut better be prepared to start working out or suck it up.

sweetfights

Lost Worlds
Suburban- true to size,
Easy Ryder- true to size.
J23 Buco small (size up),
J100 Buco small (size up),
Ryder - slightly small but not enough to size up.

Last edited:

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
killer stuff here TM! Love that mouton collar too. Are you keeping them all?

I had to sell the Jean Jacket just too big for me. It was labeled as a 46 and wore like one. This is one where the leather could have been much lighter and made for a better jacket. Even if that was a 44 I think it would have been just too much bulk for that style. The Cafe is a 48, again too big for me, so will be moved. The other three I'll keep, get more of my money out of them. Hard for me to let go of jackets that fit.
Goes to show why Stuart recommends never buying a used LW!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana